Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

Discussions
Posted by beansss AKP STAFF 17 days ago

Past 'Legendary 1st-gen idol dating reveal that made fans bawl' garners attention, netizens ask 'WWYD?'

A few days after the big, annual "new year dating news" drop courtesy of 'Dispatch', some K-Pop fans are still coming to terms with the facts while others are asking themselves, "What would I do if this were my favorite idol?"

There's one huge scandal from 2003 which is coming to attention again in light of the recent dating news, the so-called "Legendary 1st-generation idol dating reveal that made fans bawl".

If you weren't able to recognize the 1st-generation idol group above, it is none other than 7-member boy group Click B (who became 4-members by 2003), produced under DSP Media. The event took place in July of 2003, during Click B's solo concert at Jang Choong Gymnasium.

After performing a series of their hit songs, the concert moved on to a talk time with the Click B members. That was when member Oh Jong Hyuk suddenly stated, "In truth, my girlfriend is here today."

Click B member Oh Jong Hyuk's girlfriend at the time, rookie actress Lee Da Hee, was in fact seated in the audience during the concert. At first, fans thought the idol was simply joking. However, the stage lights then went as far as to shine a light on Lee Da Hee. Oh Jong Hyuk then added on, "This is the woman that I love."

Oh Jong Hyuk's girlfriend at the time, Lee Da Hee, shed tears due to the "romantic" event put on by her boyfriend; however, a huge slew of fans suffered from mental breakdowns as a result of this bold public dating reveal. Many fans who were on site at the concert left the event crying.

Logistically, Click B's promotions more or less came to an end in 2003, with their 4th album 'Cowboy'. Oh Jong Hyuk's dating reveal with actress Lee Da Hee was by far the sole contributor to Click B's decrease in popularity, as the members also faced accounts of drunk driving, contract expirations, preferential solo activities, etc.

Netizens are wondering what would happen if a currently promoting K-Pop idol were to pull such a "romantic" event during a concert now. Some commented, "A nightmare...", "That's the biggest case of fan mockery I've ever heard of", "I'm seriously shocked something like that happened", "I think this was only possible because it was in the early 2000s... it would be highly unacceptable now", "If I were a fan, I would feel like I paid to be used for a romantic event", "If that were me, I'd need a 100% refund", "If this happened now, it would be literally chaos", and more.

Are you familiar with this "legendary dating reveal"?

1. Click B
  2. Lee Da Hee
  3. Oh Jong Hyuk
48 48,864 Share 88% Upvoted

keylover0923 17 days ago 16
17 days ago

Imagine being so possessive that you consider this "a mockery". You're a fan because you like them and you pay money to see them sing NOT to trick yourself into believing you're their girlfriend. This is ridiculous and until fans stop adopting this mindset, idols will never be able to date comfortably.

shyloone 17 days ago 2
17 days ago

Blame the companys they are in, they are the ones who make contracts for them not to date, they are the ones that tell them you belong to your fans, they are the ones who pretty much tell them you belong to us and your to do as we say, an greedy companys think fans want support their idols nomore if they date. not all fans are like that, the fact is you aint a true fan if you think that way, like them for their singing, dancing, rapping,looks, but dont dislike them because they want to be happy an free an date

detrick_findlay (Banned) 16 days ago 0

Comment has been deleted

ariyanyonatan (Banned) 17 days ago 0

Comment has been deleted

peppercorn 16 days ago 1
16 days ago

I don't condone this type of behavior, but I understand. You can't spell idolize without "idol" and for better or for worse you are selling an ideal, a dream, a fantasy. Companies play on that and fans will spend serious amounts of cash because of it. I think back then it was worse, today... people are a lot more accepting of events like this. If Kai were to reveal his relationship to Jennie this way, I believe the amount of backlash they would face would be infinitely smaller than what Click B had. On a side note... damn Lee Da Hee is totally different now! I like her persona on RM!

Datboiyoongz 16 days ago 0

Oof

Ilovev 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

You speak the truth my Friend.

10 more replies

idolovekpop 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

Tbh it would only be an awful situation if idols did this nowadays because the fans close to the idol’s girlfriend would probably kick her right at the spot. It is absolutely disgusting the fact that fans dislike and mistreat the people that their own idols love. If I were to be an idol the thing that I would hate the most would be people badmouthing the person that makes me happy and that I love. How can someone as a fan not support her/his own idol? It might be shocking to see the person you like so much in love with someone but as a fan you must guve support to your idol if you really like him. If the mentioned situation that happened in 2003 were to happen and I was there, I would applaud and cry along because of its cuteness. Fans nowadays and at that time have really lost their minds...

tangtangtang 17 days ago 4
17 days ago

As a westerner , I find the mindset that because fans buy albums and attend concerts , that they somehow think they own these groups, disturbing. It's definitely unhealthy. " If I were a fan ,I would feel like I paid to be used for a romantic event"

Ugh...NOOOOO, You paid to see a live music performance. Groups in the west have pointed out girlfriends in their audience. Everyone clapped and remained SANE. I've stated this before. The Korean government needs to pass legislation banning dating clauses in Kpop contracts. That would put an end to ridiculous expectations of mentally unstable fans.

T_ara_Sone_Blink 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

Amen to that bro, maybe their contracts should ban them from farting or breathing, that is human nature too

Nina14red 16 days ago 1
16 days ago

As a westerner myself, I agree with what you said. It's not something that we can really wrap our heads around. A celebrity dating or sleeping around doesn't effect whether the fans will continue to support them or not. No matter how many albums you purchase, concerts you attend and music you stream, it still doesn't give anyone the right to have so much say over someone else's life and livelihood.

annette_p 14 days ago 0
14 days ago

very true !

annette_p 14 days ago 0
14 days ago

true and as a westerner too i agree. let them date or get married let them be happy so wonder Korea has a high suicide rate ! let the idols etc have a life . meaning let them date or get married and if they do do not let them be kicked out of a group . That is insane some fans bitch about an idol getting married so they cannot do group activities with their group , stupid. What happen to Sungmin he is happy and is one of the most talented singers in Super Junior yet some fans bitched not true ones and he gets kicked sad very sad.( Super Junior is talented all around not just Sungmin but all , loved Kibum he is the one that got me listening to Suju.)

hiroonakamura 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

all the netizen comments just proves how entitled these netizens feel and how the kpop agnecies have let the situation become so bad by always catering to these entitled netizens

_Jarhon 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

"I think this was only possible because it was in the early 2000s... it would be highly unacceptable now",

Funny as fuck. We might consider that it wasn't ok back then but would be ok now because hopefully Koreans have become more civilized and understanding of idols being humans too... but NOPE...... they actually think it was ok back then but not now because fans have became MORE insane with time..... holy fuck :D

KESTAR 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

That's what Lee Da Hee used to look like!!!! She's so different now except the long hair. I love that woman. She's so funny on RM. Some of these so called fans are lonely crazy fantasists

yerewenseuljoy 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

If I was an idol I wouldn’t publicly confess especially when my significant other is sitting in the audience. I would just be putting him/her in danger. The crazy fans will probably harm them on the spot. if I was as a fan and my bias did this I wouldn’t mind actually I would be glad and honored to see them and their significant other together in real life.

yerewenseuljoy 17 days ago 1
17 days ago

1st gen fans were wild. That guy had some balls to be announcing his gf like that, he also dated t-ara’s soyeon who was actually at the concert as a fan.

QueenBlackJack 16 days ago 0

1st gen was gangsta, the 2nd gen went soft,

eigb10 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

"If I were a fan, I would feel like I paid to be used for a romantic event" Fr that's not even for me . If that happened nowadays it would be bold but if they have crazy fans they could be putting their gf/bf in danger on sight

crowboy 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

hahahah what do these fans think they are paying for? you go to a concert to watch an artist perform... so why should them announcing that they have a partner make you eligible for a refund? hahahhaha crazy

Toiletpaper23 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

If you’re a fan then you should be there because you love their music/talents...not because you have this delusion that oppa is your boyfriend...

Blue1 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

"however, a huge slew of fans suffered from mental breakdowns as a result of this bold public dating reveal." Rectification, a huge slew of PSYCHOS.

Rita2020 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

I'm a huge fan of GD I love him since 2006 but for me it's fine if he dates I mean it's completely normal, when I was 14 wich is when I started to be her fan yeah It kind of bothered me imagine him dating, that was because I was a silly girl but now that I'm 21 I understand and I guess you have to be like 14 or 17 for this things to bother you

kyungboo12 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

How do people not realize idols are normal, plain-old humans under the facade of fame? They have feelings and WOW are actually interested in having relationships with other humans too! What a concept! Many companies and fans dehumanize those who they claim to support and admire, which is ironic and very sad.

jokerfish 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

Can you imagine the sound of thousands of teen girls sobbing at a concert? (i assume the cheering stopped after that)

taestan 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

To be honest, he shouldnt have done that during a concert knowing it could hurt so many fans. If my idols announced that they where dating or in Love, I would be sad but I will also be happy for them

annette_p 14 days ago 0
14 days ago

That is sad that the fans were not happy for the couple, this is very sad that idols cannot be happy in their lives and have a family and get married or date. It is sad that the fans believe they own the idols very sad that Jonghyun died not being in love with a significant other and will never be a dad he would have been a great dad. These companies and fans should be ashamed of themselves for being so mean to these idols . That is why i love that Eli and Dongho and Taeyang and Sungmin and Minwhan got married and some of them are dads now. They still make great music and are happy , so i love it ! fans needs to let idols have a life and stop nitpicking everything they do. They the idols give so much to us let them be happy in their lives and stop complaining if they date or get married omg people they deserve a life to ! So i hope more idols date and or get married and have kids when they want ! I will be very happy for all the idols and actors and actresses and singers when they get to be happy in their lives and not have to be afraid of their fans and companies being pissed if they date or get married . Fans and netizens chill the f out let them be happy they work their ass off to please us at the very least we can cheer them on for when they date and marry !

judithleexd 15 days ago 0
15 days ago

tbh i am one that is all for idols dating. I think that it's absolutely ridiculous that fans think they can own them.

I'm saying that, i do believe the doing a romantic event at a concert is inappropriate. The fans paid money for something advertised, and truth is the concert is an event. If he wanted to do a concert for her he could have done it privately. They want their private life to be accepted, and although they should be able to announce it and not have to keep it hidden, it's unprofessional to do it while they are "working"

T_ara_Sone_Blink 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

Agree with “Keylover” Below, asking people of that age not to fall in love or deny yourself a relationship, goes against basic human nature! And fans that get bent out of shape because a person falls 😍 with someone other than them are delusional! It should be illegal to put in contracts! Like why don’t they ban breathing air!

QueenBlackJack 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

Guys please stop insulting "Korea". Its just the fangirls and fanboys. The people are just commenting upon the reality that idols do sell themselves as bg/gf and so the fans react the way that they do. Stop insulting a country based upon their pop culture..you sound ignorant.

changminbaby 16 days ago 0

NO OFFENSE BUT KNETIZENS NEED TO GET OPENMINDED DAMN IT, why are they so DELULU

what nightmare are they talking about ,do they expect those idols to not date and to not get married??then they cry when they hear about idols getting depressed i mean what do you expect?? why is popularity to them is single guys, its about talent not about him dating or not seriously

Daydreamer68154 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

Some Asians find the public show of romance and affection disrespectful of fans... I think this is promoting unhealthy ideas of reality, and creating obsessive fantasies. Reading some of the comments about how today the girlfriend would get hurt is suggesting that Asian fans are violent and criminal. Are Asian fans unable to separate fantasy from reality? Just because the entertainment company promotes a group as a fantasy the fan should be able to understand the reality. Purchasing the music, and concert tickets or merchandise does not give a fan ownership of any performer.

Cutie888 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

That's the biggest case of fan mockery I've ever heard of" ...... well this is the most exaggerated comment I’ve ever heard of

LittleSukie 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

I mean, I know that agencies are selling this "our idols are pure as the mountain snow" fantasy to fans. But common,even I, with my pink glasses, know that is not true. I love fantasizing. Boy, as a lit student, that is what I do on daily basis while reading books and watching different media. I had fantasizes about idols just bcs I felt like it. I didn't mind if they had gf's or not cause I am never going to come close to any of them anyway. I don't think I would like half of them if I ever met them personally. But I do love KPOP and that is the only thing people should focus on, music and their performance. What idols do in their private lives is none of our business. They are humans and need love like all of us. Fans should criticize them solely for their bad behavior and lack of manners, none of which include dating.OK, that is my 2 cents.

P.S I legit think that girl would be in danger if any well known or known idol would pull a stint like this today. She would be dead and burried before security reached her in the arena.

DelightGalaxy 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

Because the delusion of the "the fans are our girlfriends" is created by the companies. It is not idols fault.

im really against that statement .

even bts' RM said that to avoid answering in the AMAs or the BBMA red carpet , i dont remember exactly, but i dont agree with that.

i dont agree either when they get exposed.

just let them date. i know it is impossible but let them be. They are in their 20s.

xuguanghui (Banned) 17 days ago 0

Comment has been deleted

crazyawesomeyall 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

Omg Koreans (yes, Korean Americans too) are fucking NUTS!!! How is dating someone a mockery to fans? Such fucking idiots and losers omg I can’t even.. /eyeroll

B.I.G (Boys In Groove)