AWW

Entire class of 5th-graders learns sign language to communicate with a deaf classmate

By KpopJoA   25 days ago   12,094   522   13
buzz

Instead of discriminating, one elementary school is embracing their fellow classmate who is deaf, sending out a warm message.

On May 31, MBC News covered a story of Daejeon Seongnam Elementary School's 5th-grade class, learning sign language for a deaf classmate.

SEE ALSO: Woman severely injures two people by plunging through a glass wall of a hospital with her car

The students had smiles on their faces as they followed the teacher's hand gestures. One student said in an interview, "Whenever the friend asked for something, we had to communicate with our bodies but after today, I think it will be much easier to speak with one another."

The student with the hearing disability shared, "My heart was hurt when I realized I was all alone as the students were unable to communicate in sign language."

A teacher at Daejeon Seongnam Elementary School explained, "We are doing our best to teach students how to communicate properly and not push someone away just because they are different, but to think they are the same human beings like themselves."

Remind anyone of 'A Silent Voice'?

1. Buzz
    2. misc

iciviuja 22 days ago

wow hats off to the teacher... how i wish i'm in the class too haha

hyukki 24 days ago

FANTASTIC! WHAT A TEACHER! AND STUDENTS..... THIS IS WHAT KOREA NEEDS TO TEACH THEIR KIDS, NOT JUST MATH...

PeachParrot 24 days ago

instantly remembered 'koe no katachi'

majong 25 days ago

This reminds me of the Manga and Anime "koe no katachi" or "a silent voice".

judyi 25 days ago

its teachers like her that make the world just a bit better. Its also a good lesson for children to see that if you work together just one person can change their perspective of what another person is living thru. I'm very happy that this was taught. I was also taught sign language at school when i was young. The only thing i can remember is how to spell my name. Even tho that was a LONG LONG time ago, I still remember my teacher saying that it was a blessing to see, hear, talk and that some people could not but that our hearts still want to Speak and Hear what others have to say.

Iamalittledai5y 25 days ago

Sou touching, do not make me cry at the office.

highlight95 25 days ago

its so nice

Peejeon 25 days ago

*opens new tab* *types WikiHow* *Searches how to stop crying* This is so sweet. I am so touched by their movement

riae158 25 days ago

This is great :) It reminds me of my first-grade teacher who once had a deaf student and taught her class some sign language. Even when they all moved up to the next grade level, she continued teaching each year's class some sign language. Three years after the deaf student had left (this was now my class), the teacher continued teaching us all sign language even though we didn't have a deaf student, because we would "never know when we need to use it." She was a good teacher.

Zephyros 25 days ago