DMTN's Daniel and Cha No Ah receive their sentence for the marijuana case

by serendipity
  • 1
  • 0
  • 511
  • 125270
  • 937

The court has dealt out their sentencing today for the marijuana case involving DMTN's Daniel, Cha Seung Won's son Cha No Ah, and more.

SEE ALSO: Prosecution demands 1 year jail sentence for DMTN's Daniel

The prosecution previously demanded a jail sentence of 1 year and a penalty of 6,690,500 KRW or 6,034 USD for Daniel, and the court has revealed their decision today.

On the 17th, the court stated, "Daniel acted as the intermediary in the selling of marijuana 12 times and sold marijuana 4 times." It is also said that although he previously denied smoking it in the very beginning of the investigation, after a hair strand test was conducted the prosecution found that he tested positive for it. And so today, the court sentenced him to 1 year in jail and a penalty of 7,160,000 KRW.

Regarding Daniel's plea for leniency last time, in which his lawyer argued that having grown up in the U.S., Daniel has a more relaxed attitude towards marijuana, the court stated, "Even if he has a weak recognition that smoking marijuana is illegal, it is still a crime. Especially selling and acting as the intermediary in selling is a major crime."

"Daniel has participated in the hearings and investigation seriously and diligently and he has also expressed that he will enlist in the military on his own and serve the country. Taking these factors into consideration, we have sentenced him to the minimum amount that we can give him based on the law."

As for Cha No Ah, the prosecution previously demanded a jail sentence of 10 months for smoking marijuana 2-3 times. However, the final sentence he received was lighter as the court gave him a suspended sentence of 6 month jail term suspended for 2 years (this means that if he does not cause further problems for the next 2 years on probation, the judge will usually throw out the jail sentence). The court did not expand much upon their reasons for their decision on Cha No Ah, but it seems because his offense is lighter compared to the others involved in the case, they awarded him a lighter sentence.

Source: Sports Seoul (1) (2), Kyunghang, Star News

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 523 comments

Sort by:

raveeeh_sama
· Posted December 18, 2013 @ 4:57 am

Just wanted to remind him that there's still people who love him and people who will never leave his side no matter how hard it gets. I am here for you Daniel. I love you, I always did and I always will. Do not ever forget that. I wonder how many people will be running to you when this scandal gets forgotten but I am here for the whole time and I know I'm not the only one. One day you will be the Pops in Seoul's MC again. Sooner or later you'll get out of that place baby. I love you Daniel Chae, now and forever. <333

caity
· Posted November 27, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

I think he could've gotten away without any punishment if he had just been caught doing the stuff, but selling is a completely different story. I wish he could've gotten probation or something,but since he didn't I hope he learns from this experience.

kojaxxix
· Posted November 5, 2013 @ 10:46 am

I can't believe this is just so recent! i feel so bad for Daniel. :(

redeim
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

Does anyone know... is Daniel an American or Korean citizen???
If he is an American citizen... is no one going to comment on the mention of military duty?

polygltbutterfly
· Posted October 21, 2013 @ 2:40 am
Daniel is an American citizen, I think he's from California actually. But he's been in Korea for a while. If you are not a born Korean you don't have to serve but some choose to do so anyway, it aids in their image.
ceojyp
· Posted November 27, 2013 @ 4:31 pm
he is american, he dont need to serve, and some people here is claiming to know his sister, she is in a school on LA (that's all i know).
nimwoo
· Posted October 8, 2014 @ 10:36 am
He's actually an American citizen. That's why the sentence is lower because he offered to do the military service by his own, because he doesn't need to do it but he chose to anyway.

stevieq
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 8:32 am

This makes me really sad but it is what it is.  I sincerely hope that they learn a lesson from this not try to deal or do drugs ever again.

makotokarasuma
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 7:31 am

he sold marijuana.. so that make's him a drug dealer? hahaha >.< No one dies from marijuana.. it can actually temporarily calm your brain.. makes you relax a little bit..

knutgardon
· Posted October 22, 2013 @ 10:29 am
Yes, so is the law in South Korea and pretty much everywhere else. Even in Amsterdam selling marijuana without proper authorization makes you a drug dealer. Sellers are well advised to study the local law enforcement on the issue. What you can get away with one place, can get you a neck lengthening another place.

sumimaro
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 5:59 am

Daniel we will wait for you ♥

ketikim
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 4:22 am
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

_freda21
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 3:37 am
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

3_3lia
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 3:00 am

I feel bad for Daniel > but he should go to the jail for his bad behaviors

kyu88
· Posted October 20, 2013 @ 12:32 am

Awww noooo Daniel. I love DMTN.....will continue to support you guys. But I guess every one should be charged the same, regardless if they famous or not.

agettold
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 11:04 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

sakura288
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

I think one year is a fair sentence.

sarah11e
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 9:26 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

sharonshawna472
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 8:31 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

rice47
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 6:56 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

raeganraina
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 6:52 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

alondraalma
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 4:28 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

sposs1972
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 3:37 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS.

exopetalelf
· Posted October 19, 2013 @ 3:00 pm

Oh my goodness... jailed... that's so harsh! o_O I don't know what to say.