Variety

Heechul talks about SM's stance on idols composing their own music

November 7, 2013 @ 11:34 am
by alim17
  • 1
  • 0
  • 697
  • 117744
  • 1001

On the November 7 installment of JTBC's 'Ssul Jeon,' Heechul talked about SM Entertainment's stance on their idols composing their own music as well as SM's very own composer Yoo Young Jin, who recently ranked fourth on the list of song producers who made the highest income in 2012.

SEE ALSO: Girls' Generation reported to have scheduled 7th anniversary concert in China early next year

In this episode, Kim Gu Ra asked in relation to SM Entertainment, "Why don't they raise their singers as composers, too?"

Heechul replied, "In Lee Soo Man's opinion, 'If you're not better than the expert composers, just accept the music and sing it.'  He says the purpose is to leave it to the experts and have fun on stage."

However, Kim Gu Ra continued, "This could seem true on the surface.  But wouldn't it be better if they motivated you if you did well like in YG?  If even Kangin were to practice self-restraint and write songs, he could become a prominent singer-songwriter," making everyone laugh.

Heechul responded, "We likewise think it would be nice if we could do both, but we cannot get over the wall that is Yoo Young Jin and Kenzie."

Kim Gu Ra asked, "How are Yoo Young Jin's songs?  From the receiving end, do you think there is a competitive edge?"

As usual, Heechul was very truthful in his answer: "There was a time I listened to the guide version and thought, 'What do I do?' . . . Girls' Generation's 'The Boys' did well just because it was Girls' Generation.  I even said once that I don't know what would happen if someone else sang that song."

Kim Gu Ra amused everyone by referring to a forgotten girl group, "It wouldn't have done well if it were T.T.Ma."

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 703 comments

Sort by:

rookienoona
· Posted December 1, 2013 @ 10:55 am

OMG he's so right! songs like IGAB done well just because it was GG. also many of their other songs become hits when most of the time the song was sung by another artist before

lee_minhye
· Posted November 22, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Kim Heechul: The voice of all kpop fans.(Sorry Sones)

dageko06
· Posted November 11, 2013 @ 12:07 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS. (Reason: spammer)

skittle316
· Posted November 10, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

Writing your own songs doesn't mean they are good nor that will people like them. Think about it SM gets backlash for a lot of th songs they release. If they came from the idols themselves people would be saying for SM to hire song writers and producers.

I personally hate when people use "they don't even write there songs" to bash someone since at the end of the day you view them and there music negatively, if they wrote it themselves your opinion does not change at all because you would just bash there song writing skills. Like others have said let people do what they can personally succeed at. You can't force someone to do something they aren't capable of doing well just for some status of a song writer.

Also the MC is wrong, I like YG but people need to understand GD is the only one really capable of "good" writing songs.

makode06
· Posted November 10, 2013 @ 2:26 pm
This comment has been removed due to violation of our TOS. (Reason: spammer)

lee_brothers
· Posted November 10, 2013 @ 12:13 am

honest heechul who doesn't give a fvck about what others think about him is really one of a kind, the only one in the industry I say

the fact that SJ has created/composed/contributed as lyricists in numbers of songs in their albums must have marked something then, it's not easy with SM being strict and picky, but SJ managed to always contribute in the making :)

polygltbutterfly
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 11:40 pm

Couldn't love Heechul anymore than I do right now. Not only did he confirm suspecion but he said what so many nonsones were thinking and he did with few cares haha. I wish SM had more collaborations imagine an Onew and Kyuhyun collab, or separate promotions that way groups don't feel so tired and get more off time without fans being rowdy of a comeback.  I loved Henry's promotion he made so many new fans its great. Sm needs to utilize this more.

darkangel1802
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 11:58 am

"Girls Generation's 'The Boys' did well just because it was Girls' Generation.  I even said once that I don't know what would happen if someone else sang that song."

Finally someone from the industry said it, like a BOSS!

dioraddict
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 3:11 pm
boy was honest

SuJu2428
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 5:46 am

Finally, someone said it.. People are like downvoting and bashing others who says that the boys is not that good.. that it's just gg that's why it got popular.. but it's true...

hands down to Heechul for being honest and direct to the point.. I hope people will be just like Heechul and not taking sides because it's their bias...

sukimiwa
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 10:28 am
Definitely! When someone says that my favorite band's song isn't that good, I have to accept it. The things I won't accept are people bad mouthing my favorite band, its members, expressing hatred and nonsense. But when it's not that case, when it's just an opinion we must accept it or ignore it, after all, it's a person right to express their opinion IN THE RIGHT WAY, not insulting, and such

beashineeshawol
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 2:07 am

The Boys and I Got a Boy were not good. It's nice that they tried to break out of their usual mold and everything but it just wasn't good. Gee is still my favorite song from them. True the artist have a hard time seeing work they produce make it onto albums but when the artists do make it over the walls that are Yoo Youngjin and Kenzie it's because the work is really good and fits in with the groups style extremely well. When that happens the work is truly quality. (Ex. Jonghyun's Yok and Symptoms). If they wanted to write songs that were good enough to make it on albums they would practice but I feel like that may not necessarily be the goal for all of them. For those who do have that goal, they do it. Eunhyuk, Donghae (there are like always pictures of them in the studio now), Henry, and Jonghyun are prime examples of that. Many people at YG write because they want to and its how they express themselves. That may not necessarily be true for everyone else in the industry. There are plenty of artist out there who don't write their own music but find joy in singing, dancing, and putting on spectacular performances for people.

sukimiwa
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 10:33 am
I feel happy when I know one of the members of my favorite band writes a song, I look for the translation. It definitely makes fans happy. So I support it ^^

buseira
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 7:56 pm
Yes like most people on here.  I agree with Heechul, the The Boys was only successful because its SNSD.  SNSD's The Boys ENGLISH version was just HORRID.  And they released that as their first american album, I was just like "NO! SM what have you done?!"   I love SNSD and all, but to me the English version was just the PITS.  Lyrics made absolutely no sense whatsoever.  I mean sure I understood it better since it was English, but seriously.
sukimiwa
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 10:35 am
I agree! The korean version is really good, I feel that's a song that root for girls, on the other hand the english version got nothing in common with the korean version.

yunnie_yoo
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

SNSD won the Youtube's Music Video of the Year because they are visually good looking, the video material is so attractive to the audience but that's just it. The song and the voice skills...admit it guys. If it were Artist of the Year or anything else..it would have been an achievement for them...

LoveGirl
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

Well for once I might agree.. but you can't look down at someone like GD or Jung Yong Hwa..

black_tuna
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 7:02 pm
oh yeah their great ^ ^
sukimiwa
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 10:42 am
I wouldnt look down on them, I read the translation to Jung Yong Hwa's songs, their are catchy and beautiful. I got addicted to some of his songs: Lie japanese version (cause it was the one I heard first and the one I got in my iPod) no matter how many times I hear it, it never loose it's feeling. Also "Love", "Hey You" and "Love Girl"
LoveGirl
· Posted November 10, 2013 @ 9:28 pm
@sukimiwa If I were a trolll I would bashed heechul right now... but tbh I might once agree with what came out of his mouth... I just don't like people should underestimate others. Someone like Lee Soo Man likes to cut down people's talent with experience. and I hate those people :)

krys723
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

I appreciate Heechul for his honesty, but if I can be honest; parts of the song were stolen from Ron Base's It Takes Two, this is why I personally didn't like the song.

tvxqfangril85
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Heechul so honest. Some people don't like it but I do. It's refreshing to see an idol say whatever he wants and knows is true.

orpdsns
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 11:42 am

or to be exact, The Boys sounds acceptable (if it is) because of SNSD. if it's given to another group, that poor group have my condolences.

thankfully SME stays miles away from TRX now.

animia
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Way to go Heechul! "Girls' Generation's 'The Boys' did well because it was Girls' Generation." Finally someone says it, damn.

sukimiwa
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 10:29 pm
just like their recent MV "my oh my", it did well because it was SNSD. If I say it, I get cursed by sones and other fandoms...but after heechul says it, and we agree, everybody becomes more understanding.
animia
· Posted November 9, 2013 @ 2:24 am
@sukimiwa Yeah, unfortunately fandoms are like that -.- it becomes really annoying when THEY think it's okay to look down on other people's songs. Just... ugh.

crystalplus_vipa
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 11:23 am

"Girls' Generation's 'The Boys' did well just because it was Girls' Generation"

Thank you Heechul for being the most honest person out there. this is  why i love him. he can be as honest as he likes speaking the truth.

babyzeloo
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 11:07 am

And there you have it .......

growupgirls