Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

News
Posted by yckim124 AKP STAFF Thursday, January 17, 2019

NCT's Jaemin talks about dropping out of school + not being able to make friends

NCT's Jaemin opened up about dropping out of school.

On the January 17 airing of tvN's 'My English Puberty,' Ham Hyun Min asked Jaemin how idols balance school and work.

Jaemin shared, "I left school in my first year of middle school." Han Hyun Min asked if he ever wanted to go back. Jaemin replied, "Going to school is nice. It's unfortunate because there's this social life you can only learn in school." He added, "I don't have any friends except for my members."

He continued, "I couldn't enjoy (both school and idol life). If I had to choose between the two, my career as a singer was more important so I chose this job and decided to take a break from school."

In an interview with the producers, Jaemin shared, "You start playing with your friends after classes but I had to go straight to the practice room after school so I couldn't make friends. I think it's true that your middle and high school friends become your friends forever. So I think that's why I don't have friends now. To be honest, it is unfortunate."

Jaemin shared that NCT members are aware of such concern. He said, "My members all know. I think it's the first time I'm sharing to a friend my age like Hyun Min," and added, "I like my members more than friends. It's nice because I can depend on my members."

1. Jaemin
  2. MY-ENGLISH-PUBERTY
44 31,041 Share 90% Upvoted

parry10 Thursday, January 17, 2019 2
Thursday, January 17, 2019

Sad reality for a lot of idols.

feyuz (Banned) Thursday, January 17, 2019 0

Comment has been deleted

badajoze567 (Banned) Thursday, January 17, 2019 0

Comment has been deleted

Queeeenie Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

Jaemin, I know you won't be reading this, but I want to say that it's not true. People find their close friends at different stages in life. I know many people who aren't at all close with their high school friends now. So don't feel like you missed out too much. There are plenty of people out there with shitty school experiences. I know middle school was not fun for me AT ALL.

He's still very young, he will have opportunities to make friends as he lives his life. And he will always have his members.

cocomama123 Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

A lot of young idols must experience the same problem. I’m glad he gets along with his members so well and I hope he makes more friends as he gets older!

riae158 Thursday, January 17, 2019 2
Thursday, January 17, 2019

The beauty of being in a group where the members are close is that it's like you're a family. The downside to having family-like members is that it feels like you don't have friends again, just siblings. (And no, I'm in no way demoting siblings to being less-than friends, but I do think it's important to have friends that you're not with 24/7).

BiasIsLucas 25 days ago 1
25 days ago

agree with you that members are like siblings, but siblings and friends are a different relationship

riae158 25 days ago 0
25 days ago

Exactly, that's why kpop idols need friends too. They need that variety of relationships with others, not just a bunch of sibling-like members.

jiwookim18 Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

This is sad but it also shows how some idols are really close to their members because they become life family since they have no one else. It's also sadder because it's the harsh reality.

nct_is_coming Thursday, January 17, 2019 1
Thursday, January 17, 2019

I don't think the problem was him dropping school per say but more not having time to play with his classmates after school. I mean, both Taeyong and Mark finished school yet they don't seem to have many friends either specially Taeyong. I actuallly remember Yuta making a remark about this before. So going back to school wouldn't make much difference even more now that he is in NCT, I think. I hope he knows he has his members and he can make friends anytime in his life. My older sister has a big circle of close friends and none of them are from her school times. Still my heart is broken for him. </3 Jaemin is so sweet!!! :'(

Kourtmehh Friday, January 18, 2019 0
Friday, January 18, 2019

can't believe they both finished school. especially mark being a 99 liner... gosh will we ever know how much intellect there are in those two's brains??...

Serependishiit Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

poor guy truely, first jisung,now him

tomataetae_16 Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

Poor this baby. I wonder abt the other members too. 00 liners..

taeyongies Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

You can make friends at any time of your life, you will see that!

Kourtmehh Friday, January 18, 2019 0
Friday, January 18, 2019

Poor baby... Jisung said he doesn't have friends either,,, WE, NCTZENS ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS JAEMIN-AH! D'x

Anna_2 28 days ago 1
28 days ago

No offense to the idols that do this and/or are desperate enough to do this, but it sounds extremely dumb. I'm saying this because there's a chance you won't even debut, there's a chance you'll debut and go into debt because of your company. There's also a chance your group will be unpopular which means little income, there's another chance you'll get into a career stopping scandal and maybe even kicked out the company. EVEN THEN, you could try to leave the kpop industry but because of a contract, you barely have any money. That leaves you with no practical skills that you need to get a job and you'll have to start all over again by going to school just to get a decent/stable job. I'm kinda wondering why trainees' parents allow such things since online school is a choice nowadays. Don't even get me started with the friend/socialism issue.

BiasIsLucas 25 days ago 0
25 days ago

Its not dumb, its their dream, but I agree with you on the rest. :(

eigb10 Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

It's sad how the dreamies are mostly just freinds with eachother :((

Znewie71 Thursday, January 17, 2019 2
Thursday, January 17, 2019

Doesn't mean he has to give up on education, minzy too dropped out to focus on her career but later got her GED, and later graduated from college. It's a shame they have to choose, can't they do both or home school.

nct_is_coming Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

Not having friends is the issue not the education part.

ShhItsChae 28 days ago 0
28 days ago

I think the '00's got their GED last year.

tvxqEGY Thursday, January 17, 2019 1
Thursday, January 17, 2019

now i am woried about him he should go to school now

ShhItsChae 28 days ago 0
28 days ago

It's too late for him. He got his GED last year, and if he hadn't left school he would be graduating in a few weeks anyway.

cookiecheese 6 days ago 0
6 days ago

Seeing this breaks my heart :(

not_my_name 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

I think most boys of NCT went through this which is why they mainly hang out with each other

LalaLus_Bangg 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

Awww but Jaemin is so sweet...

ShhItsChae 28 days ago 0
28 days ago

He did go to high school though. He was at SOPA with Jeno for a while. I think they all got their GED though.

He is wrong that school friends are your friends for life. Maybe one or two, but you drift apart as you age. But, to a teen, your identity is heavily rooted in your peers, so I can see why he is desperate for a life outside the company.

johwa Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

....hopefully, there will always be a NoMin...!!!...just sayin'...!!!

Ohboy69 Thursday, January 17, 2019 6
Thursday, January 17, 2019

It's... kind of dumb. I'm not blaming him, but his parents should know better. He should finish high school, it's going to be so much harder for him later in life. Assuming that you're going to make it in entertainment is silly, especially since Kpop likes to chew up idols and then spit them out, there will always be someone younger and prettier. Not to mention the fact that it's damaging. The fact that his only friends are members is pretty bad - that's not how you develop healthy friendships.

T_Jazz Thursday, January 17, 2019 5
Thursday, January 17, 2019

How can he attend a regular school? No one treats him normally anymore. He'd have to contend with people trying to get something from him, bullying, jealousy,... Who could he trust? Everything he said we'd read the out-of-context distorted version the next day on AllKpop.

Ohboy69 Thursday, January 17, 2019 4
Thursday, January 17, 2019

There's a whole bunch of idols who managed it just fine and made friends, stop exaggerating. Starting a career this early and making such a big choice (or being forced into this situation by adults) is rarely ever smart. Koreans love to pretend that everything is fine, but we've seen multiple examples - worldwide, that starting a career early takes a huge toll on mental health.

4 more replies

Stopudelulu (Banned) 30 days ago 5
30 days ago

while bighit's new boy group is full of intellectuals from good schools, smflop is full of drop outs racist and like to mock the mentally retard people

LadyLuna22 30 days ago 0
30 days ago

Where's the proof you dumb bitch👀

finie 30 days ago 0
30 days ago

1) none of them were ever been racists.

2) none of them mock mentally retard people.

And your sir are accusing innocent human.

And just so you know at least nct members are more humane than you are.

allkpopisgross 29 days ago 2
29 days ago

L M A O DUMB BITCH. First of fucking all, your precious bighit group hasn’t even debuted, in fact not all of the members have been announced. So go ahead and tell me how you happen to know they’re “intellectual”. Second of all, NONE of the NCT members are racist, they’re literally one collective group of people from different cultures and races. Third, hop the fuck off Jaemim. Go be a stupid kpop bandwagon fan somewhere else, you clearly know nothing about NCT, or Jaemim so don’t start talking shit on someone else’s favs. Oh and by the way, BTS isn’t even a good group anymore(: all of their music sounds the exact same now but lmao sis go off about NCT who impresses fans with the wide variety of different styles for comebacks(:

2 more replies

ExoWeAreOneOT12 Thursday, January 17, 2019 2
Thursday, January 17, 2019

And his parent were ok with that ? Middle school drop out , basically illeterated , only finished elemantry education this just not right , no matter how much sm is dream company and promise career , not completing basic level of education leave you with many disadvantages in life , let say tomorrow he get injured badly he can't dance or sing anymore , what he gonna do , who gonna hire someone who not even complete middle school .. this can't be right decision at least finish high school this should be minimal education any person should have .

taeyongies Thursday, January 17, 2019 0
Thursday, January 17, 2019

Ofc his parents were ok with that otherwise I doubt he would have dropped like that. Also, while he dropped middle school he still frequented and graduated from School Performing Arts in Seoul. That's something I guess. Anyway, the problem was him not having friends outside of his group not his education level.

ShhItsChae 28 days ago 0
28 days ago

Unschooled does not mean uneducated. He has demonstrated his skills in learning English and he has his GED. Education doesn't happen solely in a classroom, and it doesn't end at 18.

(Bangtan Boys) BTS