Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

Original Content
Posted by yckim124 AKP STAFF 21 days ago

Staff Picks: Our Favorite Songs of 2018

2018 was another year filled with amazing K-Pop releases. Out of the countless new songs that came our way this year, here are the favorites that allkpop staff loved the most!

KayRosa's Pick

GOT7 "Lullaby"

Since the release of "Look," GOT7 has been on a roll with their jumpy house-EDM genre. In addition to a fun twist of funk and future bass, "Lullaby" makes a perfect dance track with contrasted lyrics about falling into deep sleep. This ironic dance bop brought GOT7 their first 2-weeks-in-a-row #1 streak on music shows, solidifying their identity as a stylish and long-lasting boy group. The song is smooth and upbeat at the same time, with the verses and the chorus section setting themselves apart with differing downbeats. The inclusion of expressive key changes, R&B slowdowns, and switching between major and minor chords all make you want to dance and crawl up in bed at the same time. The different language versions of the track also present separate, poetic renditions of the same story, instead of using a word-by-word literal translation of the original Korean lyrics. Truly international!

jennywill's Pick

MONSTA X "Shoot Out"

MONSTA X has had a very successful 2018, including their first-ever mainstream music show win with this very song. "Shoot Out" is addicting, it's got an amazing choreography (as usual) and comes packed with more of MONSTA X's power than ever. MONSTA X songs aren't afraid to start strong from the get-go with Jooheon and I.M's powerful rap, and Kihyun's powerful vocals are showcased to their fullest as usual. And it comes in a full-English version, too!

LeJulie's Pick:

j-hope "Daydream"

j-hope's solo album has been long overdue. With incredibly powerful lyricism expressing his struggles between being an international superstar and his true self, j-hope really went above expectations with this song. His catchy lyrics, fun beats, and overall energy, you really can see and feel all of j-hope's love, passion, and happiness through this song.

LorraineYe's Pick:

Pentagon "Shine"

Despite the hardships this group has faced with multiple members leaving the group, they still managed to go absolutely viral with this song. Not only did this song climb charts worldwide, it even was listed as one of the Top 100 Songs of 2018 by Billboard! "Shine" is my favorite this year because it's been a long time since I've heard such a fresh and infectious melody in K-Pop. Pentagon brings me back to a nostalgic, yet happy era of K-Pop while maintaining a modern twist. "Shine" is suited for the group and is my must-listen track of the year.

beansss' Pick:

SHINee "Good Evening"

I believe that this song was written as a beautiful and cryptic way of saying, "We miss you". Like these lyrics, "Moonlight rises and fills up the sky; I'm on my way to get you before it's too late..."

eric_r_wirsing's Pick:

Nation's Hot Issue "Rumor"

I never expected this song to be so good. Showing up on the Produce 48 OST, this tune was an unexpected hit. The layering and the time changes were awesome, as was the payoff in the chorus. It reminded me of why I got into K-Pop in the first place. Not every song on there was a bop, but this one was.

daniurst's Pick:

K/DA (Madison Beer, (G)I-DLE, Jaira Burns) "POP/STARS"

Considering this song was only created to promote 'League of Legends' and was never something the artists involved in the song brought onto shows like 'Music Bank' or 'Inkigayo', it is incredibly impressive how popular the single was able to get. At one point, if treated like an actual K-pop girl group, they even broke the record for the highest amount of YouTube views for a debut K-pop video within 24 hours. With an aggressive beat and hard-hitting lyrics, "POP/STARS" is the definition of 'girl crush' energy K-pop, and it was really exciting to see a song combining both western and Korean artists that did not seem to compromise their own unique colors. I cannot be the only one hoping that Miyeon, Soyeon, Madison, and Jaira are able to continue collaborating on more K/DA music someday.

yckim124's Pick:

Sam Kim "It's You"

"It's You" healed the sickness I had from all those autotunes and EDM sounds commonly heard in recent music. I love the acoustic melody topped with Zico's soft rap. Out of all, my favorite part is the conversational segment where Zico provides advice for Sam. His lyrics are so poetic and real. This song is just the best and I can have it on repeat forever.

artistseunghee13's Pick:

MAMAMOO's "Starry Night"

My favorite song of 2018 has got to be MAMAMOO's "Starry Night." As a long fan of MAMAMOO, it was amazing to see this group try a new sound and completely succeed in captivating their audiences. It's also the perfect song to blast in the car anytime.

exocomebaek's Pick:

EXO's "Smile On My Face"

This is my favorite song of the year as it carries a lot of meaning since it talks about how even though sometimes things are hard in a relationship, one can still handle it with a smile on their face, even though it is to end a relationship. This song is very touching and meaningful.

Paul's Pick:

YunB's "Yellow Cab"

My selection hasn't changed from the first half. YunB is originally from New York but went to Korea to pursue his dreams and his music is fire. "Yellow Cab" was my favorite song of 2018 and the MV is excellent as well. Both the lyrics and MV itself depict the beautiful scenes of NYC as you leave for home right before dawn in a yellow cab after a fun night in the city.

hannahleex's Pick:

iKON's "Love Scenario"

This may be a no-brainer, but iKON’s “Love Scenario” is definitely my favorite song of the year. B.I.’s excellent music production skills truly shine through this song. The catchy melody along with the unique vocals of each member complement each other to create a chart-topping song. This song really helped iKON to break through in the K-Pop industry. “Love Scenario” currently holds the record for the most weeks at number one on the Gaon Digital Chart, and recently won the “Song of the Year” award at the 2018 Melon Music Awards. The iKON members have worked so hard, and it certainly has paid off. “Love Scenario” is simply a song that I will never get sick of!

elliefilet's Pick:

iKON's "Killing Me"

iKON's "Killing Me" is interesting to listen to, and it definitely sounds like an experiment in genre mixtures. For me, the song's tone reminded me of old-school K-pop, while the beat and electronica elements were definitely modern and upbeat. I appreciated its unique appeal.

1. misc.
44 26,357 Share 86% Upvoted

Shawolb2tyyell 21 days ago 3

Good Evening ❤

kylejeans20 (Banned) 20 days ago 0

Comment has been deleted

jennferjuner34 (Banned) 20 days ago 0

Comment has been deleted

EvaRangel (Banned) 21 days ago 0

Comment has been deleted

Ricu 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

Nice picks. I would have added some other songs of course, too, but out of this list, I really love Rumor, Daydream, Starry Night and Killing Me ♥

Armyinthehouse 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

2019 and still fighting about personal taste. They are individuals that oc are going to be more attentive and most likely will pick a song from their faves or their favourite music style. It's not that deep guys.

Personally I can't choose, I loved hidden gems like TST's Paradise or VRomance's Flower and songs like Day6's Days gone by, Bts's Paradise or Magic Shop, Ikon's Killing me... well, why choosing 1 when I can make a long as hell playlist 😎

kikiinfinite95 21 days ago 1
21 days ago

MONSTA X as Thumbnail and @Jennywill, Girl you got a good taste of music! Thank youu❤️

kylejeans20 (Banned) 20 days ago 0

Comment has been deleted

kyunyan 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

This is a good list, most of the songs I never listened before, but that's because I'm mostly a girl group stan, so seeing a lot of males in this list (doesn't surprise me) can help me with getting to know more good songs.

Jaycaleb8 20 days ago 0

My personal Top 10

WJSN - Save Me, Save You

PLT - Igoholic

CLC - Black Dress

PLT - Hocus Pocus

Shannon Williams - Hatred Live Clip

(G) Idle - Latata

iKON - Goodbye Road

Woodz - Different

Khan - I'm Your Girl

Eric Nam - Honestly

Datboiyoongz 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

Omg I relate on a holy level these songs are the best like yassssssss

KoShinwon 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

only one member left pentagon what are y'all talkin about

birdofparadise82 21 days ago 0

iKON!!

Tiger_Tony 19 days ago 0
19 days ago

My two favourite songs of the year were without doubt 'I'm So Sick' by APink & 'Oh! My Mistake' by April.

vpriyajr 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

i dont listen to much kpop songs but i loved smile on my face and also wait.. i also liked weny and john legend colab song for sm station

BTS_Is_Lifea 20 days ago 0

And Eric Nam of course

ambersky11 20 days ago 0

My favourite comebacks of 2018 are:

1. Up10tion - Candyland

3. April - The Blue Bird

4. EXO - Electric Kiss

5. UNB - Black Heart

6. April - Oh! My Mistake

7. Fromis_9 - Love Bomb

8. A.C.E - I feel so lucky

9. Gfriend - Time for the moon night

10. Block B - Don't Leave

special mentions: Save me save you - Wjsn, I'm your girl - KHAN, Blue rose - Up10tion, Heart - 100%, I'm so sick - Apink

Leeleebutterfly 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

I agree that GOT7 was absolutely wonderful and the music genre they've chosen really suits them. It is a Beautiful blend of amazing sounds and talent. The musicality and content warmed my heart and truly spoke volumes.

I am a believer in dreams and what they represent. We all have dream guides to help us navigate through life. Giving our conscious and unconscious minds the information needed to help us along. They guides us through all lifes ups and downs if we only take time to stop and listen. It was a really Beautiful way to mix music, and lyrics into a dream like energy that can take you anywhere you want go. Hummmm so individual, so personal and yet so inclusive of all their many adoring Aghase. Very nice gentlemen well done.

They keep bring Beautiful and eloquent style with the just before Christmas releases, same loving warm hug style that will also energizing you. Their blending of musical, stylings and personalities gives them such a wide range and they capture the heart of the matter with the magnificence of an artist with a brush. The artist captures something priceless on canvas for all to enjoy, so then does GOT7 capture like an artist the music that reaches deep within to create a canvas in your heart. Gentlemen hats off to you this year you were masters of your own universe.

2019 better watch out you guy's are on fire!!!!! I see only imaginative and incredibly SPECTACULAR things. You boy's have worked hard and deserves all the positive happy things that come your way.

Peace, Love and Happiness

hiroonakamura 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

surprised that none of them chose Way Back Home by Shaun...that's my no1 korean song of the year 2018

pinupgirl158 21 days ago 1

YES TO RUMOR!

I actually was hoping for IZ*ONE to come out with their version just like WannaOne did with NEVER but oh well. At least we got a quick OT12 version during MAMA.

DaniellaBaraka 20 days ago 0

literally me

Hi_Loona 21 days ago 0

no love for celeb five

JohnF 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

I think "Bad Boy" was my favorite, but unexpectedly, I really love Yubin's "Lady" too. Last year, my favorite was CLC's "Hobgoblin."

Backyou 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

i K O N <3 🎉💕 Keep talent rising !!! Not only iDoLs but reAL Musicians ! B.I soon to be K-pop musical geniuses. Still young but few already notice his composing talent (even WON award). Cant imagine few more years & emotional experiences of his own such as heartache & desperation he could create song beyond Masterpiece ! In B.I - iKONICS trust ! Kudos to B O B B Y as well !

eager_beaver 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

That's a lot of men on the list.

KPOP_HUMAN 21 days ago 8

Where is FAKE LOVE?

hiroonakamura 21 days ago 2
21 days ago

it's not that great of a song compared to the best songs of the year

Mhizdarhmey 20 days ago 1

you say what?

hiroonakamura 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

i said that fake love isnt great enough to be considered for song of the year

Mhizdarhmey 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

Lolll .....you know it's not everyone that have the ability to distinguish good music

HyperQ4 21 days ago 1
21 days ago

not even a good song tbh

Mhizdarhmey 20 days ago 0
20 days ago

Nah i disagree.... Even if it's not part of the list... Fake love is a masterpiece! From lyrics to beat to choreography.. Don't ruin people hard work

1 more reply

-10

rafraf 21 days ago 9
21 days ago

hahahaha the army fans will get mad because non of bts song is in the list

love_isplus21 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

Is jhope not on the list?

Ricu 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

You seem quite desperate for your hate of BTS/ARMY. I'm not mad, dude, I'm rather laughing at you.

And fyi J-Hope's song is in this list, so I'm actually very happy about this list since I didn't expect my bias to be on it with his solo work <3

shyloone 19 days ago 0
19 days ago

thats because its onlystaff pics an they just wanted to share some love for other artist so who cares, having the best album is better than one song too

8 more replies