Hangeng reveals his reasons for leaving Super Junior

by alim17
  • 5
  • 1
  • 1449
  • 334728
  • 5825
Former Super Junior member Hangeng recently talked about his leaving the group on an interview with a Chinese music program.

SEE ALSO: Hangeng uploads picture during his short break

He revealed his reason for debuting: "The most important thing to me was making money so my parents could live comfortably, and that was also the greatest motive."

However, he encountered several problems:

"I was not able to stand on stage even after debuting.  I was the first foreign celebrity to debut in Korea so the law was not perfect.  I could not film commercials and could not participate in certain portions of the schedule.  It felt like I had lost all hope.  I cried performing 'Twins' with the Super Junior members.  I received a payment of 4000 yuan (~$650 USD) my first year.

I gathered money like it was life or death because seeing my mother suffer made my heart ache.  Although I debuted in 2005, I became a rookie all over again in 2008 when 'Super Junior-M' debuted in China.  I was comfortable in China, but at the same time, I was tired of the fact that the Korean members I was doing activities with were unable to speak Chinese.  My head hurt because of them."

Hangeng concluded, "I wanted to be an actor, but they did not give me any acting gigs while they gave them to the other members.  I didn't even get any commercials.  Those dissatisfactions kept gathering until they became a bomb.  I took all of my bank accounts, hospital records, and more and went to a law office to prepare a lawsuit against the company secretly.  So the company wouldn't suspect anything, I communicated with my manager via mail, secretly went to the law office when there were around two free hours after completing my schedule, and at the time, it was an unimaginable thing for me."

However, Hangeng's behavior made Super Junior fans indignant in the past because they believed it was not courteous to the other members.

Netizens meanwhile wrote, "To say it was for money. Would he have done it because he was ambitious for money. He must've done this because he wasn't paid what he deserved by SM. Was this the case for H.O.T. too?", "First Foreign celebrity?  That's not true?", and "4000 yuan, he endured hardships in his debut to earn around 700,000 KRW. He tried hard to cast off the rookie label only to debut as a rookie again. Things like this are the reason TVXQ broke up."

Source: Kuki News via Nate

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 1,447 comments

Sort by:

shiroichanuk
· Posted December 10, 2013 @ 9:24 am

This used to happen in Japan a lot but that was many years ago. These days many foreign entertainers working in Japan are taught Japanese. I think Korea needs to wise up and do the same.

david-kim
· Posted April 6, 2014 @ 3:21 am
We DID wise up. This was obviously back in the mid 2000s where they had their FIRST foreign celebrity. They quickly caught up. There are now Chinese trainees being taught Korean obviously.
babiicupiid16
· Posted May 30, 2014 @ 8:59 am
@david-kim took you long enough..14 years. Even now foreign celebrities still don't get treated good.
reneeloves
· Posted July 13, 2014 @ 4:56 pm
@david-kim I don't know why your getting so offended. Koreans used to be very narrow minded when it came to Chinese trainees but then again Korea is a very homogenous country with 99% Korean.

aneezaful
· Posted November 29, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

If someone came from another country and asked me to help them learn the national language id have a pretty hard time, not because of my personal feelings towards them but because of how stressed out from other things i would be and the extra stress i revieve from helping that someone learn the national language.

Don't judge Hangeng without knowing the details. Read the entire story before you make your conclusion, cuz this is only half.

jori-lsj
· Posted November 26, 2013 @ 10:44 pm

This article mistranslated his words, he was just trying to explain his role in SJ-M, not really blaming they couldn't speak Chinese.  He actually misses his team member a lot, can find from this video.

miszalvin
· Posted December 27, 2013 @ 11:50 am
sometimes, what they wrote above might be the truth rather than what the video's translating.. This is just my opinion.. I'm sorry if what I thought is incorrect.

eisha47
· Posted November 19, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

Just look at him now, going through all that hardship clearly paid off!

nananhf
· Posted November 14, 2013 @ 2:41 am

i pretty much understand why Hangeng did that, far away from home and have some trouble with the communication between members, eventhought there was Heechul who always chering him up but it had more difficult things because his nationality...I think Hangeng had been covered his pain...he just talkless and it make him more stressed i think

jo2412
· Posted November 10, 2013 @ 11:30 am

I would have left the group too. He wasn't treated as an equal. K-pop stars have ridiculous schedules and many fans just don't understand how hard they work! The way stars are treated in the U.S isn't how all stars are treated in korea, especially when they debut. They don't always get special treatment backstage, they can spend entire days doing promotions and performances, and barely get anytime to sleep and just relax. This lifestyle is not all luxury and fun. It's highly stressful. I'm glad hangeng left. he did not feel comfortable, he was not treated fairly, and he's doing so much better as a solo artist in China. You keep doing you Hangeng

ckpoppppp
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 10:36 am

I did watch the interview and the article did mistranslated his words.

But I'm kinda upset at how he talks about his experience when leaving suju secretly. His attitude. Gets really excited when talking about it, like "yes I'm gonna leave finally." Tts all he thought about. Gives me the feeling that he didn't care about his band member's feeling and he wasn't very grateful for the times he had in suju.

Benefit of doubt, the show might not have shown the full interview though. Don't blame him for leaving though

Read more: http://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/09/hangeng-left-super-junior-because-of#ixzz2k4IPdyqB
Follow us: @allkpop on Twitter | allkpop on Facebook
Follow us: @allkpop on Twitter | allkpop on Facebook

mariajae
· Posted February 28, 2014 @ 8:46 am
if you were in situation where you are treated badly all time all on your mind would be to get out people around isn't helping the situation its a mental state.. he finally being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel is why his reaction is like that

rachael-ng
· Posted October 26, 2013 @ 4:02 am

Pls lah before insulting people look at yourself on the mirror idiot

nikki-kpoplove
· Posted October 23, 2013 @ 6:09 am

I really don't know what to think about this situation. I really like him while he was in SJ but when he left I was kind of disappointed in him. I suppose I can understand the whole money situation and difficulties with the law but to say that he had headaches because the other members of SJ-M could speak Chinese is just idiotic to me, I'm sure they felt somewhat the same trying to teach him Korean... either way I wish him the best... I guess.

vicky
· Posted October 24, 2013 @ 9:39 am
just wanted to clarify, read here or http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/news/han-geng-had-thoughts-of-committing-suicide-while-072400451.html, and also here http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/11881224. html and my advice, try to find out the truth before punishing someone, if not try to rolling reading the comments it also helps, peace always
vicky
· Posted October 24, 2013 @ 9:45 am
and here its be better http://pocketostars.tumblr.com/post/62732912267/all-of-the-korean-media-reports-are-misconstruing-han
nikki-kpoplove
· Posted October 25, 2013 @ 12:34 pm
@vicky I wasn't trying to punish anyone. I'm sorry if you thought that. In a way I guess I just wanted to be mad at him for leaving. I still kinda feel that way about Kibum too. I just want all of them to be back together and on stage again as one. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was talking ill of Han Geng so I'm sorry if it did and if you thought that. Anyway, just wanted to clear that up a little.

suju-kpop
· Posted October 7, 2013 @ 8:10 am

AKP should write the full article...

sicafan226
· Posted October 21, 2013 @ 7:49 pm
there's more?
soneexofishy
· Posted October 30, 2013 @ 8:13 pm
@sicafan226 http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/11881224.html read this article it's the whole interview
sicafan226
· Posted October 31, 2013 @ 1:14 am
@soneexofishy thank you

hanajojo
· Posted October 6, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

How can the writers here be so totally biased and not even write about the full story? Yes I know that everyone has an opinion but this article is slated as "general" not "editorial" and well anyone can see the blatant opinion the writer has.

Everyone who has watched Suju videos will know that Hangeng loved what he did, cared for his Super Junior brothers immensely and loved his best friends, above all Heechul and Siwon.

It is extremely amateurish to write an article about a topic so important to so many fans, and leave out a multitude of facts and on top of that misrepresent the facts that were actually given. How can the writer not even take into account that videos with English subtitles are online, videos that many people have watched, videos that many more people have access to? What will he or she even accomplish with this article?

Even now, in his performances and concerts in China, he still shows outward expressions of love and care for his brothers in Korea.

How can the allkpop post such a discriminatory, ignorant article about a subject that is so touchy to many?

lady-whistledown
· Posted October 3, 2013 @ 6:33 pm

AND THIS WAS NOT THE WHOLE STORY!!! The article is way out of the real story in the DOCUMENTARY!! AKP, why are you making Hangeng and SME look so bad in other peoples' eyes???!!!

The articles make it sound like his only reason for being in Korea was greed, but that's not true. What he was trying to say was that even though he had aspired to become an actor/entertainer in his youth, when he first joined SM and debuted with SJ, he and his family were so poor at the time that his priority was to earn money to survive and support his parents. He wasn't daydreaming about becoming famous or a hotshot because he had to worry about basic needs. In the full documentary, he talked about how he was struggling so much after graduating that he had to borrow money from his mom in order to buy a sheet for the floor to sleep on in his friend's apartment. These were his conditions before arriving in Korea. He wasn't whining about being poor in Korea or whatever.

Instead of making Han Geng sound grateful, the articles are picking and choosing words in order to make it sound like he's trashtalking everyone who helped him in Korea. Yes, Han Geng did say that he only earned 4000 yuan during his first year because of performance restrictions, but what the articles aren't mentioning is that he followed that up by saying that "the boss" (i.e. most likely Lee Soo Man) gave each person a bonus of 1,500,000 Korean won that year. For Han Geng, the bonus he was given was double that amount, so he received 3,000,000 won in addition to the 4000 yuan. He gave all of his first earnings to his parents.

In regards to SJ-M, he said that it was fun and that it was an experience to really hone your character. He didn't rant about the members not being able to speak Chinese. What he was saying was that even though it was a comfort for him to be promoting in China after the debut of SJ-M, he had a lot of responsibilities as the leader and there were a lot of things he had to think about in order for everything to go smoothly. One of the obstacles was translating for everyone. This isn't anything new; he's said this in various other interviews as well. Having to translate for so many members was difficult at times but he worked hard to make sure that all the Korean members had something to say and could participate in the shows and programs. The Korean SJ-M members (i.e. Ryeowook, Donghae, Siwon, and Kyuhyun) have mentioned over and over in the past that they were very grateful to Han Geng because he took extremely thoughtful care of them when they were adjusting to living in China. He did everything he could to make sure they were comfortable and didn't have to deal with the struggles that he went through as a foreigner in Korea. This wasn't even because he was the leader (Siwon has even talked about how much Han Geng took care of him when he was studying in China pre-debut); it was simply how he was as a friend/brother and person. If he really looked down on them for not knowing Chinese and was irritated by it, he would not have helped them to the extent that he did.

Han Geng was receiving a lot of movie/drama/endorsement offers but SM wasn't letting him do them. The articles make it sound like he's whining about how other members got offers but he didn't, and that's not true. The issue that he was raising was the unfairness of how the company gave other artists/members the freedom to pursue other interests or side projects, but not Han Geng. He didn't even go into as much detail as he could have on this issue in the documentary, but it is known that SM declined a lot of Han Geng's drama offers (some without his knowledge until after-the-fact) even though he had told them repeatedly that he would like to pursue some acting jobs. In the documentary, he only went into this briefly to talk about how these kinds of things were killing his spirit, and this was what led to the lawsuit, which he had to keep a secret because the company restricted access to their artists' passports, IDs and personal records. He had to ask for permission to get access to these things, and it's not like he could just tell them he needed them because he planned on filing a lawsuit against them.

The articles are making it sound like Han Geng lacked patience, endurance and gratitude, but there is SO much more to what he is saying. The Korean media is just purposely picking and choosing his words in order to cause a ruckus. This happens a LOT, but judging from the comments I've been reading, it seems to be working because a lot of "fans" and Korean netizens are falling for it and saying that they have lost their respect for him.

Watch the uncut scenes with English subtitles here (they aren't the best but still good enough to get a better idea of what he was really saying):

Watch the full documentary here:

WHY WOULD SOMEONE, WHO STILL CRIES WHEN HE SEES LITTLE SAPPHIRE BLUE OCEANS IN HIS CONCERT OR SEE "HANCHUL" FANBANNERS, SAY THOSE THINGS WHEN HE CARES FOR HIS MEMBERS SO MUCH??!!

Sorry for the rant... This is just annoying the crap outta me.

jenniBEAN
· Posted October 4, 2013 @ 1:08 am
thank you for this amazing comment. I hope more people read it!
jenniBEAN
· Posted October 4, 2013 @ 1:09 am
thank you for this amazing comment. I hope more people read it!
jenniBEAN
· Posted October 4, 2013 @ 1:09 am
thank you for this amazing comment. I hope more people read it!
Saiii
· Posted October 4, 2013 @ 1:34 am
Thank you so much! I felt like my heart was breaking when I read the article. I couldn't believe that he would say that about the SJM members. Thank you for clearing it up and I'm really embarrassed that I questioned him, if even for a mili-second. God, I hope he isn't being abandoned by K & C-ELFs.
lady-whistledown
· Posted October 4, 2013 @ 9:44 am
@jenniBEAN I hope so too! AKP is really getting on my nerves! They don't write much news about SJ or their members, and when they do, they write articles that will stir controversy. P.S. The long thing was from another website I saw.
lady-whistledown
· Posted October 4, 2013 @ 9:46 am
@Saiii It's okay. I felt the same way too, somehow... before I saw this long article in another website. The SME thing, I somehow believed, BUT the SJM thing... Not even for a second!! Seeing videos of their promotion in China and the times he had translated for the non-Chinese members, I knew for sure that he won't say those thing AKP wrote.
ez5
· Posted October 4, 2013 @ 10:12 pm
Thank your sharing, hopefully take in words abt this. But sometimes ppl dont take in when they have prejudice over someone~
lady-whistledown
· Posted October 5, 2013 @ 1:44 am
@ez5 i know right? some people tend to jump into conclusions without even hearing the whole story about it.
beep90
· Posted May 19, 2014 @ 8:25 am
thankyou so much for clearing this.. im a hardcore Elf n since i joined it late 2009's i couldnt really follow the lawsuit thing properly n always wondered how could our hangeng use words like china promotions were a headache etc korean sometimes really put heavy effort into making foreigners look bad
lady-whistledown
· Posted May 19, 2014 @ 10:05 am
@beep90 I'm glad I helped put some light..:) but I'm still rooting for my OT15. ^-^

syimato
· Posted October 3, 2013 @ 11:43 am

u are still in my top 4 bias in SJ <3

Kyu-Won-Han-Bum forever~

bashful
· Posted October 3, 2013 @ 2:10 am

Oh god! USD650 for a year?  How could SM even do that?  It is not even enough for me to buy the collection of old TVXQ, just the old from 5, not even including all the new releases after they split up.  This is too ridiculous, even my overseas domestic helper's salary is 10 times more than that.  And we have to pay for  all her living expenses.  I just want to give perspective to fans from other countries.  South Korea is one of the most expensive cities in Asia, people do not survive on USD50 a month.  The average salary is USD2000 and higher for Seoul.  USD50 is only 5% of average salary.  Imagine getting only 5% of your salary every month.  I want to see if you are still complaining about it.

sara5-8kpop
· Posted October 2, 2013 @ 1:39 pm

I never liked SM in the way it treated it's idols~ I know it's a Big Entertainment company and I know that it's artists get the best opportunities presented, but I think they over-work them, they have them do many things that I don't really think they get enough for in payment.

I understand why he left. Anyone else with the same not achieved goals and broken dreams would most definitely follow his footsteps~ It's only fair to at least not hate on him for his decision...

I just hope SM does right by it's existing artists~

leshiraz
· Posted October 2, 2013 @ 1:45 am

i guessed but i knew it's because of unfairness in parts and money, too bad, but obviously he's making money more than ever now, so good for you for standing up for yourself.

kyuxiusoo
· Posted October 1, 2013 @ 11:52 pm

When I read this, my heart breaks because of SM. I personally don't like SM because of this. But now I'm glad that they are doing what they think they are doing best. ^^

sundaymorning
· Posted October 1, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

I'm happy that Hangeng and JYJ are successful now despite all hardships they have to endure when fighting their former company. Hangeng will appear in Terminator (yay.. ^__^). Park Yoo Chun now is one of the most successful actor in Korea. He won so many prestigious awards (Baeksang, MBC, SBS, SIDA etc) both as best actor and most popular actor,  in just a few years after he left SM. Leaving SM is the most strategic move these guys have ever made

ez5
· Posted October 2, 2013 @ 10:25 pm
correction : it's not terminator. it's transformer. This is his 1st movie in Hollywood, big or small role is otherwise issue, most important of all it is he gain opportunity to acting experience and good exposure to different acting environment ^^ TQ

kimryeowookie
· Posted October 1, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

<3 Hangeng

pandapants
· Posted October 1, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

I laugh when people who aren't exposed to K-pop tell me how "innocent" everyone in the K-pop industry is, because they are so, so wrong. These companies just exploit their artists and yet people audition for these companies because of the idea that they will get famous and get paid a lot when really, they'll barely reach minimum wage. Everything was really unfair for Han Geng, but netizens are spouting shit about how they lost all respect for him?!?!

If anything, he should be the one getting all the respect and SM Entertainment should be the one getting criticized. SM Entertainment has the money and the reputation to cover up all the shit that Han Geng had to go through using the Korean media. If only some people would open their eyes to the evils of these companies...