OP-ED

by gracelim
  • 0
  • 0
  • 698
  • 209730
  • 1853

If you've been a die-hard follower of K-pop through the years, or if you've just hauled yourself up on the bandwagon recently, you might've noticed that some of the group names in the industry are certainly... out there.

Think about it: though names are but a collection of a few letters from the alphabet, they command your attention anywhere and in any situation. It's no question that the K-pop industry has been getting a bit crowded recently. New idol groups are emerging left and right and fighting for our attention. And albeit harsh, sometimes it gets difficult trying to keep tabs on freshly debuted groups.

But like all matters of our subconscious workings, whenever we feel overwhelmed by the smaller units, we tend to look for the overarching trends.

Rest assured, though, because we think we may have found one - group names.

The idol era that we so eagerly consume today traces its roots back to old school K-pop - a magical time when pants like these made ladies lose their senses:

But more so than the pants, we tend to associate the time with some of the group names that we can't seem to erase from our memories.

Why we can't erase the names from our memories is completely open to interpretation. Perhaps you were an overly hormonal teenager who looked up to these groups at this time, or maybe you vaguely remember their names from watching the TV when you were a toddler.

Whatever the case may be, let's look at some of the leading groups that became household names back in the day.

M.I.L.K.

Not the kind you drink with cookies. M.I.L.K. actually stands for "Made in Lovely Kin."   For anyone out there who knows what that means, please enlighten me.

Baby V.O.X.

"Baby Voices of Xpression." Notice they drop the "e" in expression, ladies and gentlemen.

g.o.d.

If you thought their group name was any indication of their spiritual beliefs, you're so wrong. g.o.d. actually stands for "Groove Overdose." Why? I'm not sure.

H.O.T.

And no, their group name has nothing to do with their attraction levels or magnetic charm. H.O.T. actually stands for "High-five of Teenager." I desperately wish I can say "SIKE," but I can't.

Fin.K.L

Though Fin.K.L is actually an abbreviated form of "Fin Killing Liberty," I can't help but wonder whether the creative genius behind that name accidentally misread the "u" in Fun for an "i." Not that "Fun Killing Liberty" would've made any more sense than "Fin Killing Liberty" regardless.

Young Turks Club

I kid you not. This mixed group actually called themselves the Young Turks ClubAfter a little research I found out that the Young Turks were a secularist Turkish nationalist reform party in the early 20th century. How that relates to K-pop, I have no idea.

Back then, it could have very well been possible that the producers behind the names didn't have an extensive knowledge of English to know which choice words to string together for their groups.

Here are some of the more recent names you might be more familiar with:

TRAX

Typhoon of the Rose Attack on X-Mas. They claim that the name is based on the member's stage names, but omg - it truly is an unfortunate name.

C-REAL

It's cute that they made a relatively harmless group name using the first initials of all the members' names. But honestly, this is all I see:

MBLAQ

This could go both ways: Either the producers loved the way the initials "MBLAQ" looked together, so they desperately conjured up "Music Boys Live in Absolute Quality" to correspond to the letters. Or, the producers thought they were so clever coming up with "Music Boys Live in Absolute Quality" that they decided to use the first initials of their English concoction.

CHI CHI

"Creative electronic House Idols." Coming from a group that doesn't really scream electronic genre, their name is quite bold.

YMGA

"Young Men Gangsta's Assocation." You know you're truly living the thug lyfe when you spell gangster "gangsta."

H.A.M.

I mean...

Here are the ladies of "Heart and Mind."

TOUCH

"The Original Undeniable Charismatic Homme.

... the what?

BTS

This recently debuted boy group is known as "Bulletproof Boy Scouts" or "Bangtan Boys." Quick food for thought, though - why would boy scouts need to be bulletproof? What type of survival techniques are scoutmasters teaching kids these days? Anyways, of the two names, y
ou decide which is better. Not to mention two of their members call themselves Rap Monster and SUGA. Sounds like they'll be serving up a serious dose of awesomeness in the near future with names that fierce.

What are some of your worst K-pop group names?

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 651 comments

Sort by:

Rana2PMGOT7
· Posted December 19, 2014 @ 9:59 pm

Crayon pop bish pliz

Maxbin314
· Posted October 31, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

How is VIXX (Voice, Visual, Value In Excelsis) NOT on this list?

Jadewashere64
· Posted October 20, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

Finkl is an abbreviation for fin killing liberty. Fin as in finish.  So It's finish killing liberty. It says so on Wikipedia.

marodza123
· Posted October 20, 2014 @ 3:32 pm
then its even more weird lol.
Jadewashere64
· Posted October 21, 2014 @ 8:11 am
@marodza123 Lol. Yeah I suppose. It's definitely not a name I would name a girl group. It's supposed to mean that they're free. I guess? Lol.

littlerabbit21
· Posted August 23, 2014 @ 6:47 pm

Red velvets on that list now.

Bethbeez
· Posted August 11, 2014 @ 2:55 am

Still love TRAX. One of my favorites.

loveisenergy
· Posted May 4, 2014 @ 8:58 am

Yaaas, get CHI CHI dat posthumous promo!

polygltbutterfly
· Posted December 1, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

Lol I thought the Dickpunks were going to show up they by far take the cake X)

Porogami
· Posted July 15, 2014 @ 4:41 am
Yeah me too....when I saw it, I had to read it again to make sure it actually says 'Dickpunks' w.t.f.

xxtothexxlol
· Posted November 27, 2013 @ 10:02 am

hahahhaha these names made my day @@ laughing so hard.. i thought the names were pretty unique and good but once I read all of these names, I laughed so hard lol xD

4everminwook
· Posted November 18, 2013 @ 6:21 am

why BTS...why pick on them..their new?!

heyitsaly
· Posted September 10, 2013 @ 9:47 am

H.A.M... What's next, Hashbrowns?

PS: Forever mentally scarred by JYP's pants...

cindy8
· Posted September 7, 2013 @ 5:27 am

I didn't mind TRAX initially until i saw the meaning; Typhoon of the Rose Attack on Xmas?? I mean this is so dumb even compared to the acronym. And I'm wondering why f(x) isn't on this list. I mean, am I supposed to be learning calculus or what? And I have to admit though SHINee is my best kpop band but theri name is really childish. Also SS501, they are my second best but i just don't know what to think of their name. Super Junior is also really dumb. What happened to the s behind junior(s)? They are like 10 now right? Plural guys! And don't even get me started on U-KISS. I wonder why it's not on this list. It's the weirdest and dumbest name ever. The only acronym name that kinda makes sense is TVXQ because the meaning is cool.

Bethbeez
· Posted August 11, 2014 @ 2:56 am
TRAX's "Typhoon of the Rose Attack on X-mas" is still my favorite name because unlike Shinee and Suju and U-kiss and SS501, all of whom I love, their name actually relates to them. Typhoon, Rose, Attack, and Xmas, all the members, granted those may be terrible names but at least they tried to have fun with it, and the name is actually meaningful besides names like "Music Boys Live in Absolute Quality" (No offense to Mblaq, love them too).

stopthehate
· Posted August 21, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

There's some good names.. like
2NE1 which is my favourite plus their fandom name is just as cool.

2PM which I also really liked.

jonghyunswifee
· Posted August 20, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

MBLAQ isn't a bad name... lmao

Queen_of_Hearts
· Posted July 4, 2013 @ 12:32 am

I will forever cringe at what U-Kiss stands for: Ubiquitous Korean International Idol Super Star

....like seriously?

toritori
· Posted December 3, 2013 @ 9:29 pm
It makes sense though. it's a rather good name..

B.Happiness
· Posted July 1, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

What about SHINee, Super Junior, 4Minute, etc.?

That's only some of those names that I can only think of.

krevice
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

As far as naming of pop music groups, who would have guessed

in the beginning that "THE BEATLES" was going to be a good name

for a successful pop music group.  Looking at pictures of The Beatles,

one might just as well have named them: "The Brit Twit Mop Heads"

nadroky
· Posted June 29, 2013 @ 4:42 am

there's MYNAME
its a very ...uuhhh...different name~

thanksxu
· Posted June 27, 2013 @ 3:03 am

i'm not 100% sure about this but my friend said in korean, chi chi is slang for boobs ._.

sonics
· Posted July 1, 2013 @ 3:59 pm
Idk about Korean but in Japanese, chi chi is slang for boobs.

jijibaby
· Posted June 26, 2013 @ 5:44 am

i think the name 'Nep' is also kinda weird,wel atleast to me. Cuz 'Nep' means 'Fake' in dutch lawl ><

lovesolive
· Posted June 26, 2013 @ 5:02 am

Rarely do we see groups with names that have real meaning. Not being bias, but members of TVXQ (Gods of the Rising East) do stay true to their group title. Girls' Generation - representing girls at different stages of their lives. Big Bang - new evolution...?