News
Posted by Yaki-Jones 6 days ago

NewJeans' Danielle apologizes for calling the 'Lunar New Year' 'Chinese New Year'

AKP STAFF

NewJeans' Danielle apologized for calling the 'Lunar New Year' 'Chinese New Year.'

On January 21st, the NewJeans member posted an apology on the group's official Instagram account.

Danielle wrote, "Hello, this is NewJeans Danielle. Back on January 19th, I sent a message on Phoning saying 'What r u bunnies doing for Chinese new year?' I realized I made a mistake and deleted it immediately, however, many people already received the message which made it irreversible.

The lunar new year is a national holiday in many countries and regions including our country, so my expression was inappropriate and I deeply regret it. I also apologize to the bunnies who were hurt or disappointed because of this.

I will not forget this and I will try to be more cautious and thoughtful from now on.
I am once again sorry."

Meanwhile, the Lunar new year is celebrated in many countries including Korea, Vietnam, and Tibet.

1. NewJeans
  2. Danielle
205 93,765 Share 66% Upvoted

ThePhantomThief
ThePhantomThief2,522 pts 6 days ago 27
6 days ago

She's from Australia. It's only been very, very recently in Australia that the holiday has been known as Lunar New Year. For most of the time here, it's been referred to as Chinese New Year. She accidently used the term she knew growing up.

104 (+117 / -13)

27 more replies

koffeemusings
koffeemusings100 pts 6 days ago 2
6 days ago

I didn’t even hear about this until this article. I feel like putting out a statement just draws more attention to the situation but good that they decided to address it before it becomes an issue. I hope k-netz arent too hard on her. It's an innocent mistake.

57 (+63 / -6)