Every year new groups debut into the music industry. Since there are dozens of groups debuting per year, major broadcast companies award the 'Rookie of the Year' award to the most standing group.
This year, a handful of impressive girl groups made their debut and have been the talk of the K-pop industry. As there have been various exceptional girl groups that made their debut, many netizens are expecting a fierce battle for the 'Rookie of the Year' award again this year.
Groups such as IVE, NMIXX, and Kep1er are among the candidate rookie groups that had already debuted, but there are other groups that have yet to debut this year that are expected to make the candidate list. Among them are the girl group in which former IZ*ONE members Kim Chae Won and Sakura are expected to be in, the girl group Min Hee Jin is launching, and the girl group from 'I-LAND 2.'
- IZ*ONE's Jang Won Young and Choi Yu Jin are part of this group
- 150,000 initial album sales, on Melon's Top 10 charts for three months and daily charts for 101 days.
- Has 13 music show wins, the shortest time to win on a music show program
- Music video released in December already has 100 million views.
- 'Girls Planet 999' debut group
- 200,000 initial album sales, the highest rank on Melon daily chart - 91st place, 90th place on the weekly chart, 97th place on the monthly charts.
- 3 music show wins, has the shortest time to reach number 1 on a broadcast show
- Music video released on January 3 has 8.45 million views
- To appear on 'Queendom 2'
- JYP Entertainment's new girl group
- 220,000 initial album sales, number 1 on the debut initial sales record/ highest melon daily chart ranking 106th place.
- Music video released on February 22 has 48.85 million views
4. Girl group with IZ*ONE's Kim Chae Won and Sakura
- Will include IZ*ONE members Kim Chae Won and Sakura along with 'Produce 48's Heo Yoon Jin.
- Belong to HYBE's Source Music
- Speculated to debut soon
5. Min Hee Jin's girl group
- Belong to HYBE's ADOR
- Created by Min Hee Jin, the creative director behind f(x), SHINee, and many SM groups
- Known to debut in the third quarter of this year.
- Another idol survival show produced by CJEN and HYBE
- 'I-LAND' had much popularity overseas.
- The first episode is to air in June. So they may debut next year
Netizens are excited about the new girl groups that will be debut and are also anticipating a fierce battle for the 'Rookie of the Year' award for this year. Netizens commented, "I am looking forward to the girl group produced by Min Hee Jin," "I definitely think IVE will win this year's rookie award," "I am actually looking forward to seeing the five groups," "IVE will win," "Unless NMIXX releases new music that's crazy good and does well on the music charts, I think IVE will win this year," and "This is going to be a close battle for sure."
What do you think? Which rookie girl group do you think will take the 'Rookie of the Year' for this year?"