Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

News
Posted by KayRosa AKP STAFF 26 days ago

End-of-year report concludes that viewer ratings for SBS, MBC, and KBS dramas have plummeted in 2018

In 2018, it was revealed that over 100 different dramas have aired on Korean television, on both terrestrial and non-terrestrial (cable) networks. Among those that aired on terrestrial broadcasting stations (SBS, MBC, KBS), the viewer ratings have seen some of the lowest results in history.

According to the audiences, the quality of the dramas did not correlate to the large amount of quantity. They alleged that some of the negative factors include "similar story lines, unnecessary noise in scenes, bad actors," and more.

In the case of 'Great Temptation', the viewer ratings had gone down to almost 1%, while 'Risky Romance' and 'Bad Papa' also produced pitiful results. For MBC, the only drama that slightly succeeded was 'My Secret Terrius', followed by another slight above-average ratings for 'Less Than Evil'. Similarly, for KBS, 'Lovely Horribly' featuring Park Si Hoo and Song Ji Hyo set the record as the "lowest viewer rating in history" for Korean dramas, with an exact percentage of 1.0%.

Out of the three channels, SBS showed relatively favorable results, as 'Return' reached a viewer rating of 17.4%, the highest out of all terrestrial broadcast mini series from 2018. Thanks to a "defined story line", a drama such as 'Your Honor' has also scored with a handful of viewers. However, even for SBS, 'Wok of Love' and 'Switch: Change The World' could not escape this year's curse of low ratings for terrestrial airings.

Which drama was your favorite out of 2018? Are any of them from those channels, or from non-terrestrial stations such as tvN or JTBC?

1. misc.
  2. DRAMA
35 54,246 Share 88% Upvoted

changminbaby 26 days ago 3
26 days ago

i think most good dramas are going to tvN instead

GDMultiFandom 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

it's mostly tvn and jtbc also have a better screen writer or writer whatever..

SeonNyeo26 26 days ago 1
26 days ago

I second that! They got the best dramas, because they know how to invest in them! I get the feeling that the station is able to fullfill the writers dreams , the actors's perspectives over their characters and all the requirements coming from directors and filming teams. Their secret is teamwork. And whoever choses the scripts has the touch of Midas in addition to sticking to the trends forecasting. Their analysis team has probably some geniuses behind. Even I, if i were a writer in Korea, I would like to work with them. Studio Dragon is everybody's dream.

nelummunier34 (Banned) 25 days ago 0
25 days ago

Comment has been deleted

Fritzb 26 days ago 2
26 days ago

The big-3 need to step up their game. It used to be that people would watch their shows because there was nothing else to watch. Now they have choices. Cable channels like tvN and JTBC have wooed away their viewers with big-budget productions and high-paid talent.

KimAC 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

I agree. The cable channels are taking the stage. Big budget is definitely helping. You can see it just with variety shows. I laugh a bit now. One of the first shows I did timing on, was for a drama on tVN but not many viewers and it was a bit of a bust on Viki called Harvest Villa. Tables have definitely turned

GDMultiFandom 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

it's mostly tvn and jtbc also have a better screen writer or writer whatever..

most big 3 masterpiece writer's transferred to tvn and jtbc. and the decent writer remained to big 3.

Queen_Sana 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

TVN and JTBC have good dramas now

GDMultiFandom 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

tvN and jtbc is dominating the ratings even though they're cables, because unique writers from sbs mbc and kbs is in tnV and jtbc now.

goodluck to sbs mbc and kbs you guys are dying.

Blackie123 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

People are refusing to admit that the existing viewership measurement is no longer reliable because audience attitude have changed along with rapid advancement of the internet.

Beside the point that K-viewers are driven by publicity. The media focused more on the the scandal which are irrelevant to the drama rather than talking about the drama itself.

There are many dramas which are highly rated but too difficult to even finish them e.g. What Wrong with Sec Kim- a drama which was pure fluff & no substance though PMY was so gorgeous in it, Goblin-have you noticed that many repeative scenes and useless flashbacks despite the so called big budget, Mr Sunshine- for some reasons I find it hard to finish... the saving grace for this drama was its production value.

However, there are also those drama that rated low because of the quality itself... e.g. Lovely Horribly- I forced myself to watch to ep 10 but it’s so hard to go on.

There are also those dramas that didn’t rate well but entertaining e.g. Big Hit in 2017- this drama was actually entertaining, When Time Stopped - I found it boring on the first two episodes but as the episode went I found myself wanting for the next episode and became engaged and invested into th drma and this become one of my faves in 2018.

There were also those dramas that I am invested because the performances of the cast as whole such as drama like Lawless Lawyer. Despite the seriousness and the depthness of the plot, it’s packed with humour, high quality sequences and heart touching emotional scenes that makes the drama entertaining to watch.

There are those dramas that I like for no reasons e.g. Tirius.. I just found it entertaining

marisara 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

I watched Witch’s love, it wasn’t very good. Hwayugi was ok but the story line was a little boring. There’s a lot of good male actors in the military service so maybe that’s another reason for low ratings. 😕

Z_lan 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

Not surprised, most of them this year did really suck a lot. I tried watching a lot of them in the beginning but ended up skipping a lot of scenes or just discontinuing the drama all together.

hiroonakamura 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

this is a shitty article. viewer ratings arent down in general, only for some shows that have been abysmal in terms of ratings. There are still weekend dramas that get over 30% in ratings

junmyeonsnoodle 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

The main reason cable shows are better is there is less censorship-this is true in the US true. Writers, producers, basically all creative talent have more license to make the show interesting.

Celebration 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

Not surprised. This year was a sucky year for dramas. Not one really interest me. This is probably the longest I ever lasted without watching a single drama. It was a very lack luster year

SongKaixi 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

I don't think it's necessarily been a bad year for dramas. I just think they haven't been promoting the right ones as their main dramas.

ragyavs 26 days ago 4
26 days ago

I actually quite enjoyed 'The Great Temptation'. I liked the dark tone of the show and the messed up relationships. I was quite surprised that the show received such bad review. Woo Dohwan and Moon Gayoung were especially outstanding. Woo Dohwan stole my heart with his bad boy-good boy charms.

Moon Gayoung's portrayal of Choi Sooji deserved a nomination, if not an award, for her performance.

bapeal 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

I really enjoyed the drama too at least at first but then for me the plot became completely predictable and started to be like every other drama out there.

Peace0825 26 days ago 1
26 days ago

I think one of the reasons why this drama didn't attract as much viewers is the cast, specifically the lead female. Now, I'm not bashing her or anything like that so hold your horses before you start calling me a hater. I barely know her. I have no reason to hate her. I thought she was ok, but the netizens criticized her acting from the first ep. Receiving bad criticism on the first few eps was basically the beginning of bad ratings. Plus, it sounded like not many viewers liked her as an idol actress to begin with. On the other hand, the girl who played opposite of her got so much praise on her acting despite everything.

ragyavs 25 days ago 0
25 days ago

I completely agree with you. The lead you're talking about is Joy from Red Velvet. Even I thought her acting wasn't as bad as the criticism she received. Maybe on a few occasions, but overall it was not that bad. It was just ok. However, I don't think her acting alone could've sunk the show. Although a tad bit predictable at the end, I still enjoyed the show quite a lot.

enzoa 24 days ago 0
24 days ago

It had great potential, but the story was simply too stupid, it didn't make any sense (the original itself is not that great either).

Moon Ga-young has been stellar, while the male lead's performance has been brought down by a script that made him came out more like an idiot than a bad boy.

pink_oracle 26 days ago 3
26 days ago

I don't watch dramas but I always hear about the ones that were super popular. There really hasn't been a You Who Came From the Stars or Descendants of the Sun this year.

dancingbella23 26 days ago 0

Mr Sunshine?

Fritzb 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

There were some pretty popular shows this year, like Mr. Sunshine, 100 Days My Prince, Encounter/Boyfriend, etc... but they were all on tvN, not the big-3 networks.

A few years ago, it would have been unthinkable for a cable show to beat even the lowest of the big-3 in primetime. Now it happens all the time.

kizaru_hijin 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

oh now you dont watch dramas, but in other articles you desperately try to seem like some big fan...always cute when pathetic haters keep contradicting themselves and dont even know how to act nice for a change...

TenKan 21 days ago 0
21 days ago

TVN owns the dramas this year. No question.

ketisanmo 22 days ago 0
22 days ago

Frankly these have been going downhill since 2 years ago. With the change in direction of younger viewers method of watching .Which they tried to accomodate but loss their main supporters ( aka ajummas watchers )in the process.They brought in too many dramas which are not well written... lead casts who are poor actors or not trained professionally and loss a lot of their main Kdramas viewers who are mainly the elderly and housewives

L_catzzz 23 days ago 0
23 days ago

Which drama was your favorite out of 2018? --> The Miracle We Met. (This is a really good drama)

enzoa 24 days ago 0
24 days ago

Well, avoiding meaningless webtoons, countless worn-out tropes, lousy or controversial actors could surely help.

Better scripts (much better) could help too. 😁

Honestly, it has been mostly crappy dramas this year.

"Lovely Horribly [...] set the record as the "lowest viewer rating in history" for Korean dramas, with an exact percentage of 1.0%"

Thx viewers! This is sooo damn satisfying... 😀😁😂🤣

k_sandra 25 days ago 0
25 days ago

My fave were 'come and hug me' and 'the smile has left your eyes'

xnutzela 25 days ago 0
25 days ago

less than evil is good

bapeal 26 days ago 0

tvN!

HyperQ4 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

I think it's because of the quality of the dramas. they're so bad and hard to watch

manongja 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

Really not a surprise when you are considered well-viewed if you hit above 10%. It was 20% just a few years ago.

crazy_parrot 26 days ago 0
26 days ago

i hope the 3 networks will have better dramas next year. Maybe they need to have younger producers for new trends and be more daring in New story lines.

B.I.G (Boys In Groove)