Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

News
Posted by beansss AKP STAFF 13 days ago

Debate rises regarding the appropriate use of indigenous Māori prayer in NCT 127's 'Simon Says'

NCT 127

New Zealand media outlets have noted that NCT 127's title track "Simon Says", from their 1st repackaged album ''NCT #127 Regulate', used a Māori karakia (prayer) in the introduction portion of the song.

The Māori people are an indigenous population of New Zealand, and questions arose regarding the particular usage of this Māori karakia in the NCT 127 track.

One New Zealand researcher from Victoria University, an advocate for Māori property, gave her thoughts on the usage of the prayer in the new song with, "[The particular Māori karakia words used] are very empowering and affirmative, respectful words, so if this song is not carrying on that spirit... then they have used it inappropriately."

The researcher continued, "The Māori phrase is used as a coming together of people and to close a discussion, so the fact that it is used at the beginning of the song is telling. So that already gives you a sense that they haven't researched it... The problem is the difference between being inspired by culture and wanting to respect it, from just taking it. And using it in ways where they haven't actually researched whether the use is appropriate or inappropriate."

However, some New Zealanders feel that the song will promote the Māori culture to international listeners. Netizens commented, "I've never seen a Maori person unhappy about the use of the haka in a movie, no matter how ridiculous it looks. I'm from New Zealand, and although I'm not Maori, and I can guarantee that people won't be mad about it", "Hakas aren't something Maoris keep for themselves. The New Zealand rugby team traditionally does one at the start of their matches, and the players are not all Maori. It originated from Maori tradition sure, but it is part of New Zealand culture as a whole and not just something the minority cultivates", "For one of the biggest K-pop boy bands to be using haka sounds, is a great feeling""It's really up to the people of the culture to decide at the end of the day to be offended though", and so on.

You can hear the Māori karakia phrase at the beginning of NCT 127's "Simon Says" in the group's latest MV above.

1. NCT 127
21 Share 76% Upvoted

nq16 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

just to be clear, this researcher is in the minority. most new zealanders aren't offended by the use of it. it wasn't even the actual "haka", it was just the call (literally only 3 seconds of the video). literally nothing offensive about it. this is just another part of the "im offended" culture that is becoming so toxic due to political correctness.

eigb10 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

I am glad most people are happy about it :)

eveeLin 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

people need to stop getting triggered over litterally everything ..

ratmonster 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

Serious question, do these people have lives? Get a grip. I’m sick of this cultural appropriation bullsh*t. Also stop acting like NCT themselves have anything to do with the creative direction of their MV’s.

jinpnk 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

All the comments I saw were crying of joy they used something from New Zealand. Love how there is an article about one idiot who is offended for an entire population. Typical allkpop

shyloone 13 days ago 1
13 days ago

so are they a fan of NCT or not thats all i want to know, because how did they hear the tiny little part at the start of the song, I feel it was a good way to mix some love of other cultures, but yes they should of researched first before using it , but no harm done NCT might want to head to New Zealand for a concert

kpopmassacre 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

Very true cause I'm from New Zealand and I showed it to some of my uni friends from te reo class and they didn't even mind it I mean they did it quite well for them I mean nct might be able to sample some Maori songs and arrange it in a more advanced theorem I mean new Zealand music is more of electronics and guitars mainly that's why they would try this as a way of showing great stories to it

Devis128 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

CL uses an Islamic prayer sample in her song? Everyone riots.

A group of cute boys use a Maori prayer sample in their song? "Everyone needs to stop being so offended!"

Double standard much?

Sarifael 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Culture is meant to be shared, people, it’s how we all grow. It’s accusations like this that enforce division instead of fostering commonalities

georgi124 6 days ago 0
6 days ago

I personally find it funny that so many people who have no clue about Kiwi/Maori culture think they have the right to say that we are over-reacting. Although I am not Maori I grew up surrounded by the culture and one of the biggest things I was taught when doing Kapa Haka was to always respect the songs, haka and Karakia. In my opinion the way this Karakia/Haka was used was not respectful as clearly not enough research was done. This however is the only reason why I am personally angry at SM, I think the rest of the song is amazing and I love NCT despite all this because I know that they would have had nothing to do with the Karakia/Haka being put in at the begining.

latdh1 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

ok

u_chia4 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

idk how to feel about this, but look at it this way. replace this with any other of the misusages of culture and ask yourself is this okay? let's not have any double standards

314 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

I think nothing wrong with using that chat, that gives deeper meaning of the song/mv, from the end of something we start something new

thebeeee 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

I love how someone that does not even belong to that particular minority thought their opinion on that minorities feelings would be valid.

thatbtae 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

I am not offended but i do feel like they (who ever put the phrase in the song) didn't research enough about the karakia which makes me a little annoyed.

-15

Stopudelulu 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

one of the biggest boyband?? That delulu is stupid. It is more like one of the biggest flop. This flop is not even in top10 kpop groups. Sm stans full of stupid delulus. Lmao

-16

Stopudelulu 13 days ago 4
13 days ago

bts did an african inspired song and this flop is copying everything that bts is doing. Pathetic flop company

jenna 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

Just go back to sleep! Bts don’t need a low IQ stupid army like you. You are so toxic!

STAY_IARMY_L 12 days ago 2
12 days ago

stop it. i cant believe you. BTS doesn't deserve fans like you

2 more replies