Are you an old school K-pop fan like me, the Uncle Fan? If so, here's 20 things that you can most likely relate to!
1. Group names like H.O.T, Roo'ra, S.E.S, UP, Fin.K.L, g.o.d, T.T.Ma, Baby V.O.X, R.ef, 1TYM, UN, NRG, M.I.L.K, Swi-T, Cleo, Kola, and Click-B actually makes sense to you.
2. There was that one friend who said BoA was going to be really hot in 10 years when she first debuted in 2000 and everyone called him a pervert (byuntae)... that is until BoA became really hot 10 years later.
3. You remember thinking, "A 13-member group called 'Super Junior'?! That'll NEVER work!" *Shaking head*
4. Nothing any boy band wears will ever surprise you because you grew up in the J.Y. Park era.
5. VHS tapes of 'Gayo Top 10' that should have been returned 15 years ago can still be found somewhere in your parent's basement...
6. ...because you forgot to return them while making copies for friends connecting together two VHS players, recording in the best quality SP mode so that everyone could memorize the dances and perform them at your high school's Culture Night performance.
7. 'Propose', 'Tomato', 'Wedding Dress', and 'Mr. Q'; or as you call them, the Kim Hee Sun home run.
8. You wish all of your iPhone videos could look like those old Korean music shows with the spinning cameras, random angles, and crazy filters.
9. The secret to making mix tapes was leaving just enough time between songs so that the cassette tape wouldn't switch over mid-song.
10. You knew a guy who looked exactly like this:
... With a hairstyle featuring the one long bang to the side.
11. You knew a girl who looked exactly like this:
... Featuring the "antenna style".
12. The local Korean pharmacy was an amazing wonderland where you went to pick up prescription medicines, Bacchus, a wooden back scratcher, and postcards of Hyori to tape to the inside of your locker.
13. You remember when noraebangs (karaoke) were nothing more than glorified closets with an old CRT TV and a disco ball with terrible wallpaper...
14. ... And the controller didn't look like some kind of mobile scanning device from the Starship Enterprise.
15. You have a library of old K-pop CD's all neatly arranged in one of those organizer binder things but you refuse to get rid of them even though you have all of them as MP3 files.
16. "Forever" by Ahn Jae Wook is still the coolest song from a Korean drama... ever.
17. "Too Heaven" by Jo Sung Mo is still the coolest music video... ever.
18. "We are the Future" by H.O.T is still the coolest dance... ever.
19. You still haven't fully forgiven Lee Soo Man for the break-up of H.O.T.
20. You still refer to K-pop as "gayo".