Variety, Social Media

'Produce 101's rank 5 Kang Daniel accused of foul play + apologizes for his actions

By jennywill   23 days ago   193,444   7,148   143
misc

'Produce 101's Kang Daniel is under criticism for cheating.

During season 1, girls got to mostly choose which concept they wanted to go with. However, in season 2, viewers are being asked to create their own teams for the concept round. The boys themselves cannot influence the voting (except by casting their own one vote).

SEE ALSO: 10 Idol groups that became victims to the 7-year jinx

However, Kang Daniel is now being accused of unfair play. It started with this post, where a fan wrote in the DC Inside Daniel gallery and wrote, "Daniel Kang, look at this. Increase the number of cats for the song number you want." As visible in the screenshot, Daniel has one cat emoticon on his Instagram profile.

He then changed the number of his cats to 4 (The #4 song is Deep House song "Never"). While it can't be proven that Daniel actually saw the post and changed the cats to match, many believe that it's too much of a coincidence.

After the controversy struck, Daniel changed his emoticon once again. He then changed his profile message to read, "I will think more on my actions from now on. I am sorry.

He had changed his account to private, but currently has opend it back up and has erased his apology from his profile.

The 'Produce 101' trainees are not allowed to use their SNS while competing on the show, and many are demanding some sort of action from Mnet on what happened. Viewers point out that there are other trainees on Instagram that have been following the rules, and also that other trainees must also have songs they prefer but are staying quiet, which means this is an unfair advantage for Daniel.

What do you think about the controversy?

1. misc.
    2. kang daniel

abbie_kpopper 11 days ago

I didn't understand a thing. What is that cat emoji thing? What did he do??

Sam091094 15 days ago

I smell something fishy and I'm not pointing it out. I'm not 100% sure yet.

Kiyomice 16 days ago

A cat emoji is controversial now? I understand the problem, but I really don't think it should be a big deal. He probably wasn't thinking it would be that harmful. It's also not as though he thought of it himself. A fan suggested it. I'd of done the same thing.

onedelacruise 21 days ago

Make all the contestants vote on what to do to him. Or make a segment that will let the contestants interact with the viewers, just like what he did. But don't let this guy participate in the interaction. Or distribute half of his votes to the bottom 5.

lyricaldancer10 22 days ago

Geez. Everyone is having problems on this show. This is going to the The Who's next with a controversy

yesungturtle 22 days ago

Now imagine if Daehwi did this, haters would eat him....but this is just a "mistake". I like Daniel but he should have known better.

meklavier 22 days ago

Why are there more dramas in season 2 than season 1?

qu33n 22 days ago

I think some of the changes to the show are stupid. This one included

melon 22 days ago

Don't understand. Someone explain.

meklavier melon 22 days ago

Did you watch episode 5? Go all the way to the last 2 mins

melon meklavier 22 days ago

I mean I don't understand what he did wrong. Because he used his social media account when they're not allow to?

Keepingthemoon melon 21 days ago

He used cat emojis to indicate to his fans which song he wanted so that the fans would vote for that song.

anwen_annesley 22 days ago

I think he's awesome, definitely top 11 material, so I'm kind of disappointed that he did that. He's uber popular, so regardless of what song he performed, he would do fine. Talent-wise, he could do whatever. I admit that that fan was really funny by asking that, but this is something that can really influence/skew a team. And hook line and sinker he did it. Sure it sounds insignificant in retrospect, but no other trainee has done this...and of course this issue gets blown up...his rank could go down for this tiny supposed incident of "cheating" or this song not available for him... and all because of some cats. ack. I hope he gets through it okay...

totes