Music Releases, MV Releases

African American K-Pop duo CoCo Avenue release a sexy MV for new single 'Eottae'

By yckim124   Wednesday, April 19, 2017   176,147   4,447   505

CoCo Avenue released the full MV for ''Eottae''.

The African American duo, who have been hailed as the ''First Black K-Pop Group'', originally started with 6 members in 2012. Two years later, Jenny (Lyric) and leader Jenna (Rose) moved to Los Angeles to further expand their careers in the K-Pop industry.

SEE ALSO: Actor Shin Dong Wook opens up about his rare, incurable illness

Their latest release ''Eottae'' is an R&B track with a sexy, smooth vibe.

Check it out above!

Tip: Jin Kang

1. misc.
    2. Coco Avenue
    3. eottae

Aki06 19 days ago

They ain't trying to be idol group

Carateen Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Kpop is part of the korean cuture. I feel like kpop is the place where asians can be pretty proud of,  and this is more like american pop or style, their mvs,sets etc. except their just singing in korean. the song is not bad tho same with EXP.

ThatsWhatsup Carateen 25 days ago

Music has no race.

cocomonkey Monday, April 24, 2017

i don't think Kpop is a specific type of anything that everyone is trying to say. I think Kpop is just music that is manufactured in and released in Korea. They should of just said they are artist trying to get popular in Korea, which is why they sang in Korean. Even CL said Kpop is not just a genre it's just Korean music. The music she makes in America isn't Kpop. That's just my opinion on it. Trying to define Kpop is kind of weird too since other countries music isn't defined. American music is just music made in America.

Life_Is_Life Sunday, April 23, 2017

I honestly think that people forget that this is not K-pop. It's more so K-hip-hop and R&B, and the way they came about were doing dance and song covers (on Youtube). They entered into contests and performed in festivals, some very big ones in Korea and the people loved them. Also as Jenna stated that they do not want appropriate the Korean culture nor even think about doing so, and there is a responsibility to be held by the K-pop industry itself for appropriating the stereotypes of African-American culture (incorrectly many times over). Also, the thing that is bugging me is that they have been doing this since about 2012 or 2013 and people are deciding to get angry over an article that Allkpop put up right after this EXP fiasco ... A little suspect... (But that's none of my business).

NanandGomu Sunday, April 23, 2017

Wait, they were a thing since 2012?

kaice_cream Sunday, April 23, 2017

I think what makes kpop kpop is that their target audience is koreans, and asians. So not necessarily the language. I wouldn't consider this kpop because I personally don't think it would appeal to asia very much. It's (generally) more fun to see idols that look like you, and this is the case everywhere.

ThatsWhatsup kaice_cream Monday, April 24, 2017

I don't consider it Kpop either. I consider it music, and good music at that. Whether or not it appeals to someone is another case entirely. For those it doesn't appeal to, they have the option to never click play :D

SalimatouBalde Saturday, April 22, 2017

This is a perfect example of K-pop going mainstream very very very soon

Baekhyun_Stan SalimatouBalde Tuesday, April 25, 2017

can we bring other kpoppers together, especially senior group fans on social media and go at the fakes and wester celebs? I've been a fan since 2009 and I HATE the westernization of kpop. It makes me so angry,,

SS501SS301 Baekhyun_Stan Tuesday, April 25, 2017

omg same here - I feel you. I've been a fan since early 2011 but still enough to know the old kpop music style. Really miss the good old days. :( Not saying I don't like the new songs but I prefer the old kpop music style though.

cmerle1 Thursday, April 20, 2017

Sorry, I just don't like this song. Seems to be really boring to me.

Baekhyun_Stan cmerle1 Thursday, April 20, 2017

Too sexual.

ThatsWhatsup Baekhyun_Stan Monday, April 24, 2017

Yeah. Kpop never has sexual undertones(and overtones!)

Pearle ThatsWhatsup 27 days ago

Lol

coca2 Thursday, April 20, 2017

what's up with non asians doing kpop these days i mean im not hating or anything im just surprised

ThatsWhatsup coca2 Thursday, April 20, 2017

Non Koreans have been doing it for a while. Why not non Asians?

coca2 ThatsWhatsup Thursday, April 20, 2017

by non asians i meant white people, black people ....

ThatsWhatsup coca2 Thursday, April 20, 2017

By non Koreans I meant Chinese people, Japanese people, Thai people. 8)

coca2 ThatsWhatsup Thursday, April 20, 2017

i know thats why i tried to explaine why i used non asians

ThatsWhatsup coca2 Thursday, April 20, 2017

You're missing my point, but it's ok. Be well.

MeniNova coca2 Thursday, April 20, 2017

I also wonder as well. Kpop is a big money maker nowadays and everyone is trying to get a piece of the cake.

Baekhyun_Stan coca2 Thursday, April 20, 2017

it's the trend and people want to be popular easily. They don't train like real kpop artists.

ThatsWhatsup Baekhyun_Stan Friday, April 21, 2017

Do they need to?

coca2 Baekhyun_Stan Friday, April 21, 2017

to be honest if they trained like real kpop artists and went through the same harships as them everyone will see them differently but no they just want to make it easy !! like even jadnn said he will drop a kpop song after 4months

ThatsWhatsup coca2 Friday, April 21, 2017

I don't know about you, but when I listen to Kpop or music in general I don't really hear the "hardships." I just hear the music. If you don't like these artists, don't listen :D

coca2 ThatsWhatsup Friday, April 21, 2017

i see you in all of my comments lol ! i respect your opinion and it will be nice if you resect mine as well :)

ThatsWhatsup coca2 Monday, April 24, 2017

All of your comments? Like where? Have I shown any form of disrespect? I thought the reply button was made for us to be able to hold dialogue.

FUNK_U_UP ThatsWhatsup 29 days ago

lol how intolerant you will be?? just because I didn't agree with your comments and disliked it, you had to go on and stalk me and dislike my comments from another post which has no relation with this.. lmao😂 you really made me laugh

ThatsWhatsup FUNK_U_UP 29 days ago

Now tell me. How does that make you feel?

Baekhyun_Stan ThatsWhatsup 28 days ago

I disliked your comment so you tracked me down and disliked all of mine? XD wow

FUNK_U_UP ThatsWhatsup 28 days ago

It made me feel that i'm arguing with a 12 year old XD

ThatsWhatsup FUNK_U_UP 28 days ago

And how does that make you feel?

Baekhyun_Stan ThatsWhatsup 28 days ago

I disliked your comment 0-0 you gonna dislike all of mine?

emery coca2 27 days ago

idk how to delete this

FUNK_U_UP emery 22 days ago

same T.T

EmilyStrauss222 Thursday, April 20, 2017

It is not K-Pop just because it is in Korean. K-Pop has clearly defined, musical and aesthetical components, that this lacks. It has nothing to do with the singer. It has all to do with the concept. In K-Pop there is different styles depending on the concept. So a big group will have dances, a solist will hire actors, and so on. There will also most likely be in the video representations of the Korean culture, most commonly its dating and love culture as well as its modesty one. K-Pop has a formula. To be K-Pop you must follow a formula. If you do not follow the formula, regardless of signing in Korean, you are not making K-Pop, you are JUST singing in Korean. All the same as Korean traditional music is sang in Korean and it is still, not K-Pop.

ThatsWhatsup EmilyStrauss222 Thursday, April 20, 2017

What is REALLY in a name? Call it what you want. Still sounds good.

MeniNova EmilyStrauss222 Thursday, April 20, 2017

That is true. Kpop is not simply just singing in Kpop but it is actually apart of the culture as well.

ThatsWhatsup MeniNova Friday, April 21, 2017

Guess you could say the same for Jpop, yet Koreans still make Japanese albums and singles. There is a simple solution to this if you don't like it... Don't listen.

Queeneather EmilyStrauss222 Friday, April 21, 2017

Emily what defibed musical and asthetical points are those that they dont have? Btw big groups dont always have dances. And their not even a big group.

MeniNova ThatsWhatsup Friday, April 21, 2017

Did you not read the original comment?

ThatsWhatsup MeniNova Friday, April 21, 2017

Sure did. I stand by my statement.

EmilyStrauss222 ThatsWhatsup Friday, April 21, 2017

I sure do agree that it does sound good.

EmilyStrauss222 Queeneather Friday, April 21, 2017

Colors are rather pertaining to that style of american editing as well as clothes, hair style and makeup selection. The set as well lacks of certain points you will always see in K-Pop, the box, the "fake-village", the cars on the back, and so on. It does also not comply to the usual, cute, sexy, rebelious and variations that K-Pop music videos concepts are based on. I could go on. The lyrics are, as well, too straigh forward when talking about sexual themes. K-Pop, due to Korean modesty mainstream music culture will be muted or will take on the use of metaphors and euphemisms. In summary, if you put the american version on top, I could have never ever guessed it was K-Pop, it lacks of K-Pop's formula. As I said, tho, that does not mean it is not valid or a good song, for that matter.

EmilyStrauss222 ThatsWhatsup Friday, April 21, 2017

Actually, when Koreans do JPop it does sound like Japanese Pop, and it takes on the themes and styles that pertain to the cathegory. You can definitely tell when a Kpop group is doing a JPop song for the Japanese market. Watch SNSD's videos for examples. Provided, of course that they are not just simple Japanese covers of Korean songs, but JPop style songs specifically made for the Japanese market.

MeniNova ThatsWhatsup Friday, April 21, 2017

Also, Japanese singers such as Gackt who have sung in Korean. But then again, you know more than I do so please continue with the nonsense.

MeniNova EmilyStrauss222 Friday, April 21, 2017

You're wasting your time explaining to an individual who doesn't want to understand.

veronicavivian EmilyStrauss222 Friday, April 21, 2017

K-pop has been greatly influenced by western culture though. From the music to fashion, visual effects and themes. The combination of all these elements makeup what we are used to seeing in k-pop but a lot of it doesn't even represent Korean culture, as many music videos are not even filmed in Korea. Big groups not always have dances and soloists not always hire actors. You're talking about stereotypes here, so since it's incorrect to assume all Asians are good at math, it's also incorrect to say k-pop has defined musical and aesthetical components. Perhaps this was the case 10 years ago, but as a global phenomenon k-pop is now in constant evolution and idols want to experiment and express themselves with different sounds and visuals. Soloists are not just ballad singers with sad romantic MVs anymore. Zion.T, DEAN, Crush, Jay Park, Jessi and Heize are a good example of it. And idol groups are a lot more than synchronized dancers in colorful boxes since many MVs now days are more artistic and have deep meanings.

MaiWaipeu EmilyStrauss222 Saturday, April 22, 2017

I highly suspect that K-pop is a term popularized outside of Korea. I say K-pop to refer to pop music in the Korean music industry, so I think that K-pop should represent Korea in some way. To me, nothing about this video indicates that this is K-pop except for the language they're singing in, which may imply that they did this while in Korea, which is possible since there are non-Asian people living in Seoul. I doubt they have an agency in Korea to support them financially because no Korean agencies are going to see mainstream potential in them, and thus they're most likely not a K-pop group.

MaiWaipeu Saturday, April 22, 2017

I think it has little to do with the style or aesthetics because most elements in K-pop are borrowed from overseas, and they tend to give it a little twist from a Korean aspect. Nowadays I start to see even less of those twists, and resemble even more like western music and MVs in K-pop.

MaiWaipeu Saturday, April 22, 2017

And btw, I just saw that EXP group MV and I felt like I just watched an elaborate MV by the Abnormal Summit cast.

ThatsWhatsup EmilyStrauss222 Monday, April 24, 2017

Not sure why I'm catching so much salt here. "Kpop is not simply just singing in Kpop" As I said, I guess you can say the same thing about Jpop. Oh and Koreans doing Jpop does NOT sound like actual Jpop. This is coming from a fluent speaker.

ThatsWhatsup MeniNova Monday, April 24, 2017

You're so mad. All I'm saying is that you can label this music anything you want. Kpop, Rap, trash, call it whatever you want. Still sounds good to me, and I'm proud of them. :D

MeniNova ThatsWhatsup Monday, April 24, 2017

Huh? Did you not read my previous comments?

ThatsWhatsup MeniNova 30 days ago

You can't keep up. I understand. Be well.

EmilyStrauss222 ThatsWhatsup 24 days ago

Lol, no one said, fluent speaker, that the pronunciation of the words was that exact of the Japanese language, but that those are musically and visually-wise, products conceived for the Japanese market.

EmilyStrauss222 veronicavivian 24 days ago

K-Pop HAS been greatly influenced by western culture, as it is, the mere genre of Pop was not conceived in South Korea. An element does not have to pertain or represent the Korean culture to be a forming part of what a category or sub-genre is regarded as. All the same as the location implies little in a piece’s categorization. “You're talking about stereotypes here” I am not talking about stereotypes, I am defining a category, that as any other will have exceptions (Zion.T, DEAN, Crush, Jay Park, Jessi and Heize, all regarded as somewhat underground in the midst of the K-Pop mainstream scene) exceptions that, as we say, make the rule. The only way to define something is that of taking its most notable characteristics and pointing them out. Rare will be the time, when even exceptions do not fall into one of these categories. “Big groups not always have dances and soloists not always hire actors.” Evidently, but most of the time, and most importantly, in a mainstream fashion, they do. “And idol groups are a lot more than synchronized dancers in colorful boxes since many MVs now days are more artistic and have deep meanings.” I don’t think you will ever find someone that denies that, I certainly do not, however, for what a definition is, and that is not interpretation and subjectivity, these are points to focus on, when defining something.

totes