Variety

Younha regrets dropping out of high school to debut as a singer

February 4, 2014 @ 6:11 pm
by alim17
  • 0
  • 0
  • 51
  • 16845
  • 518

Younha appeared on the February 4 installment of KBS 2TV's '1 Vs. 100' where she revealed her reasons for dropping out of high school.

She said, "I did not want to lose the chance to debut as a singer so I dropped out of high school."  MC Han Suk Joon said, "You dropped out of high school and promoted as a singer in Japan.  How were you able to make such a daring decision at such a young age?"

Younha said, "At the time, a Korean drama was produced based on a Japanese one.  I took part in the project to create an OST in Korean.  I thought I might not be able to become a singer without this chance I had.  I regret it."

SEE ALSO: [Album Review] Super Junior - 'Mamacita'

She also talked about her experiences in Japan, saying, "When I was promoting in Japan, I had no notion of money.  My mother gave me an allowance of 5,000 yen (~ $50 USD) and I would squander 3,000 yen (~ $30 USD) at a rotating sushi bar."

What do you think, did Younha make the right decision in dropping out to become a singer?

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 50 comments

Sort by:

kangsejong
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

taecsmybaby
· Posted February 5, 2014 @ 6:03 am

It was a brave decision.

k0r0k
· Posted February 5, 2014 @ 4:32 am

whats up with people complaining about how silly of her to throw away her education when she was only postponing her high school education. i think what she really regrets  is about not having memories of high school life like other people.  what's important she continue with her education and graduated from Hankuk University of Foreign Studies majoring in Japanese studies.

star123987
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 10:22 pm

it's a huge risk, but sometimes you have to take that risk, yaknow?

but not that many people are courageous to do so... i really admire younha.

school... you can go back to it any time you want.

i kind of admire younha actually. i wish i had enough courage to just drop everything and run... tired of where i am right now...

macbo1
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 9:43 pm

That's the most stupid decision that she could ever make. Good luck and have a horrible career

daifelwang
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 10:31 pm
Younha actually has already returned to school and graduated! She received her GED in 2007 and attended the Korean Foreign Language University, majoring in Japanese.

bebemui
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 8:55 pm

but she ended up getting her GED anyways right because she went on to studying japanese at a college or uni..

dawonlee
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 8:09 pm

My father always say, "Whatever you do, don't let go of your education. It's the only weapon you have and nobody can take it (knowledge) away from you." I just want to tell those who have plans to audition for agencies in the future, don't quit school just to chase your dream. If you want to make lots of money, school is where to invest in. If you want to meet celebrities, make a lot of money then you'll have connections. So overall, continue studying hard.

stravdius
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 8:14 pm
does your father rich?
dawonlee
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 8:20 pm
@stravdius *Is your father rich? Let me answer you that with a question: Why does it matter?
xkpopaddict
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 8:31 pm
That is true. Although it is best to go to school, you don't need to in order to earn a lot of money. It just depends. There are a lot of people who make a lot of money and they dropped out or didn't attend college.
samoankpoper21
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 9:15 pm
*preach*
dawonlee
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 9:28 pm
@stravdius My father's family was very poor and he said he cried when he saw other kids eating because he has a lot of siblings and there's not enough food. My grandma picked up food that other people thrown out. Even though the situation back then was difficult, my dad was the only one in the entire family to finish school and graduate from college. Education got him out of poverty. That's why I'm here typing to you with an iPad and not scraping food from the sewage under a bridge.
milktea-
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 9:30 pm
I think it's not wise to drop out of high school, but post-secondary is definitely optional. Yes, it is better to have a degree but chase after your dream is equally important too. Especially somethings are meant to do when you are young, you can always go back to school, but opportunity is hard to come by.
2008kpop
· Posted February 5, 2014 @ 5:29 am
For a lot of people out there, money isn't their first priority, the fame or/and the music is...
stravdius
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 8:47 am
@dawonlee well my dad not finished high-school because he is his family first son, so he want to start working to help his family, and now all his other sibling have college decree.... but all of them is as rich as him, his restaurant business is blooming anda have many chain-restaurant on our disposal, by know our accountant said that our family is financially free... imagine what happened if he insisted to finished high-school... he might became a regular employee and all of his brothers might be not getting their colleges decree
stravdius
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 8:47 am
@stravdius edit not as rich as my dad
dawonlee
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 11:27 am
@stravdius I don't quite understand what you're saying but it depends on the person... and a stroke of luck.
stravdius
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 2:19 pm
@dawonlee my point are not the degree that matter in this life but to try on became smart and take on every chance you got and make it work, if you got a good chance to became successful but your school life hinder it, then my opinion is to dump it, and focus on the chance, becoming smart not necessary mean on finishing education course, you can just learn from other things like from book, your boss, and other things. you see, if my father finished his high school our family business might not became as big as now. because it will have more competitions. just like what bill gates did, if he waits to graduate from college, some other company might already exist and Microsoft might not be as big as right now. Is not education that make someone to became successful, is taking chances and making it work
anastasia-ss
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 2:41 pm
@dawonlee since when does, buying his children an i-pad counts as successful? my uncle is just a security guard but yet he also can buy his daughters an i-pad and he not even graduated from junior high
duncanx12
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 2:50 pm
@dawonlee i don't think ordinary guy like your dad, is a good example. like it or not money is power, with money you get lots of option. If you suddenly became gravely ill and needs 10 million dollars for surgery, can you dad afford it? cause I've seen lots of people who doesn't graduated from college able to afford it. if he can't then he is not successful thus his advice is worthless
donatella
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 2:55 pm
so does your father have a lot of money and connection to meet celebrities ?
dawonlee
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 6:10 pm
@anastasia-ss I don't want to brag about myself so I stayed humble, having an iPad is already better than most people out there. What would become of me if I go on here and tell you about how rich I am? I won't do that.
dawonlee
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 6:12 pm
@donatella If I say yes, would you believe me? I don't think this is the best place to prove my wealthiness to the world. Instead of nitpicking the small points, try and look at what my main point was: Education = Money.
dawonlee
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 6:15 pm
@duncanx12 I am going to sit down and think about the first half of what you said, but I really don't like the way you're saying my father's advice is worthless. I'm getting offended.
anastasia-ss
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 6:31 pm
@dawonlee what does your father do? was he a businessman, a surgeon, a director or just a regular employee? I am curious to know, how successful he are, cause my parents bought me a car (a mini cooper if you want to ask) for my birthday, and i don't even think he's considered as successful just a regular person the reason i think like that i have lot friends who is a lot more richer than me :D
dawonlee
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 6:33 pm
@anastasia-ss I'll just inbox you :3
dawonlee
· Posted February 10, 2014 @ 7:04 pm
@duncanx12 I'm done thinking, it's not that my father's asvice is worthless. It's because you and him have different opinions. My father says education will make me successful. You say he's not rich enough and there are people who come from lower background and still managed to become rich. That's two different opinions え

motoko-kusanagi
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 7:45 pm

While singing is her career, she may have other things she want to pursue, or there may come a day when no one is seeking her out to record songs, or people aren't buying her albums. An education is very important because with one you have options. So that is why I think she regrets it, she only knows singing.

damyoungji
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

I am sure she regrets it, but at the same time, glad that she made that choice. With her voice, I am sure she would have made it even if she delayed the process of pursuing her dreams, but at the same time, who knows what could have happened. She could have had an easier or tougher time, so in the end, it all comes down to luck. What matters now is that she has and still is achieving her dreams.

lidia-cardenas
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 7:16 pm

but why now she gets much more money and is a successful singer

kangsejong
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

why? she is successful as singer, the problem is for people like Sohee and her friends of wg or the people of Kara who don't have any talent and once the group disband they don't know what to do and they are lost!

alrud
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 8:01 pm
LOL you made me laugh...
krevice
· Posted February 5, 2014 @ 4:15 pm
As far as Goo Hara (KARA), if you search here on AKP under articles with "richest idols" ... the 'top listed' article (Feb. 13, 2013) lists Goo Hara as the 3RD PLACE Most Wealthy Idol.
kangsejong
· Posted February 5, 2014 @ 4:20 pm
@krevice ok it was in the past and who knows how she got all this money, maybe she slept with producers, and if Kara was so successful why Nicole left kara, only to join her boyfriend and to copulate with him?
krevice
· Posted February 5, 2014 @ 4:21 pm
Additionally, if you search under AKP articles here with "Hara Building" ... the 'top listed' article (Oct. 22, 2013) says "It was also revealed that KARA's Hara possesses a five-story building in Seoul's Cheongdam-dong."
kangsejong
· Posted February 5, 2014 @ 4:23 pm
@krevice stop turning around and answer me how she got this money, and why Nicole was not happy and left Kara?
krevice
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 9:23 am
@kangsejong said --> "how she (Hara) got this money?" I would suggest from working as a K-pop performer and investing her money intelligently. If you have another theory on how Goo Hara got her money (personal net worth), I'm listening.
krevice
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 9:31 am
@kangsejong said --> "Maybe she (Goo Hara) slept with (K-pop) producers (to get money)." <-- More baseless accusations from you. It is really SAD what you are doing. Disgracing yourself to other S. Koreans in this manner; IF you are even S. Korean.
kangsejong
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 10:01 am
@krevice always trying to evade answering question, why Nicole and Seugyeon left Kara, what is the difference among them? in opposite of you I live in korea and I know some of girls do everything to get famous and earn money, Nicole was more talented and prettiest than Hara, I guess they earn the same amount of money, so why Nicole was not able to gather so much money, another example GG. they are very successful and of course they are able to buy luxurious car and home but none of them possess such wealth and they started their career before Kara, if really Hara is so wealthy where did her get the money, by the way you can see on the internet the movie Norigae to know what I mean, I hope it's not the case of Hara but who knows, she is so cool about changing her sexual partner, why not selling herself for money!
krevice
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 5:38 pm
@kangsejong said --> "If really (KARA member) Hara is so wealthy where did her get the money? ... (Hara) she is so cool about changing her sexual partner, (maybe) why not selling herself for money!" <-- I wonder if your 'logic' applies to SUZY (Miss A), who is the leading income from CF (TV Ad) endorsement female in S. Korea. Does SUZY have this high income CF situation because of passing out 'sexual favors' to the 'right people' in the K-entertainment business too? One wonders about possible future statements from you that ANY FEMALE in S. Korea with above average income/wealth, is likely to be some sort of sexual prostitute? Anyway again, all of these unsupported sexual prostitution insinuations from you that are directed at K-pop females, are a SAD situation.
krevice
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 5:43 pm
@kangsejong <-- You've gotten a LOT of negative feedback from other AKP users about your views posted on AKP too. I guess you regard that as some sort of 'compliment' to you; that your message is 'getting through' somehow. I don't see it. But unless AKP puts a 'stop' to you (kang/kingsejong), you get to 'keep on keeping on' with it. IF AKP were to put your current "kangsejong" into BANNED status, let me suggest the following new replacement user name on AKP = WingNutSeJong ... (meaning) WINGNUT = "An outspoken, irrational person" ... Although I suspect that you will opt instead for "KingKongSeJong" <-- The Unbroken, Ever Vigilant Voice of K-pop Wingnut Truth! (ROFLMAO!)
kangsejong
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 6:01 pm
@krevice my poor kid you are completely insane, I asked you why the girls of GG are not so wealthy, you are talking to me about Suzy, there is a big difference between suzy and this sex addicted Hara, but I think there is something wrong in your brain, why you don't check yourself to a doctor, believe me you will not regret it!
krevice
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 6:59 pm
@kangsejong ... For wealth related to GG (SNSD) members ... For the AKP search box under 'articles' use search = "Jessica Yuri Villa" ... The 'top listed' article (Oct 11, 2013) says "Recently, it was revealed that Girls' Generation's Seohyun had purchased a villa in Gangnam, but it appears she was not the only member to do so. It has been confirmed that fellow members Jessica and Yuri had also bought luxurious villas in Cheongdam-dong in Seoul's Gangnam district." ... I'd guess that other GG members are doing well financially too. As to whether that means that most GG members are somehow prostitutes, I'm certain that you have a view on it. But I'm just NOT interested in it. And I don't think many other AKP users are either.
kangsejong
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 7:08 pm
@krevice I said this before, they have at most a villa, or a nice car, and they are in the business for more long time than Hara, how is it possible that hara has such wealth in such short time and why not Nicole and jiyoung?
krevice
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 7:35 pm
@kangsejong ... I'm guessing that SUZY has the most money (wealth) for the Miss A members. And the reason is that SUZY is getting a BIG SLICE of CF (TV Ad) and other 'outside money' versus other members of Miss A. As to why that is, I'm going to suggest that it has NOTHING to do with SUZY being a prostitute in some manner. With GG, I'm pretty sure that TAEYEON is doing VERY well financially, somewhat better than other members of GG. Does this make TAEYEON a prostitute? Finally, your 'logic' in this discussion is not of any value, as I see it.
krevice
· Posted February 6, 2014 @ 7:37 pm
@kangsejong ... What I just said in the last message should give you a clue as to why Goo Hara has more wealth than some other members of KARA. But you should have known that anyway.

· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 6:39 pm

hmmm no opinion on dropping out of high school but she shouldn't regret spending her money on that sushi bar! Delicioussssss

minah24-7
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

Debut chances dont come every day ... while school can be finished whenever so i dont see why she would regret it. It was a parth to success.

ethanol
· Posted February 4, 2014 @ 6:58 pm
A path to making an average income here in New Zealand (they really don't make shit with selling albums in SKorea).
The End