Gossip

Crayon Pop under plagiarism accusations for 'Lonely Christmas' + composer Kim Yu Min & Chrome Entertainment respond

December 3, 2013 @ 11:33 am
by starsung
  • 2
  • 7
  • 171
  • 39951
  • 593

Crayon Pop was hit with plagiarism accusations upon netizens noticing the similarities between "Lonely Christmas" and the opening theme song for the Japanese anime series, 'Lupin the Third'.

SEE ALSO: Crayon Pop's success story to be published as a comic book

The composer Kim Yu Min behind "Lonely Christmas" denied the accusations, explaining in detail with some music theory as to how the two songs are different and that the songs sound similar because they fall into the same bebop jazz genre.

He also claimed that he's never heard of the song in question as he shared through his Facebook, "'Lonely Christmas' is an innocently-made piece of work without any reference used... If I intended to copy the intro of 'Lupin the Third', unless I'm a fool, I wouldn't have made the similarities so noticeable. It's because I've never heard of the 'Lupin the Third' song that the result of the intro for 'Lonely Christmas' was due to the similar genre of music."

"The reason why the two songs' intros sound similar is because they both are of a bebop genre with a brass pattern subdivided into sixteenth note beats and an off-beat rhythm. In the case of bebop, the flow of the start of the song gives it anticipation, and one can say that the intro for 'Lonely Christmas' and 'Lupin the Third' falls into the same category... But the two songs' intro is different in tune and beat after the 1st 16-beat measure... In terms of scale degrees, 'Lonely Christmas' is also 1st-7th-4th-5th/1st-5th-7th-1st/ while 'Lupin the Third' is /1st-3rd-7th-1st/1st-3rd-4th-1st/..."

Chrome Entertainment also assured fans that the controversy won't affect Crayon Pop's comeback activities, stating, "[Crayon Pop] will kick off their comeback stages this week beginning on the 4th as scheduled."

What do you think? You can compare the openings in the video below.

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 171 comments

Sort by:

jonathan-m
· Posted December 10, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

The intros are similar, so what? That intro isn't that unique. I never saw that Lupin anime before today, and I STILL thought the intro sounded familiar. Besides, the rest of the song is completely different. Once more, the people who cried "copycat" strike again...

lswlsw7
· Posted December 5, 2013 @ 1:37 am

Crayon pop fighting!!!

lswlsw7
· Posted December 5, 2013 @ 1:36 am

Crayon pop fighting!!!

lara-jimin
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 11:08 am

I am honestly shocked. It's the exact same notes! even the pauses are at the same places O: but well, I dont know what exactly do people consider as plagiarism but as far as it seems the 2 intros are almost exactly the same.

commodore
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 11:37 am
so is it the exact same notes? or almost exactly the same note? or sounds similar but actually the most of the notes are not the same?
infinitej
· Posted December 5, 2013 @ 3:22 am

fauxbourgeois
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 10:56 am

I knew it! When I was listening to the song I heard a distinct sound that was similar to Lupin the third's intro song. This was blatant copying and plagiarizing. The composers didn't even try to hide it at all. People should understand that this is a big deal because this is obviously someone's work that was blatantly ripped off by other composers. The company should be sued for doing this shit.

And I am not here for apologists in this thread. Y'all know this is wrong. It's like because you like Kpop and you put it on such a high pedestal, anything else becomes secondary to you. I am sure you're not infants anymore because you should distinguish between what is right and what is wrong.

And this is clearly wrong.

super-suck
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 9:57 am

Haters only attack small team, Crayon Pop only belong to small company, we should help them, they are hard-working to promote songs, haters are trampling Crayon Pop, It is very hard for CP to be famous, now, they have some achievements, you guys come to bash, haters are so cruel.

super-suck
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 9:50 am

I like Craypon Pop

super-suck
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 9:51 am
Crayon Pop fighting!

shiroichanuk
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 9:41 am

Firstly I don't believe that the song is plagiarised. #CrayonPopFighting

Secondly I'm all for K-pop but A LOT of it's fans are some of THE BIGGEST bunch of HYPOCRITES on the Internet. I've seen so many comments on this article stating that every time a K-pop artist/group releases a new song Japanese netizens accuse them of plagiarising but what you fail to acknowledge is that K-pop fans have accused Japanese artists/groups of plagiarism of music, dances, outfits, hairstyles and even the amount of members that are in a group. Don't post negative comments about another countries people or it's music if you can't take what you dish out.

This is one of the many reasons why the K-pop fandom gets so much bad publicity.

infinitedream
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 7:46 am

a composer must be know well how to make new arrangement. Better you understand what you hear than believe at mount or eyes.

sswwrr
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 7:37 am

everytime a kpop song comes out, some crazy japanese netizens accuse them of plagarizing in favor of jpop. this is not the first time. remember when psy's gangnam style and the all the japanese were spreading rumors it was a copy of a commercial?? ONLY JAPAN IN THIS WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

crimson-moon
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 7:37 am

Loving all the tone-deaf hater downvotes on everyone's comments, hilarious.

sswwrr
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 7:34 am

so typical of japanese. they love to fantasize about koreans and everyone else copying them lol

devinadedevil
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 1:33 pm
so typical of insecure, delusional Kpop fans. They love to fantasize that all these accusations are claimed by Japanese. Do you even realize that there are a lot of anime lovers & fans across the world?

btchesbelike
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 7:30 am
finally crayon pop do plagiarism .

ballerz14
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 6:56 am

and they say Music is universal. fucking japanese.

hiroonakamura5
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 5:28 am

100% plagiarism here.- the crayon pop song's intro is a direct copy of the lupin intro

Vero956
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 4:55 am
I've tried listening to Crayon Pop's songs and I'm shock at how lame their music is.

mr-ben
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 2:36 am

OH! Wait, oh wait, oh wait!!!!!!! If you REALLY wanna hear 2 songs that are basically the fricking same melody? YouTube: Kylie Minogue "ALL I SEE", then listen to Jordan Sparks "ONE STEP AT A TIME"; then lets talk about plagiarism

mr-ben
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 2:27 am

Hahahahaha!!!! Okay, so i was going post that I also heard Lupin when I viewed the full MV of LC. But I just brushed it off and was like, 'it just happens to be in the same vein of musical style', and then I wrote a really fun comment on YouTube. Still after watching the MV of LC I went to watchcartoonsonline and had a Lupin movie marathon…lol BUT yeah, I heard Lupin the 1st time I heard the song in it's entirety…just remember that there only so many notes that are on a keyboard. #CrayonPopFighting

2pmhottesttt
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 1:55 am

Da fuq?

reeesie
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 1:11 am

It's funny how people got are saying it's no big deal because only a certain amount of time was plagiarized/similar when everybody was getting angry at Team B for copying a few dance moves and saying it's still plagiarism. Whether it be a few seconds or a couple moves, plagiarism is plagiarism. I don't think anyone would like their hard work to be copied without consent.

minaee
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 7:50 am
Coming from someone who is a dancer and a music composer, i have to disagree with you. Once the song has at least two different notes or chords, it doesn't count as plagiarism, no matter how similar it sounds (although you can catch someone out if the chords are like (eg guitar - Aminor, Gchord, Eminor, Aminor, then they change it to Aminor Gchord Emajor Aminor). When you take someone's dance moves without asking for permission and publicly display their moves when the rules were to "create a dance and perform", whether you credited them or not it still count's as plagiarism because you did it without the choreographer's consent. But I do agree that plagiarism is plagiarism, and no one should copy anyone's work without their consent~
reeesie
· Posted December 4, 2013 @ 7:54 pm
@minaee As a dancer that knows music, but not a composer, I agree. I never said they plagiarized either. I'm saying how hypocritical people are by saying "It's only so and so amount of time so it doesn't matter" but copying one dance move is plagiarism no matter what. Do you understand what I mean now?