Variety

Ladies' Code's Sojung reveals she didn't have her period for a year due to her extreme diet

September 3, 2013 @ 6:12 pm
by starsung
  • 2
  • 0
  • 507
  • 107901
  • 1203
Although it's hard to notice on TV, Ladies' Code's Sojung showed just how skinny she has gotten underneath her baggy clothes and revealed the shocking consequences of her extreme diet.

SEE ALSO: Prosecution asks for 2.5 year jail sentence for Ladies' Code's road manager + verdict expected in January

On the September 3rd broadcast of 'Incarnation', Sojung shared, "The reason I started my diet was because I met my members for the first time and they were all so pretty. But I don't have a pretty face. Only my voice is like that. [When I featured on 'Voice Korea'], I was 49 kg (~108 lbs.) but I lost 12 kg (~26 lbs.). Honestly, 49 kg is a normal weight but when I saw myself on TV, I received a big shock. I thought to myself that even with this figure, I come out this big on TV. Nothing fits me right now. I am a size 33." RiSe shared, "Whenever we shoot a pictorial, they slim down our figures through editing. But for Sojung, they have to widen her figure."

Sojung shared, "I don't have the thought of wanting to eat. I hated that I wanted to eat something so I didn't eat anything. I didn't eat anything and I just worked out. I just didn't eat. I used to drink only water all day. For 2-3 days, I ate only 5 cherry tomatoes. I just hated myself when I wanted to eat. When I get hungry, my stomach starts growling. But I would tell my stomach that I wasn't hungry. I would tell my stomach, 'I'm not hungry so why are you growling?' Now that I look back on it, I wonder why I did all that."

"When I first started my diet, I work out and didn't eat. I would feel dizzy and my hand  would shake. I was washing myself in the shower when I felt like my body was breaking apart. I was wiping my body with a towel but it hurt so much..."

"This is a sensitive topic but when you start a diet, women experience something once-a-month. But I didn't have my period for close to a year. At first, I thought it was comfortable. But since I didn't have it for close to a year, I started to get worried. So I went to the hospital and the doctors told me that my physical condition became like the body of a 5th grade student in elementary school. They told me that my hormone levels dropped to the floor. I asked them what that means and they told me that my hormones are on the level of a woman who is going through menopause. I asked them what should I do? They told me that if I don't increase my body fat by 5 kg, I might have to live like that forever. Right now, I only have 5 kg (~11 lbs.) of body fat throughout my whole body. When I heard that, I realized that this wasn't right."

She assured fans, "I'm almost fully recovered now and I'm above 40 kg (~88 lbs.)", leading the MCs and guests to advise her to gain more weight as they're concerned for her health.

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 505 comments

Sort by:

koreancutie97
· Posted September 3, 2014 @ 11:46 pm

Support for Ladies' Code in light of recent events! You've gained a supporter in me ♥♥

star121600
· Posted January 20, 2014 @ 9:54 am

I am 173 cm and I remember when I dieted to the point I was 44kg. My BMI was less than 15. I lost 1 kg and my period didn't come for 5 months. I realized I had to stop when I saw pictures of me with my friend and I looked skinny to the point of creepiness. Well, I wasn't really DIETING, I was just eating 3 meals a day and eating small portions. Now that I think back, I was only eating about 500-600 calories a day. Please don't ever starve yourself. This comes from both Sojung and I. It doesn't make you look better, but damages your body. Even now, my period isn't as normal as it was.

hawawa
· Posted December 1, 2013 @ 5:41 pm

Since when could people diagnose someone who they've never met or even seen in person, over the internet?! Please stop bringing the word anorexia into this. Maybe she isn't, maybe she is, maybe she was, but whatever the truth is she most probably wants to keep it private to prevent fans from being concerned. Please respect her decisions and stop jumping to conclusions. Stay strong Sojung! <3

scarletfbl
· Posted December 3, 2013 @ 10:15 am
By definition, what she went through/is going through fits the criteria of anorexia, especially combined with the loss of a period (No, I'm not a doctor, and this isn't a diagnosis, but you can open any medical book and read, can't you?). Being concerned that someone is anorexic will not hurt them, and is a form of support for her. Brushing the fact that she MAY have anorexia (like you are) under the rug, like a dirty, shameful thing is more harmful than helpful.
bluegarden
· Posted September 3, 2014 @ 6:06 pm
Not to mention fear of gaining weight is one of the clinical characteristics of AN. and no it's not some fear like 'oh god i think i gained weight!' that kind of fear, real true fear. I don't know what her height is but AN definition is when a sufferer lose 85% of their body weight and she said her weight was above 40kg which meant she was under it when she was suffering AN. Control and excessive exercise is also symptoms of AN. I'm sure she told her fans to show that she was trying her best at beating the disease and admitting they have AN is one of the step of therapy.

tinyc
· Posted November 8, 2013 @ 7:54 pm

what she described was a eating disorder a fear of gaining weight after eating poor her, hope she gets healthy again <3

izahwayleto
· Posted November 6, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Coitada! Ela estava anoréxica :/     Ainda bem que se conscientizou e vai se cuidar melhor,e ganhar mais peso.

bluetabi
· Posted October 5, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

damnnn SO FUCKING SKINNYYY

mariemabid1996
· Posted September 12, 2013 @ 3:11 am

poor thing hope she gets wel their is too much pressure in korea to look skinny !!!

xmylullaby
· Posted September 9, 2013 @ 8:57 am

anorexia = extreme diet ... is that how we call it today ...

feverexo
· Posted September 8, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

please take care of yourself

gumikonn
· Posted September 8, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

This isn't exactly dieting as much as an eating disorder... I'm proud of her for looking to recover and even sharing this much information, but I don't understand why she couldn't say it outright. Even with this being out there, people still glorify not eating and prioritizing thinness over health...

ninja21
· Posted September 8, 2013 @ 10:29 am

"I was washing myself in the shower when I felt like my body was breaking apart. I was wiping my body with a towel but it hurt so much..."
OMG this sounds like a thriller scene><

j4n1desu
· Posted September 8, 2013 @ 8:08 am

It wasn't 'dieting', she was starving herself. And what she just described has a name, it's called anorexia! What's wrong with saying it outright? The important thing is that she sought help and is now on the way to full recovery.

rubysonyeo
· Posted September 6, 2013 @ 11:13 am

I'm curious about something. Why doesn't anyone ever mention anorexia, but instead use terms like "extreme diet"? Sojung obviously had anorexia, she was starving herself. But they never mention it and instead say she was dieting too much.

ohjimindokyungso
· Posted September 6, 2013 @ 7:09 am

I always sad when heard many idols go dieting

exowild
· Posted September 5, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

Holy she so skinny

exotickamilia_
· Posted September 5, 2013 @ 6:37 pm

This is crazy, why can't people just realize that being skinny doesn't mean you're pretty! I prefer that someone is an average weight, who cares is you have chubby thighs or whatever...it's stupid to go on a diet for that. Just eat comfortably and do some sports...

dbskbigbangmblaq
· Posted September 5, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

what a luck

triniblossom
· Posted September 5, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

That's scary but I would to get rid of my period and the PAINFUL cramps associated with it

intimesky
· Posted September 5, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

Extreme diet is really not a good and really dangerous

chisoshi
· Posted September 5, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

Wow that is crazy and shocking to see an idol reveal