Social Media

by starsung
  • 0
  • 0
  • 694
  • 120051
  • 647
You may remember G-Dragon's recent selca that brought him quite a bit of mixed reactions from the international audience, even gaining attention on media outlets like SPIN magazine and LA Times, which suggested the selca may be a poorly carried out tribute to Trayvon Martin.

The photo spurred quite a debate on the idol's Instagram, where it was originally posted, with fans arguing with one another about whether the idol had intentionally 'blackfaced' himself or whether it was just a dark colored facial mask.

In response to the controversy brewing, YG Entertainment reached out to SPIN to clarify the matter at hand, stating that this was all just a big misunderstanding.

The reps said,

"GD was simply wearing different face paint colors and this is a huge misunderstanding. The face paint is only a color variation for his album cover which includes black, white, and red. It is in no way meant to be a political or racial statement... It's being derived by a simple photo shoot where GD was using different face paint colors for his upcoming album."

SEE ALSO: G-Dragon goes on a selca spree and sparks some mixed reactions along the way

What are your thoughts on the matter?

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 694 comments

Sort by:

nathasiane-marco
· Posted September 19, 2013 @ 11:27 am

Everyone's just over reacting. G-DRAGON IS INNOCENT! -_- #backpack

kaylahyuna
· Posted August 13, 2013 @ 4:10 am

People need to chill out! First thing I thought when I see that was- it must be a facial mask. I'm a female of color and I have dealt with racism, but this is far from a racial remark. Also, to accuse him of making a statement regarding Trayvon Martin is BS considering GD has no idea who the kid is unless he is up-to-date with American news which I highly doubt.

just.me
· Posted August 11, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

To be fair, his face definitely looks reminiscent of every other time Korea's done "blackface". But to tell you the truth, he's an odd bird and I think he's going places with this in his mind that your average Joe is not going to be able to think up. I wouldn't be surprised if this had some obscure deep meaning that even the "oh no it's the illuminati!" people won't be able to pick up on.

jimikpop
· Posted August 7, 2013 @ 3:19 am

If they think that's an uproar...imagine what the world will do when they realize what the Korean word Niga means in English LOL

kpopanimefan713
· Posted August 11, 2013 @ 1:37 pm
What does it mean?
rileyboudreau
· Posted August 13, 2013 @ 7:45 pm
@kpopanimefan713 ... it means "you"

marshallcross
· Posted August 5, 2013 @ 4:54 pm

Why did he in the first place have to upload such an ugly photo of himself? :-(

david-kim
· Posted August 6, 2013 @ 5:39 pm
Why are you soo ugly?

leia13
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 9:38 am

But why was it immediately taken negatively? How do you know he was being racist, maybe it was positive. Maybe GD has some secret desire to be black. xD but seriously I do think it was just a lot of people jumping to conclusions

chingou
· Posted August 4, 2013 @ 7:28 am

Ok, I can see both sides to this. I personally wasn't offended (I'm not black ^.^) But I am asian and if someone painted their face yellow and did chinky eyes... Then I still wouldn't be offended. It's probably just me though. I'm not that sensitive to those sort of things. Yeah, my skin actually has a yellow tinge to it, yeah my eyes are small SO WHAT? BRING IT ON BRAHHHH XD I'm Korean and I'm mothaf*cking proud!!! My friend squints her eyes at me all the time and then I just call her Voldemort cuz when she ties her hair, it looks like she's bald XD.

Ok, but some people are normal unlike me and get insulted by blackface or chinky eyes or whatever. What Gdragon did probably wasn't intentional (and frankly, isn't even close to blackface. Seriously, search it up. His face paint cannot be compared to the real blackface) but some people just get sensitive over these things. Painting your face black is a universal imitation of being... Well, black! So posting the pic would obviously cause controversy without a proper explanation. It isn't entirely racist though. Racism is when you mock, make fun of and/or discriminate someone because of their race. He ain't doing any.

Anyways, deleting this pic and clearing the misunderstandings himself would be the normal way to handle the scandal but seriously, our GD is anything but normal XD

And isn't anyone else spazzing at the fact that he''s having a comeback? WHOOOOOOOOO!!!! PLEASE VISIT AUSTRALIA!!!! WE DON'T GET ANY LOOOOOVE TT.TT

ceoofthesofa
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 11:47 pm

Well, isn't this why we have racism in the first place?
People need to calm the eff down.
If we WEREN'T supposedly racist, then all of these things shouldn't matter.
The more we bring it to the public's eye, the more unnecessary racism we create.
If we were really "comfortable" living in the midst of all the races, then any of these "controversial issues" shouldn't bother us.
People think that by raising these issues is giving light to "racism" but in all honesty, all they're doing is making it worse for all the races.
It's been about 2000 years since this world has been civilized, isn't it about time we shut up and just be comfortable with each other's skin colors?
Sheesh.

biasmyungsoozy
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

Nothing weird there, GD is a weirdo , racist and anti-Christ and whatsoever.

lykavidad
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

first of all teenagers of every color ( red brown black white yellow) wear hoodies ...CHILL guys!!!... i personally have never heard of trayvon...i searched only after seeing this YG statement...WHY SO SERIOUS !!!..

b3an
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

ummm really? i dont think GD knew who he was! cmon people.

joke123
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

People who still try to hang on to this "its ignorance" need to STFU. He/korea should know by now to NOT DO BLACKFACE OR ANYTHING THAT REMOTELY RESEMBLES IT.

smokysoul
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 5:30 am

actually, people who first see this selca of GD and instantly of anything 'racist' is the racist person themselves! it's simply just a shot for fun.. my cousin have this green mask that makes her look like a shrek-hulk-grinch all in one, maybe GD should wear that so people won't call him racist :p

smokysoul
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 5:31 am
people who first see this selca of GD and instantly think of anything 'racist' is the racist person themselves!

msfan
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 3:28 am

If you are proud of your race and comfortable with your identity including your racial identity, then these things should not faze you. It is like water off a duck's back. The best attitude is to laugh with these people. Yeah, my eyes or skin may seem exotic to you, but for me, I like it and I'm "proud" of it (proud in the sense of accepting it and not wanting to change it).

But if you have an inferiority complex about your race etc, you are going to get upset about these things and blow them bigger up than they should be. It's really your problem, not the person doing the black face or the Chinky eyes or whatever. If you are confident and comfortable with your race and all the baggage that goes with it (culture etc) then you wouldn't show so much upset about it. Furthermore, it gives you the freedom to voice your opinion about other races or cultures, and having more discussion about these things in a non-charged up environment (where people are calling you "racist" as if you are the same as a murderer) is the best thing I think as far as I am concerned. I don't like this movement to make any mention of race or racial/cultural differences taboo, I think it's always better to have open dialog, and saying you're offended by this and that, as so many westerners do these days, is the quickest way to shut down dialog and discussion and actually the best way to perpetuate differences and misunderstandings.

siia
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 2:27 am

I did not find it racist. I thought it was part of a shoot or some sort of gross facial mask. Now I do find the, nappy haired head of a black man with a bone through his nose KBS flashes on the screen for humor, a bit distasteful.

msfan
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 3:13 am
I personally find it more distasteful this movement to pretend that different races don't exist. Like the way some people behave, you would never think that African tribes existed or that Eskimos existed, etc. If you allude to the existence of an alien race, by doing blackface, putting a bone through the nose or whatever, you are actually perpetuating "racism" because you are pretending these races do not exist, and acting as if certain peoples on earth do not exist is worse than anything. Why do they pretend that? Because these other races are something to be ashamed about? If you are from this race that people are making fun of or focusing on because they are different, you should just appreciate that people are going to behave that way and react that way because it's natural. It's normal to be surprised at differences, especially when the differences are so big. Yeah, the way some PC worshippers behave, you would think it's a shameful thing to admit you come from a minority race or culture. You cannot wear bindis if you're not Indian because you are alluding to a minority culture (in the west) and the Indian culture is something to be ashamed of ... so you pretend that it doesn't exist. The same for other cultures/races. That's even more racist than making fun of other races for the differences they have to us in my view. In other words, the PC people are the most racist people.
msfan
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 3:17 am
@msfan I meant: If you get mad at someone for alluding to the existence of an alien race, by doing blackface, putting a bone through the nose or whatever, you are actually perpetuating "racism" because you are pretending these races do not exist, and you want other people to behave as if they don't exist, and IMO, acting as if certain peoples on earth do not exist is worse than anything.
siia
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 3:46 pm
@msfan I can and do see humor in many things. Grew up with SNL. One of the most outlandish comedy shows there was/is. But even they have grown with the times. "black face" has even been worn by blacks to get a laugh. (not saying GD did. I think he hadn't a thought in his head about all this mess.) However, no matter what race it is being used for a laugh. When your joke is about being uneducated or not so knowing in the world of smarts. And you choose to put on your TV broadcast...Be it, a man with a bone through his nose, or and Native American holding a bloody scalp, saying how and whompum, an Asian saying, me love you loooog time. I don't care what nation you are from and who or what your job is. In this day and age? Yes, I find it a bit distasteful. Racist? I know all to well this word. And maybe this is why I can understand off beat humor more then some. I am just as sarcastic as the next person. I laugh at things most would never think of, but I do have my opinion on what to me is tactful, and what is not. I am the "alien" race. Mad? No I am not mad, I merely SMH and go on. To each is own. We all have a story. And because I have mine, I feel this has made me more of an understanding and compassionate human being. So denying the inappropriate humor, is denying ones existence.~?? I feel not. We are going to have to agree to disagree on that. I know these races exist. And not due to over the top comedy either. More like, due to daily life, education, history of others that has been presented in a truer light to those who want to see others for who they really are and not some misguided interpretation. "Alien" races. ( I prefer to say different cultures. JS) Yes we do exist, to act as if we didn't would be shameful. However, If I were to represent/introduce you to others who may know you or your culture...Would you rather I had you swinging from a tree scratching your butt looking bewildered? Or showing the world you are an intelligence race/culture, and we are not living in a blinded world anymore so, there are no excesses for that kind of ignorance? Goodness, we are both long winded. lol Any how, though it may not sound like it. I do enjoy our conversation. We are all different and that's what makes us all interesting. Thank you for your response, and going a bit off topic with me.

msfan
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 2:18 am

Everyone is racist! Everything is racist. If you say the word "black" you're a racist! If you put black stuff on your face you're a racist! And Trayvon Martin was not a thug who beat the living daylights out of a stranger! He was just an innocent sweet little boy carrying a bag of SKITTLES!

kpopanimefan713
· Posted August 11, 2013 @ 1:50 pm
The stranger pursued him. Plus the stranger followed him for no reason. Even after they told him not to follow him.
msfan
· Posted August 12, 2013 @ 1:52 pm
@kpopanimefan713 So what? Does that mean he deserved to be beaten? Of course not.
kpopanimefan713
· Posted August 16, 2013 @ 10:40 am
@msfan what?

mweew
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 1:48 am

erm, i personally don't think its something to worry about ; ;

moidiom
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 1:03 am

I blame all this on G-Dragon's ignorance. He's just an entertainer after all and I don't think Korea really teaches in school the sensitive cultural/historical issues in other countries. Korea really isn't a melting pot like the U.S. is. I think the expectation can be tamed a bit. This is not to say what G-Dragon did was acceptable, but I don't think he meant to offend or be malicious. Given the hoopla this ignorant act has created, I'm sure (I hope) he will be more thoughtful from now on.

moidiom
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 1:06 am
I meant to say that the YG explanation actually made the whole thing sound worse. Should've just said it was a facial mask.

chansimon100
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 12:09 am

But I dont think anyone outside of USA know who Trayvon Martin is! I wouldnt even know about this case if not for this controversy.

kpopper-4life
· Posted August 2, 2013 @ 11:47 pm

This was probably a moment where GD didn't think before he acted. I love him with all my heart since he is my ultimate bias, but I'll even admit that I think he was being a bit ignorant. Knowing him, he's not a racist at all and never intended for the picture to be taken so seriously, but most people are linking this towards the Trayvon Martin case. That case was REALLY controversial and supporters of Trayvon, as well as black people find this offensive. I just hope GD's controversy is cleared up soon!

chloe29
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 9:42 am
Really controversial?! I bet 10 bucks GD doesn't even know a single thing about it...UNTIL NOW. Black people find that offensive? How did you know? Have you heard it from your two ears from a black person? I bet black people who don't have insecurities with themselves wouldn't even find it offensive at all, and I bet 99% of people who will look at the picture will say "ohhh. He looks scary in that mud mask." Sigh. SMH '-_-
kpopper-4life
· Posted August 3, 2013 @ 11:46 am
@chloe29 The Trayvon Martin case was a huge controversial case, and there was a lot more controversy after the verdict was reached. As a matter of fact, my best friend who is black told me that black people found the picture offensive. She even told me that she doesn't personally think GD is racist, but it reminded black people of how others used to mock them back then. When I first saw this, Trayvon Martin didn't even come to my mind. I thought GD looked very scary, and since it's for his upcoming album, I'm really looking forward to it too. I can see why people would find this offensive, but I know GD didn't intend for it to be.