Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

Discussions
Posted by roseshavethornss 13 days ago

Small face measurements in Korea?

So, I came across a youtube video of the guys from Asian Boss measuring random womens faces off the street. It was to see if the women fitted into the Korean average face length. Now, where I get confused here, is that they appeared to be measuring the women from the top of their head, to their chin. Whereas, everywhere else online on videos, forums etc it says to measure the length of the face, you measure from hairline to chin. I measured my own face from hairline to chin after watching the video, and it was about 19cm. Like in the picture here of Go Ah Ra, they are measuring her from hairline to chin and it is also at 19cm. I measured a few friends and families faces hairline to chin, and they were all around the same measurements of 19-21cm. But when I measured my own head from top of the head to chin, and my friends/families from top of the head to chin like in the video, the measurement was MUCH larger than the 22.2cm like is suggested is the average in the video. So now im left wondering... Do I, my friends and family all just have ma-hooosive faces and heads? Or did these guys measure wrong and is the rest of the internet right by saying you measure hairline to chin to measure face size? His tape measures number 1 mark did seem to start lower than a normal tape measures would (can be seen if you pause the vid at 2.15). I thought maybe someone here would know, what is the correct way to measure face size in Korea? Also, what are your measurements from both hairline to chin, and then tip of your head to chin?

Thanks!

18 Share 0% Upvoted

Murderfucker 13 days ago 4
13 days ago

smaller face/head = smaller brain (so don't be obsessed with this thing)

Why in Korea many people (not all) think beautiful girls should have a small head/face - because youth is trend in Korea. When you are younger (kid) your head is smaller (proportionally to your body size). With this (youth) goes higher tone of voice (many Koreans are modulating the voice trying to sound much younger - see idols) and also so much known by everyone aegyo (acting to be sweet like kids).

roseshavethornss 13 days ago 3
13 days ago

hi, no I understand this. I just wondered which was the correct way to measure and thought this would be the place that people would know. Do you know which way is the correct measurement?

Murderfucker 13 days ago 2
13 days ago

Measuring only head is more appropriate when measure the size from the top of the head to the chin.

About measuring only faces -> you must know that some people are more hairy than others - different hairline (not counting hair loss or baldness) - so if we want to compare size of the faces - the right way is to measure from eyebrow to chin (or from a line drawn between the pupils of the eyes to chin)

But if we talk about real way of measure head -there is something called - cephalometric measure.

Here it's calculated by dividing the head circumference by high [B-v] and multiplying the result by 100:

very small head: x-29.9

small head: 30-31.9

middle head: 32-33.9

large head: 34-35.9

very large head: 36-x

The division into ranges by dr Michalsky

In art we have aesthetic canon (a canon of beauty) - a rule of proportion (Polykleitos, Lysippos, Vitruvius canon, Le Corbusier golden ratio):

Most popular proportions used in figure drawing are:

-> An average person is generally 7-and-a-half heads tall (including the head).

->An ideal figure, used when aiming for an impression of nobility or grace, is drawn at 8 heads tall.

-> A heroic figure, used in the heroic for the depiction of gods and superheroes, is eight-and-a-half heads tall. Most of the additional length comes from a bigger chest and longer legs.

Remember we talk about adult human not children - different body proportion

2 more replies

WNter 13 days ago 1
13 days ago

18 or 18.5 cm (just face). I never understood Asian obsession about "small faces" even though I'm half Asian myself.

roseshavethornss 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

Thank you. Would you mind telling me what you get when measuring top of head to chin also?

Jimun 5 days ago 0
5 days ago

I have 14 cm across and than 16 cm down for my face

miki96 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

Koreans make a bid deal out of it since they all have massive heads. I visited 2 years ago S.Korea and I was surprised how big and square shaped most of their heads are, even of the idols I've seen.

Gekikara48 12 days ago 2
12 days ago

I measured my face... 22cm ^^'

roseshavethornss 12 days ago 1
12 days ago

Hi thanks for the reply. Is your measurement of 22cm from hairline to chin? Or top of your head to chin?

Gekikara48 8 hours ago 0
8 hours ago

I measured from head to chin.

Donna_Dash 13 days ago 2
13 days ago

It's clear it said 19 cm on the pic. Seems like they lied to make her seem smaller. Doesn't make any sense tho her head is no where near 7 cm. I don't think anyone in this world would have that small of a face.

roseshavethornss 12 days ago 1
12 days ago

True. They tried to say it was 17cm.

Donna_Dash 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

Oh... I guessed I read wrong.

liljoel93 13 days ago 2
13 days ago

I measured my face before and it came out 17cm.

roseshavethornss 13 days ago 1
13 days ago

Was that from hairline to chin or top of your head to chin?

liljoel93 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

i measured from hairline to chin.

allkpop in your Inbox