Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

News
Posted by elliefilet AKP STAFF 18 days ago

MAMAMOO's Whee In responds to reports of father's fraud

MAMAMOO, Whee In
MAMAMOO's Whee In has responded to reports of fraud on the part of her father.

On November 27, a netizen online made a post online under the title, "My father passed away, and my family fell apart because of the father of a MAMAMOO member." According to the post, a MAMAMOO member's father operated a container, portable bathroom, and caravan company, and the poster's father worked as a freighter in charge of transporting cargo.

The poster expressed, "The container company was a major company when my father was alive, but because there was no trust between the companies, we wanted to avoid payment deferrals. He'd always brag that his daughter was part of the girl group MAMAMOO and reassure us that payments were coming. We believed him to an extent because his daughter was a famous celebrity and continued our business relationship. Then the payments kept getting deferred, and he would push it back by saying, 'I'll pay it back soon! The money will come in next week, and I'll pay you back right away.' With the purchase payments coming in later and later, the cargo drivers began putting pressure on us in their phone calls." They added their family fell apart after their father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, saying, "Even then, the payments were delayed. My father passed away almost three years ago, and the debt still has not been paid." Allegedly, the MAMAMOO member's father owes the poster's family 20 million Won ($17,703.90 USD), and their family had to use their father's life insurance to pay for legal costs.

MAMAMOO's agency RBW Entertainment has now responded with an official statement by Whee In, who stated:

"I grew up without my biological father's support. He paid no attention to our family and neglected his duties as head of the household. My family has always suffered from the unexpected debts he incurred. My parents divorced in 2012, but until some months ago, my mother had to live with the reputation of being a delinquent borrower. We've lived apart from my father since their divorce, but my mother and I have still had to deal with the damage he caused before. A few years ago when I had my last contact with my biological father, I asked him to try not to cause my mother and I more pain, and we should live separate lives. He's tried contacting me several times since, but I never picked up. I've had no form of exchange nor contact with him for many years. At present, I have no idea where he lives, what he does, or how his life is. Because of this situation, the accusations that arose have taken us very much aback. I'll confer with my family and work to resolve the situation as much as we can. I apologize to my MAMAMOO members and apologize to everyone for causing concern with this controversy."

Stay tuned for updates.

1. MAMAMOO
  2. Whee In
29 24,248 Share 87% Upvoted

Blue82 18 days ago 1
18 days ago

I get so tired of the mentality that if the parents did wrong the children should apologize and fix things. The parents are adults and responsible for themselves. She doesn't even have anything to do with her dead beat dad and yet here she is having to fix things otherwise knetz would tear her apart for being irresponsible.

lyricaldancer10 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

They are actually siding with her on this one. Surprisi

Queen_Sana 18 days ago 3
18 days ago

Okay so this is kind of trend or something now everyone parents are getting accused what the hell is wrong

one year it was dating scandals trend everyone started dating and now this whats cooking

walkertexasrange 18 days ago 2
18 days ago

Probably Korean government and media trying to distract the people by releasing these fraud scandals.

hiroonakamura 17 days ago 1
17 days ago

and how would they even know who got frauded by whose mother?

it's not like they are making these cases up, but rather these frauds have happened IRL

krell 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

(Trolling for Humor) ... Recalling here what CHOI SOON SIL (S.K corruption via S.K President friendship) did it for YEARS, on a GRAND SCALE. But, of course, the S.K Government has their 'eyes upon' WHEE-IN's FAMILY for their detection of 'corruption that matters' in S.KOREA ... LOLOLOLOL ... ;)

Soulbrother 18 days ago 0
18 days ago

She shouldn't have to explain all this bullshit and open her personal life like this. Netz need some bullets in their lives or other parts :D

kas7ia 18 days ago 0

It's not her fault

Secretninja312 18 days ago 1
18 days ago

so is this the new trend now? Targeting popular artists and entertainers parents and accusing them of fraud? Has the news been too calm lately or somthing? Anyways, what their parents do should have nothing to do with the artist, especially if said artist is an adult who’s finances and work is handled separately from the parents. In this case, Wheein’s father isn’t even in her life so what he does shouldn’t reflect on her as a person

jokbal_is_yum 17 days ago 0

ikr??
But it's a different culture with far, far different rules
(yet one more reason Doctrinaire Confucianism needs to go away).
>__<

eager_beaver 18 days ago 3
18 days ago

It's interesting how different translations can be. I happened to read a translation of Wheein's statement on another site before reading it here, and the differences are quite remarkable. The message in both translations is largely the same, but the word choices and the sentence structures are often different. However, there is one larger difference in content. On the other site it said:

"When I last contacted my father a few years ago, I asked him not to hurt my mother or me anymore, and I would have liked it if he moved back and lived with us, but after that, there has been no more contact with him."

But here on AKP the same sentence says:

"A few years ago when I had my last contact with my biological father, I asked him to try not to cause my mother and I more pain, and we should live separate lives. He's tried contacting me several times since, but I never picked up."

Tuni 17 days ago 2
17 days ago

I've read three different articles (including this one) and NONE OF THEM have a sentence where she asks him to go back to living with them so either the article you're talking about is lying/adding facts or you are.

eager_beaver 17 days ago 1
17 days ago

It's on Koreaboo, here. I didn't add the link in my comment because I don't know what policy AKP has on adding links to other sites, especially to those of K-pop content.

And I wonder what the odds are that a user would make up a quote like that. That someone like me would carefully change an actual quote to be slightly but significantly different, claim that it's from somewhere else, just state it in a dispassionate comment without making a big fuss about it with colourful emojis and GIFs, for the purpose of what, attention? I'm going to apply Occam's razor and assume that the simplest, most elegant answer is also the most likely one to be true, that is that I actually quoted that from a site instead of making it up.

Tuni 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

And since I don't know you and I haven't seen the article you were referring to either I just presented the only two possible explanations for this difference in translation. However I do apologize in case I offended you.

jeyjin 18 days ago 0
18 days ago

The don’t care about her. They just know that if they reveal this, she’ll be forced to pay the money back. This is the biggest con of being part of a collectivist society. Now Whee In through no fault of her own, has to pay for the consequences of her deadbeat dad

HaveSomeKookies (Banned) 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

Sad to see her apologizing for something beyond her control... I'm sure people will attack her regardless - and that's so wrong!

sugasugasuga 18 days ago 0
18 days ago

Leave Wheein alone! Why does people stir up drama every comeback and she is mostly the target? She expressively told that they don't have any contact anymore since 2012! Why does she have to be dragged in this!?????

u_chia4 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

This has nothing to do with Wheein so they need leave her alone. Attack the wrongdoer not their children. She did nothing wrong so why should she try to fix her fathers mistake. He wasn't even there for her in her life. It's the father's fraud case which has nothing to do with her. She didn't ask for him to be her father. She had no control over it.

pink_oracle 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

Why are people trying to get at artists through their deadbeat parents, no one has made money out of celebs through this tactic so whats the point.

Orbit413 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

I’m officially triggered! Ya! Leave Wheein alone and stop trying to cause her, her group, and her mom stress during the holidays and promotions! Why do people have to blame others for the actions of this negligent father who isn’t worth ish! They don’t even communicate with that man! 😡

oxymorac 18 days ago 0

#wheeinloveparty

krell 12 days ago 0
12 days ago

These close 'FAMILY MEMBER CORRUPTION' attacks, would appear to be the next strategy of TROLLS for trashing K-pop Music in general. It is a way to associate something NEGATIVE with certain K-pop Idols. I would suggest that this will KEEP happening, as these situations (Close Family Member Corruption) become known.

lunachick415 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

"At present, I have no idea where he lives, what he does, or how his life is." That's so real. Whee In's always been my bias, and I relate to her even more now. My mom and I are the same way she and her dad are. I haven't had contact with her since 2012, either. Sometimes you HAVE to completely sever ties, even with your own family, in order to get toxicity out of your life and gain some sense of peace and stability. Stay strong, Whee In.

greatnos (Banned) 13 days ago 0
13 days ago

Comment has been deleted

shyloone 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

When is this going to stop, if parents do wrong , they do wrong to their children aswell, their children dont have to pay jack for any wrong doings their parents do, If so then its time that this law was changed because its just plain cruel

kpop_foreverrr 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

ugh this makes me so fucking mad that she had to explain something really personal for the public

NORM 17 days ago 0
17 days ago

If my parent scammed you & i have had no communication/badblood with said-parent.

And you pull this online post crap cos you were dumb enough to give credit based on 'my child is famous/rich'.

You are getting zero money from me & probably getting sued for defamation if you keep it up -_-

cos this is the same bull Yenny had to suffer even tho it was public knowledge she wasnt close with him

I can understand Microdot's case but this aint it. (a bit, i still think its silly he lost his jobs for sth his parents did)

bakko23 18 days ago 0
18 days ago

guess this is the new #MeToo xD

dapharose (Banned) 18 days ago 0