Variety

7 hopefuls start the competitive process to join KARA on the first episode of 'KARA Project'

May 28, 2014 @ 1:36 am
by starsung
  • 11
  • 2
  • 150
  • 31087
  • 2089
DSP Media is formally introducing you to the seven trainee hopefuls who are competing to become a new member of KARA through the first episode of MBC Music's 'KARA Project'!

SEE ALSO: All 7 contestants of the 'KARA Project' come together in group posters

The seven contestants known as 'Baby KARA', including So Jin, Shi Yoon, Young Ji, Chae Kyung, So Min, Chae Won, and Yu Ji, tried their hands at dancing KARA's "Step" for the first episode. The talented hopefuls will compete in five missions and the new member will be decided by 30% experts' vote, 20% popularity vote, 20% performance rating vote, and 30% global popularity vote.

Who will end up becoming the new members of KARA? Find out through MBC Music's 'KARA Project' airing every Tuesday at 6 PM KST!

English subtitles are also available, so make sure to take a look below!

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 153 comments

Sort by:

soofany_x
· Posted June 2, 2014 @ 9:43 am

Sojin and Somin are those who I want to join since their introduction video.

hana_ljh
· Posted June 9, 2014 @ 10:26 am
I am totally agree with you. Their image really suits kara! Sojin has a sexy image & her age is good for kara & Somin, it's like she is the second Hara! after I watched Kara Project I changed my mind. I like Sojin & Somin join kara. Young ji & Chae Kyung aren't bad too but chae won & Yuji doesn't suit kara at all bcuz they have a cute & young image.

krevice
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

SOjin and SOmin ... are only ... (drum roll) ... SO-SO! ... (Haw! Haw!)

krevice
· Posted May 30, 2014 @ 10:43 pm
The TV Show is interesting; looking forward to the next episode.

taylena
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 11:08 am

Sojin really has it all, the looks, the dance, voice & energy. She'd be the best pick plus she would also be closest to them in age.  Somin is great too but she looks like Hara (sounds & kind of has the same demeanor) way too much, so she has to be a NO!!! Still waiting to see more from Yuiji & Younji, but they were alright too. All I want is that Gyuri, Seungyeon & Hara to be apart of the picking. Gyuri, Seungyeon & Nicole were the ones to pick Hara and Jiyoung and that worked out great :) So the girls have to be part of the process too!

turtlelags
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 4:30 pm
I agree 100%. I would like to add that my bias right now is chaekyung for pretty much the same reasons you like sojin. Another reason is I think she would fit the cute and sexy concept of kara quite well. I can see sojin, chaekyung, gyuri, seungyeon, and nicole together. For sojin, she is fits the kara image no doubt. She just needs to not be so nervous.
krevice
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 7:17 pm
@turtlelags ... Seungyeon, and *GOO HARA together ... (typo fix?)
turtlelags
· Posted May 30, 2014 @ 12:38 am
@krevice Oops, yah I meant goo hara, not nicole. Guess I miss nicole a lil too much hahaha xD

heehanna
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 4:52 am
Kara need yuji's rap
turtlelags
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 4:31 pm
Totally agree! Kara is known for pulling off both cute and sexy at the same time though. I dunno if yuji can pull off the sexy part, but I do like her :D

heehanna
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 4:51 am
I like somin and yuji!

leduc
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 12:14 am

I think there is still much improvement needed between the girls however there is talent within each. I have to say at first through teasers I liked Young Ji but I think I like Chae won. I hope to see Young ji in the next episode more though! I still wish they would form one group because after seeing this, I think they would all match well with each other, but good luck to the 2 joining Kara!!

hana_ljh
· Posted June 9, 2014 @ 10:32 am
Only 2 joining kara?

karaboy97
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

I'm having mixed feelings about this.. on one side, if they get 2 more members who have good vocals, it will definitely help the songs that they produce, but on the other hand, I'm afraid that too powerful a vocal will disrupt the 'Kara' feel. In the old Kara, they may not individually have very strong vocals, but when combined together they are a killer formula. I'm just afraid that the new vocals may overpower the Kara feel...

krevice
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 7:20 pm
Or maybe, create something 'new and different' for KARA that is exciting.
krevice
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 7:23 pm
Myself, I rather like with 4minute, the 'interplay' of the '2YOON' two good vocalists. Something like that for KARA might be interesting.

sunfei
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 10:17 pm

, if they really want to hired a new members,make sure they must be good in dancing and also vocally,we already know kara only had seungyoon for a good vocal,they need more, so uses this chances wisely,just my opinion..

Maggie
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 9:16 pm

None of them are good-looking or talented enough to add to KARA's charm. It's not fair to the current KARA members.

Littlepony
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 10:29 pm
Yes, agree. i feel very sorry to KARA current member.. but I come to change my mind when i take a look at this video project, I kinda feel sorry for these 7 girls too.. They all have great talent and i think it doesn't fair if we don't give them a chance to debut as 'Baby KARA' Maybe just give them a try.. Oh DSP doesnmt know how really hate I feel for them.. KARA FIGHTING! Baby KARA fighting!
turtlelags
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 4:03 pm
I don't think that's true. Chaekyung and sojin are drop dead gorgeous, while yuji and shiyoon are super cute. They all sung and danced amazingly in this first episode, so my worries are put to rest. I think Kara needs to be a 5 person group because Kara is known for mixing and matching multiple talents in both a cute and sexy way. Personally, I think chaekyung and sojin compliment the remaining 3 Kara members all around, but I think it would be cool for yuji to be in Kara for her rapping prowess (plus, she has proven herself as a singer in kpopstar2). I have been a diehard Kara fan for 5 years and I have confidence that the company and fans will vote the two best candidates.
turtlelags
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 4:21 pm
But yah, it is not that I disagree with you. I understand where you and many others are coming from. As difficult as it is to see Nicole go, I don't think Kara can last very long as a 3-member group. Most of the successful girl groups I know need at least 4-5 members (i.e. 2ne1, F(x), Girl's Day, Girl's Generation). Now, I am not saying that all the candidates here will fit Kara because some don't fit Kara's image at all. It is just that a few of them like chaekyung stand out and I can see them working with Goo Hara and the others. I clicked "like" on your comment. I would love to discuss this more with you if you'd like.
krevice
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 7:26 pm
@turtlelags ... KARA3 = PIG with NO WINGS! ;-)

wanker
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 8:41 pm
hmm, this seems very familiar... (yg who is next)
josieee
· Posted June 2, 2014 @ 5:43 am
I agree

ot94ever
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 8:37 pm

YES! English subs! Thank the gods! I was afraid I'd have to wait for 6 months for some fansubs, lol!

daekawan
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 7:28 pm
I think they would be better if the together...

snsd2pm43
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 7:17 pm

what happen to youngji leg? anyone knoe

snsd2pm43
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 7:04 pm

i like sojin, she's really pretty. she has this image like an idol. Please i hope she will be apart of Kara

babyblackjack
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

They would make a great group together~

makotokarasuma
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 6:28 pm

Chae Kyung and So Min got the voice, look and dancing ability so far.. Chae Kyung is too charming to hate.. Sojin is prettier when close-up.. So Min got the star quality.. i feel bad for these girls.. they are receiving a lotta hate because of this project.. thanks to DSP..

krevice
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 7:29 pm
I think that the resulting KARA-new5 will be *far better* than KARA3 could ever be. And I think that KAMILIAS and true fans of KARA3 will quickly realize this once the final selections are made.

anna34
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 5:08 pm

Wow, if it's subbed and everything I'll be checking it out~

thatkpopgirl
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

i just finished watching it and enjoyed it. i deffo think the girls would be better off as a team. they have quite a group there and all the different personalities would make them stand out. you have the shy, cute and sexy members. and it's not forced but natural. either way i found it heartbreaking. they all seem close so it will be hard to see them have to face off against each other. i think people are being too harsh. two members chose to leave kara, so why not give a chance to let someone join who really wants too. fighting girls!!

krevice
· Posted May 29, 2014 @ 7:32 pm
I 'deffo' think that KARA needs 5 members to function effectively. And 2 of those members *will* be chosen from these 7 candidates. Time to 'GO WITH FLOW OF THE SHOW! ;-)

vip_girl
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 3:35 pm

another WIN: WHO IS NEXT

just debut them as another grp

artemisa
· Posted May 28, 2014 @ 3:21 pm

Chae Kyung is my favourite now. Young Ji & So Min are good too. So Jin is good too but she seems too mature for Kara.