Upvote if you think more people should see this post!

News
Posted by KayRosa AKP STAFF 16 days ago

FOX's 'The Masked Singer' records highest viewer rating for a variety program in 7 years

The American remake of MBC's 'Mask King' has set a new record with viewer ratings.

According to 'E-Daily', FOX's 'The Masked Singer', premiered on January 3rd, reached a viewer rating of 3.0% with about 9.4 million viewers tuning into the episode. This record is known as the highest number for a variety program  since 'The X Factor', which aired seven years ago on the same channel.

Furthermore, 'The Masked Singer' has been proven to be the most popular for viewers between the ages of 18 and 49, the most favorable demographic for advertisers.

Park Hyun Ho, the chief director of MBC's Content Business, commented that "the success of this American remake is only the beginning." He announced that the format has already been sold to more than 20 countries, including France and the United Kingdom. "Soon, there will be 'Mask King' remakes all over the world," said Park.

1. misc.
  2. FOX
  3. THE MASKED SINGER
40 40,616 Share 55% Upvoted

esbabe 16 days ago 3
16 days ago

american version wasn't good..at..all.

Just extremely showy, and changed it up so only one contestant gets eliminated.

It was just meh, not as entertaining as I hoped it would be. And whyyy give so many clues of who they are? It takes away from the mystery in my opinion.

Peace0825 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

Well, sometimes changes need to be made in order to reach their targeted audience. Just think about it, if Big Brother was to be remade in Korea, would it go well if they keep the original format with all the scandals, participants sleeping around with different people almost every other day, physical fights, snitching, talking sh*t about other participants behind their back on TV? Nope! The format that FOX decided to follow has already brought high rating and much anticipation for the next eps already. It already created a buzz. People are already trying to guess who the contestants are, even some radio stations and their hosts are talking about it, even trying to guess.

KimAC 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

I agree. I think it doesn't translate from the Korean Version at all. I actually fell asleep part way through. The costumes may be better, but the quality wasn't so good. I don't like the fact that only one contestant had to take off the mask. I will watch the next episode to see but I doubt I will watch more. I think this is because of the difference in USA shows. They have limited episodes. they have to make the show for one season. One season for the USA is not the same. Add to that, I am not familiar with music unless it is from the 80's or 90's and I don't follow sports.

hiroonakamura 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

some of the stars are too big to have on the show just once. They will command too big a fee for that. It's not like in Korea where the stars get paid way too little to guest star on variety shows.

Also - in Korea, you have celebs who know most other celebs . But in the US there are way too many artists for that. If you kept switching out contestants as quickly as in the korean version then the panel would have no idea after a while on who to guess

whatever101 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

ok but the voices tho.....like whenever i hear Masked Singer songs i get chills down my spine but the majority of the voices were pretty mediocre which speaking of which I didn't realize we would be getting non singers as well

hiroonakamura 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

Sadly this show seems to have been widely disliked in the US. This is what Variety said: "the show’s far more boring than it has any right to be"

TVLine's viewers gave it a C+.

Other media called it crazy and silly.

hiroonakamura 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

it is NOT a variety show though. They call it "unscripted" show. Mask King was the highest rated unscripted premiere in 7 years. It also increased ratings with 1 million viewers in the 2nd half. Good!

thealigirl8 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

i liked it :) i'm curious about next week's contestants

9AF 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

It was ok. There was a lot of filler so they could stretch it out to an hour, plus more advertisements. I did like the clues parts but I still didn't get it right.

Exo_Leia 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

I think they did well in a remake that fit American audience's. I'm looking forward to next week's episode

wonderboy47 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

I love the show. I love the guessing and how flashy and extravagant they've made the costumes. If they get some big celebrities the show will do really well.

mipcy 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

I wish we get new contestants every two weeks but oh well.

Mich_le 16 days ago 2
16 days ago

i just need to know who the lion is and if they are gonna release the lion verson of Californa Dream

Secretninja312 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

I heard people were saying it’s Rumer Willis since she 1. Has a lion tattoo 2. Her father is Bruce Willis and can be considered Hollywood royalty 3. She said where she’s from, there’s a lot of girls and Rumer has 4 sisters. And I hope they release the Lion version of California Dream it was so good

ladydahlia629 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

I want to know as well because Lion is so far my favorite singer from the first six contestants. But my guess that Lion is probably Rumer Willis (since she fits the clues well), but I may be wrong on this on.

nnani 16 days ago 16
16 days ago

Still disappointed that people needed to remake someone else's idea. Idc if the originals and creators allowed it and sold (gave the approval) it to someone, it's still shitty. The King of Masked Singer is such an amazing original show and naturally someone has to copy. People are going to shit on the Korean and be like "oH mY gOD thIS ShOW iS sO gOoD" how about you try watching where it originated from rather than bandwagoning. It's so sad. It's the same thing with movies, no one can think of anything original anymore, it's remake after remake or sequel after 40 years (exaggeration). It's 2019 (would have said 2018 since 2019 is still too early but-) come up with something new :/

crowboy 16 days ago 9
16 days ago

i completely disagree. what you're saying kind of reminds me of when someone covers a song and then people comment shit like "you ruined the song" or whatever. uh, no. the original still exists. the remake doesn't take ANYTHING away from the original. a lot of the people who are watching the original won't watch the remake and a lot of people who are watching the remake will never watch the original. not everything needs to be new. remakes OF ANYTHING still take A LOT of damn work. even with variety shows like King of Masked SInger everyone behind the production has to ensure that they change shit around because the audience (i.e. the audiences ideals, societal norms, etc.) has completely changed. it's not a literal copy and nor should it be. and so what if people like the remake more than the original? so what if people like the original more than the remake?

and if people are shitting on ANY race... they're just shit people in general. what does that have to do with the release of a show at all?

nnani 16 days ago 8
16 days ago

lol a song cover and a tv show are two different things. Also as you said "people who watch the remake won't watch the original" which is COMPLETELY WRONG. It does take A LOT away from the original, someone is getting more views and yes things DO NEED to be new. As said it's 2019 remakes, reboots and bringing back needs to stop, it's completely unnecessary. People do need to come up with something new and original ideas, especially with movies.

You basically had no point, you morphed 3 different things into one giant message. You also missed the point.
(Race has nothing to do with this either so idk where you're trying to lead because it looks like you kind of support laziness and lack of imagination. "Let me copy your homework, sure but change it up a bit" isn't a good thing.)

8 more replies

my_l 16 days ago 2
16 days ago

Korea has done the same thing in copying. Where do you think SNL Korea comes from or The Voice of Korea? They copied. What do you think Kpop is? A big fat COPY of US music genres. Nothing about Kpop is Korean except for the language.

2 more replies

hiroonakamura 16 days ago 2
16 days ago

why would people in the US watch the Korean show? They have no idea who the contestants are. What a ludicrous idea from you.

2 more replies

-33

Stopudelulu 16 days ago 7
16 days ago

say thank you bts for promoting the show

Secretninja312 16 days ago 1
16 days ago

As shocking as it may be, BTS does not rule the world and control everything in it. Yes they did do a shout out video the day it was airing along with Winner and Wanna One but it highly doubt that’s the reason it rated high. Fox has been promoting this american version for months now and if there’s one thing the general American audience tend to like in a reality type of show, it’s a singing competition. This type of compeition is new to American TV so of course it’s going to draw curiosity from people, making them tune in.

Cutie888 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

I wouldn’t take this user seriously, he or she is a known troll on here

mayakorea 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

No! Just No !! If you're gonna thank someone start with BoA, Wonder Girls, Big Bang, 2NE1 ....

sarahbalire 16 days ago 0
16 days ago

Its not because of bts lmaooo. The world does not revolve around them. The show was already going to be good

4 more replies