Variety

'Mamma Mia' says the show won't be canceled, but rather go through a format change

August 14, 2013 @ 12:43 am
by serendipity
  • 0
  • 0
  • 49
  • 17207
  • 349
After the reports regarding the cancellation of 'Mamma Mia' started making its way around, the production team has stepped up to deny the reports and reveal that there was perhaps a misunderstanding leading to miscommunication.

A rep commented, "It's not true that 'Mamma Mia' is on the chopping block. We are just planning to implement a new format, but it seems the message was misunderstood in the process of being delivered."

So fans of the show, it seems you can let out a breath of relief for now!

However, it seems like we might still have to wait for the passing of Chuseok to be completely sure, as it is often the case that reports like these are denied at first, only to be confirmed later on.

SEE ALSO: SBS announces tie-in episodes for variety shows with the 2014 Asian Games

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 49 comments

Sort by:

Namirin
· Posted September 24, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

​" Mamma mia " has an interesting concept.

At first, I found it interesting to see entertainment people and their mothers.

Episodes with the same pairings while they are outside doing something are not interesting for me thou... I only tend to watch when it is in the studio with guests and their mothers, filled with funny and interesting moments.

More so called "special " themed episodes would be good aswell...

chub-chub
· Posted August 15, 2013 @ 1:17 am

at first it was interesting and funny and i enjoy the whole in studio interaction

it was fun

but then they started to go out and then it started becoming a process of finding that announcer gal her hubby and revolves around that

and then everything went downhill...

sighs....

and now we barely sees new people

but the same people over and over again

bleh...

icyicy
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 10:49 pm

I really love Mamma Mia but I have to say that the recent episodes were a little disappointing. I think it will be more interesting if the stars and their mothers stay at the studio to share their stories, play quizzes and have interaction with one another. In my opinion, going out on trip separately or filming separately at one's home will not be as funny and exciting as that. I hope they keep it more like the first episodes (at the studio). And more new guests every week if possible.

amarei
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

Thank you! I really love this show so I was sad to hear that it was being cancelled last time.

-kwinters
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

I love the show but the recent episodes have been so disappointing... I wish they would focus more on their guests than their regulars.

kitty984
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

I love the show!

qwerty321
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 11:39 am

yayy i like Mamma Mia

z_eternity88
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Really fun to watch the show. Want to see more Youngja-Kyuhyun-Misun interaction

o-o
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 9:03 am

happy ^^ but not sure if i can be happy already, we know how it works generally...

atlkpopfan
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 8:46 am

It wouldn't be the first time a network cancelled a show without telling the staff of the show.

doodyahmed014
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 8:26 am

I hope they don't cancel it i love watching it on Kbs World

aznjen96
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 8:11 am

Yay! No Cancellation...hopefully! Personally, i love Kyuhyun and i hope he stays, that was the original reason on why i started watching, but then i actually started liking the show, however, the last 3 episodes on Mamma Mia on KBS World was iffy, like they were not that good, kinda boring, since the MCs were hardly there! I think they should go back to a stuido or atleast have more interations as a group. Also, it might be nice to have like that set panel of mothers and daughters/sons like Younghui, and the oldest mother and her daughter, but along with that they should have different guest appear like every week or something, like have an episode with Super Junior and their mothers, have another episode with SHINee and their mothers, another with SNSD and their mothers etc. That would be nice, like a one day guest thing, kinda like Radio Star or Weekly idol or the new Strong Heart, how their are different guests. But yea i think Mamma Mia would be more interesting that way. Also It would be Reallly nice for a Super Junior Mamma Mia special, just one of my requests xP!!

Namirin
· Posted September 24, 2013 @ 1:33 pm
You mean like : " shinee special ", "snsd special " , etc. (where all the members appear with their moms or most of the members)? That would probably boost the viewer ratings aswell. And since there are so many idol groups out there, it wouldn't be a short-lived idea... Once in a while, such episodes would really be interesting.
aznjen96
· Posted September 24, 2013 @ 6:41 pm
@Namirin Yea. I know they did the idol special, but i mean i kinda hope they do more of those.

myreflections
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 7:27 am

A super junior mamma mia will sure make the fans happy.

It would be nice seeing new mothers on the show. I personally like the Yeongja Kyuhyun interactions :D

princessglory
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 7:02 am

I love "Mamma Mia". It's good that it won't be canceled but I hope they don't change the format completely. As much as I love the show I agree with some of the comments that say the last few episodes were somewhat boring. However, I want to see what the change would be and, please, don't remove Kyuhyun...

forevereve
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 5:39 am

Even though I love the show I have to say lats few episodes are kinda boring. I loved the first episodes so much. Guests on the show, talking about various things and everything was really funny and enjoyable. But last like three episodes were pretty boring. Only those three mothers and daughters are staying in there (and bring like one extra) and it is not so enjoyable anymore. I am curious about the change of this show (I bet it won't be back to its original self).

bluespirit
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:39 am

I do agree that it would be more fun if we got to see more different celebs not the same ones every time. But I really disagree with the people saying they should replace Kyuhyun. I do think he is funny perhaps it's just they sometimes put people that he can't really tease, which is kinda his trademark. In my opinion the funniest episode was the sons over flowers special basicly because of his bickering with Seo In Guk (And Seo In Guk's shocking discovery of why his parents got married lol).

kitkate91
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:34 am

By changing format you mean changing it to appa oddiga? or Omma Oddiga?"

ikpoplolz
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:25 am

phew!! ...for now O_o

sjkyutie
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:04 am

No. ..!! I love this variety show after Kyuhyun being one of the MC.He has a good chemistry with the two other MCs,too. I know they've been changing format lately, and it's a way better than when the had their first episode. Please just change the format but don't turn down the show. I hope KBS won't turn down "2D1N" just because a new program. The Sunday wouldn't be perfect anymore TT TT

lee-myeol-chi
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 3:56 am

to all those said that i hope they replace kyuhyun and so on : knetizen love kyuhyun, viewers love kyuhyun so i doubt that they will replace him anytime soon , so sad for you :)