Current Events

Destroying objects in the 'Rage Room' is attracting young people in Seoul

By KpopJoA   19 days ago   12,216   117   27
buzz

Feeling stressed out and overwhelmed by life these days? If you're in Seoul then you're in luck as 'Seoul Rage Room' just popped up. This 'Rage Room' is gaining popularity among young people in their 20s, looking to relieve their pressures and stress.

SEE ALSO: Woman severely injures two people by plunging through a glass wall of a hospital with her car

The 'Rage Room' is a room filled with various props one can use to destroy while wearing protection gear such as a hard-hat helmet, safety goggles, and ear muffs.  Some props include old CRT TV's, rice cookers, printers, dishes, and more where people can smash these objects using a metal baseball bat in addition to punching the heck out of mannequin dummies.

Depending on one's stress/rage level, the cost can range between $20-$150.

For a total of 15 minutes, one can enter the room and hit and scream all they want to their heart's desire.

While some agree that it is a helpful tool, others have deemed it too violent of an approach and wasting away goods.

According to a Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service Center on June 8, approximately 2,859 patients between the ages of 20-30 years old have been consulted for 'hwabyung' a Korean somatization disorder, a psychological illness where one is unable to deal with his/her level of rage due to exterior forces.

The illness seems to be on the rise as the number has increased by 53% compared to 1,867 patients back in 2011, causing much concern within the community.

Netizens who watched the clip commented, "I want to go sometime," "It's a bit on the expensive side but it definitely seems worth it," showing much interest.

What do you think about this method and would you pay to destroy things in a rage room?

1. Buzz
    2. misc

eager_beaver 16 days ago

I'm willing to donate a car for this. It'll be my neighbour's car, but just donating it and knowing that it's put to good use will greatly relieve my stress.

Winston 18 days ago

I remember some countries also have a pub where they have a small section to allow you to throw or smash plates at a "target" like you can put your boss photo on the wall and you just smash your plates or cups at him on the wall. to relieve the anger and frustrations, some people who tried it sad it was very de-stressing to let it out at your boss after a hard day at work. lol.

sidhe 18 days ago

At first I thought this was an interesting concept then I realized it was a bad idea. Do yoga, figure out what is stressing you out and take care of it in a manner that doesn't resort to violence. Though, there are days I wish I owned a punching bag but I usually just talk about my frustrations and stress with a friend and that is what helps me.

Winston sidhe 18 days ago

I think the methods vary on the effectiveness because of the difference in personalities of people, some people can de-stress over a good chat with good company, and maybe a good beer, or coffee if you are a non drinker. but some people like to sweat it out in a workout, like playing squash and or like those Kdrama, going to a baseball batting ground and SWINGING your bat at incoming baseballs.

charlie_d 19 days ago

Well, Koreans are kind of violent, so I think it suits them. They better transfer their violence to inanimate objects than animals or people.

bokkeumbap charlie_d 19 days ago

better not get used to it or start to do it to their spouse and kids

k_kid charlie_d 19 days ago

"Koreans are kind of violent, so I think it suits them." Way to generalize. I guess black people would fit these types of things the best since they're known to be the most aggressive people right?

BigBangVIP_NYC k_kid 19 days ago

Actually black people don't need these types of things because we don't bottle up our shit...we let it out. So because we don't bottle up our shit non black people call it "aggression." They say we are aggressive or angry.

k_kid BigBangVIP_NYC 18 days ago

I know, I'm just being sarcastic to OP. People are supposed to be judged as individuals not as a group as OP does.

charlie_d k_kid 18 days ago

Well, I'm very aware I'm kinda of generalizing. I just talk based on some things I've watched from korean tv, and doramas and they are always hitting men and woman and they say "do you want to dieeee"? That's a bit violent to me. I'm not saying every citizen is hitting everything that moves. So don't read what I write so literal.

charlie_d k_kid 18 days ago

And yes, I totally agree we have to "judge" people as individuals, but people from a country do share general cultural characteristic, whether you like it or not.

k_kid charlie_d 18 days ago

"CULTURAL characteristics." Emotion is not an aspect of culture. Dramas are not real life. If you're basing Koreans on dramas, you might as well say that they're the most romantic people on Earth as well. It's not an attribute of Koreans to hit one another and give threats.

charlie_d k_kid 17 days ago

I'm not saying it's real life but it's based on real life. Anyways, let's just see if this is successful on Korea, let's see the results :P

annabts 19 days ago

are we really in need of translating stress into violence? with all that is going in the world, are we going to promote and advertise sugar-coated violence? if you're under stress you need to resort to meditation, relaxation techniques, and other ways that help you discharge negative energy in a safe way. you definitely shouldn't be deriving pleasure from violence.

Suuziiee annabts 18 days ago

Or maybe these people have tried all of that and none of it worked so they are resorting to this method.

annabts Suuziiee 18 days ago

you get counselling if your stress-level is that high. you don't go around breaking stuff and acting violently

Suuziiee annabts 18 days ago

Obviously the treatments they were given were given by a counsellor but they just didn't work out.

sarang_heyooo annabts 18 days ago

lmao this facility was built specifically for that purpose. Stress relief varies from person to person and for some people, it helps. Also, counseling costs lots of money or a significant period of time with people often quitting because they don't see results. A one time payment to get fairly quick results is better for some people

annabts sarang_heyooo 18 days ago

you see the problem with this type of establishment is that it encourages violence and says: "violence can help you feel better about yourself". so when people see this, and are then convinced that it's okay to be violent, they might start incorporating violence into their everyday life. and this is how you get individuals such as the members of ISIS, who can ruthlessly commit crimes, without blinking an eye. some people are able to pay for this rage room, but what do people do when they can't afford to spend 25 bucks for these 15 minutes of rage? they take it to the streets.

sarang_heyooo annabts 15 days ago

As someone who's studying human development and psychology I am telling you that you are wrong. Having a healthy outlet for stress leads to less volatile behavior in everyday situations. You get people like ISIS from people who don't fully understand the philosophy they're following and take the bits in whatever book it is they're reading, at face value. People who can't pay for rage rooms pay for other smaller trinkets. Stress balls, meditation (which is free), they go to a park, people scream into pillows, get gym memberships (which are around $10) to beat up a punching bag, etc. The amount of violent people like ISIS in the world is not that insurmountably high, it's just the sort of behavior that gets lots of attention from the world

k_pop_insider 19 days ago

"korean rage"

Whoooo 19 days ago

Could use those when im studying for my exams

bokkeumbap 19 days ago

Way to promote violence

edurance 19 days ago

shirotoki 19 days ago

I could use one of these rooms right now

forever