Variety

Minzy talks about how she missed out on her school life due to training at a young age

By yckim124   24 days ago   98,870   2,880   32
Minzy

Minzy shared about how she had to give up school life for her dreams to become a singer.

SEE ALSO: Minzy and Jeon So Mi share how music video filming is extremely tiring

On the May 5 broadcast of 'Unnies' Slam Dunk 2', Minzy revealed, "I've often wanted to play with my friends, run around the field and go out for food with them." However, Minzy explained that she had to head straight to the practice room after 4th period. She also revealed that she has never been on a field trip.

For Minzy who doesn't have many memories in school, the unnies decided to turn into school girls in cute uniforms and take a field trip together.

1. Minzy
    2. unnies-slam-dunk-2

1llionaire 23 days ago

talk about #firstworldproblems i'd trade away my school life memories if it meant i become rich.

BigBlueagain 23 days ago

Something BoA said applies here. She said that while she didn't get to do things other kids her age did, she got to do a lot of things they didn't and never would. It's a trade off. She views what she got as being much more valuable to her than what she lost. I think Minzy should kinda step back and do the same. I like how they did this for her, but what she got from her debut is so much more than what she lost.

kpoplolita BigBlueagain 23 days ago

boA: 4ever answering Qs like a bawss

kpoplolita BigBlueagain 23 days ago

i agree what she got from debuting, having supportive group members despite age gap, bonding with other coworkers and gaining streetsmarts & life experience + spreading your talent worldwide gaining new fans, its amazing, school sucks anyway bt still a useful tool in life.

Mystica 24 days ago

What is so good about playing in the fields? Huh? She was 16 not 6 .. At least she has done something good in her life, also she agreed on training and becoming an idol .. I am sick of hearing about them complaining and take the victim role because of these things that has been chosen by them, not were forced on them.

atlkpopfan Mystica 24 days ago

They are not robots. They are humans. Sharing that you wish you had some of the same experiences other people have had doesn't mean you think you're a victim. Did she say "I wish I'd never debuted!" Do you never hear about some things other people have done and wish you'd done them to? I don't understand why people get upset about this.

zelo19 24 days ago

Ok but you made that choice

southclubstan 24 days ago

Well 2ne1 had hiatus in 2015 for her to finish her uni but she left yg saying that they didn't promote her

i_belong_to_yg southclubstan 24 days ago

That was apparently not true. YG never made any arrangements because of artist's individual situations.... Minzy went to school because she was fed up with it.

kpoplolita i_belong_to_yg 23 days ago

"fed up with it?" the hiatus? Dude u guys are both wrong, minzy was in 1st yr of UNI, BEFORE BOMS SCANDAL.... they appeared on yooheols sketchbook talking about her uni life. check again pls. Also yes YGE does consider the person before they can offer a solo. I understand why YG didnt just 'give' minzy a solo aside from sports CF deals which she nailed. ye minzy slayed INTERNATIONALLY, but her domestic sales were just terrible for a soloist who was already v well known. u can be the whole package but like i said many times before, LUCK needs to be on ur side too.

kpoplolita southclubstan 23 days ago

incorrect. pls read above ^

YG_STAN_FOREVER 24 days ago

I'm sorry but I'm going to be honest and harsh here,I feel like these days she's only talking about her bad memories with YG, like come on girl be more positive and just know that you're not the only one who missed out on school , it's almost the case with every idol out there , I like her as an artist but I will really appreciated and all of us YG fans if she talks about her good memories too, it really hurts when i see  her saying things like that just after leaving the company. YG FAMILY FOREEEEVEER.

melenay YG_STAN_FOREVER 24 days ago

She does that too but Allkpop only post those bad memories...

i_belong_to_yg YG_STAN_FOREVER 24 days ago

and she really do say good things all the time. Honestly, in every Sisters slumdunk episode I have watched, and in every of her solo interviews, she is always talking about the great experience she had in YG and her relationships with YG artists.... fyi, she is the one who said "YG made Minzy!" on one of the interviews the other day so I dont know why you have not seen that...

tranghoang97 YG_STAN_FOREVER 24 days ago

This is not a bad experience about YG. Minzy is talking about the down-side of training at such early age and she gave up a normal life for her idol career. I think you just miss the point.

pink_oracle YG_STAN_FOREVER 24 days ago

Good memories don't make good headlines I'm afraid. People click on drama.

atravista YG_STAN_FOREVER 24 days ago

lol keep kissing YG ass

atlkpopfan YG_STAN_FOREVER 24 days ago

I've never heard her talking about bad memories. Saying you missed field trips because you had to practice is a story most young idols will face. It has nothing to do with YG being bad or good. And everything I've heard her say about the actual company has been positive. You say these days she's only talking about bad memories which implies that you've actually heard her bad mouthing YG somewhere. When did that happen?

kpoplolita YG_STAN_FOREVER 23 days ago

i have to agreee with the rest above, she not saying "omg thanks to yg i didnt have a childhood" its more like "in order to pursue my dreams the road i took on myself, i had to sacrifice my childhood/school life." big difference. Yeha im not gonna ignore the subtle shading musicworks was doing more on minzys behalf and minzy being MIA on commenting anything about 2ne1 till the v last min BUUUUT fuck it, its been over a yr... time for us to gt over it & all the other 2ne1 members still wish her well and supported her on sns (even though they dont HAVE to prove anything to us). They dont have to hang out, they were a big part of ech others' lives and she has to promote herself so its not liek she can avoid 2ne1 questions/her past.

MidnightKpop 24 days ago

Minzy, this is like the grass is greener on the other side scenario.  School life is not what it cut out to be either.  Stress of exams, homework, social issues especially if you are not part of the in crowd etc etc.   The brain has a way softening and filtering the bad parts and make it seems better than it really was.  On that note, maybe Somi can take note of Minzy's experiences and trying experiencing as much of the normal school life as she could and not try so hard to debut in a girl group so soon.  I know it's hard when your best friend is in Twice and you were so so close to being in the group also.

lye54 24 days ago

Minzy. I like you girl but this is not a big deal. You missed out on your school life to become a pop star. Some kids missed out on school life because they had/have life threatening diseases. Be happy with what you have and don't make it a big deal. There is always less fortunate than you.

i_belong_to_yg lye54 24 days ago

to be fare, that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. why does she has to compare herself with "the less fortunate" than with herself? she is basically saying how she sacrifiesed school because of music and she is not complaining per se. that is just the reality. and she has always said how much she loved school and she even went back to school.... but just like all of us real people out here, she thinks she missed out from something she truly loves and she is just pointing that out.... why does that bother you?

lye54 i_belong_to_yg 24 days ago

Why would this be lame? There are always people who are less fortunate than you. You know what is the lamest excuse is people like you who think they are entitled to everything. The reality is that she missed school to be a kpop star. Quite frankly who can understand her at this point when people are struggling with other things in life. Your personality shows ungratefulness to a point where you will accept anything an Idol will do or say because you worship them so much. Sorry you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine and I think her excuse is a joke.

i_belong_to_yg lye54 24 days ago

first of all, do not make stupid assumptions. I do not worship any artist, and I do not worship anything to begin with. so lets start from that. second, this is not about anyone understanding Minzy, this is about her expressing her thoughts and frustrations, and it is up to the audience to understand her frustration or not. but that does not means she shoudlnt say what is in her mind. third, I think you are one of those people that wants all the attention just because people are way better than you. so if that is the case, it will be really hard for me to expain to you why Minzy shouldnt compare herself with "the less fortunate" because, at the end of the day, we are all fighting our own wars. we all have higher places to reach. we all have regrets. we all have stresses and failures and success.... but none of this should be compared with those who are well off than us or those less off than us. forth, what "gratefulness" are you even talking about? should Minzy be grateful because she missed school to be an artists or what? I did not understand.... and no, I do not take everything an artist says, but I know for a fact that Minzy, just like other artists, have struggled to keep up with her education, and as someone who have spent 99% of my life in academics, I can not tell you enough how much I can understand what she really missed out.

lye54 i_belong_to_yg 23 days ago

I stopped reading your comment when you said i need attention. Well for someone who is not obsessed with idols your username says it all. You are def a YG fan. First of all let start with I don't give two crap about your freaking attention. Second of all you should be listening to your own advice about let's not make assumption. You don't know anything about my life so bitch please. Third everybody is entitled to their opinion and I gave mine like she has every right to express her frustration. However her frustration cannot be taking seriously when you know that those sacrifices were for her own fame. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who is pursuing her dreams vs people who are fighting for their life or livelihood. So please go back and read your comment again maybe it will help you understand yourself better.

i_belong_to_yg lye54 23 days ago

woman please. you thought Minzy cares about your "feeling sorry"?? how high do you value yourself..... and oh, you did read my previous comment, and I bet you know every sentence by heart by now, so why are we even talking about that.... smh! bye!

kpopisbaebae 24 days ago

she wanted to be a star so she had to sacrifice like most idols do.

i_belong_to_yg kpopisbaebae 24 days ago

and that is exactly what she said. why does it make you mad when she says it herself?? she did not say what she said to blame anybody, she only said that she missed out of school because of her music career...

kpopisbaebae i_belong_to_yg 24 days ago

did my comment sound mad? look at me here trying to understand her choice but the minzy police suddenly took offence. you really need to chill fam.

i_belong_to_yg kpopisbaebae 24 days ago

wait, did I actually reply that to you? I think I meant to reply the comment before or after yours?? confused with myself.

mabnab 24 days ago

Remembering what CL said about Minzy missing out her school life in Yoo Hee-Yeol's sketchbook.....

kpoplolita mabnab 23 days ago

yeah and they all wished her to enjoy all the small things like eating lunch with friends, doing hmwrk XD etc and at least she got to do that in UNI and now Unnies

totes