Group Chat
General Chat

KBS news anchor apologizes for saying BTS is beating EXO in popularity

By yckim124   24 days ago   215,712   31,155   992
EXO,bts

KBS news anchor, Park Young Hwan, apologized for his statement about EXO and BTS

On the January 26 broadcast of KBS special, 'Listen to It From the Candidate', the governor of Chungnam appeared as the guest. During the talk about popularity, the governor said, "I turned into EXO overnight", and to this, Park Young Hwan replied, "You know that EXO is very popular, right? I heard they're getting beat by BTS nowadays but they're still a fantastic group."

SEE ALSO: SM Entertainment speaks up about Indian film 'Kannayya' that plagiarized EXO's songs for their OST

After the broadcast, fans bombarded Park Young Hwan with criticism for making an unnecessary comparison of the two groups. He then responded to the criticism with an apology on Facebook, and wrote:

"I think my statement hurt the feelings of EXO fans. I want to clarify that I did not have any intentions to disparage EXO. I also did not have intentions to compare EXO and BTS. I was trying to carry out the debate with Governor Ahn in a more friendly way by mentioning two of the hottest idol groups in Korea. I'm personally a huge fan of EXO and even attended their concert in the U.S. I look forward to seeing EXO's best promotions in the future and I sincerely apologize for hurting the feelings of the fans."

1. EXO
  2. (Bangtan Boys) BTS

Suhos_Forehead 21 hours ago

Um seriously? Jesus there goes my shitty fandom attacking people for the smallest thing said against their oppars. And the popularity thing? It depends. Exo is more well-known in korea right now but bts is more well-known internationally. All he said was that he HEARD it was happening it's nothing to get so pressed over.

MbaG007 12 days ago

Anyhing to do with1. Popularity2. BTSSeems to get the EXO-ls, Korean and International, very, very sensitive from what I've seen.

lee_brothers 16 days ago

Ls will keep attacking people who share different opinions and favors others aside of their untouchable oppars LOL Will they bomb S.Korea when the country collectively refer to the younger group in the future as way better, making the endless awards they keep bragging as nothing but dust :p Good for the anchor only addressing the pressed ones and not taking his words back. It's not like what he said was total non sense smh

BoBo101 17 days ago

This is part of the reason why I don't stan anymore, there is literally so much hate reeking everywhere.

Hellotreasure 19 days ago

Lol I stan both, they both slay, so I don't really give shit tbh

Im_you_pantseu 20 days ago

I personally believe that BTS is beating exo in international popularity. I think that exo was once super popular internationally ( growl era ) but it has died down.

bigbangs_hoe Im_you_pantseu 19 days ago

BTS haven't " beaten" exo in Korean popularity. they're practically the same as in popularity in korea but when wings came out and when it was on the news it became a trend or they think its really cool to stan BTS. so BTS has been receiving more attention these days

Im_you_pantseu bigbangs_hoe 18 days ago

yeah thats why i said BTS is more popular internationally than Exo.

ase Im_you_pantseu 10 days ago

Agree. BTS is now the most popular grp,

bigbangs_hoe Im_you_pantseu 4 days ago

exos popularity is still crazy there...as in the number of fangirls.....i was there in 2013 when growl came out and ur right there fandom was way bigger back then...

Logan_W 21 days ago

I'm glad he said I'm sorry for hurting the fans feelings and not like "I need to reflect and I'll try to be better" because so many celebrities these days have to act is if they murdered someone whenever a "controversy" happens aka knets freaking out over everything. It's also so crazy to me you can't even compare the two groups in passing. They are two gigantic groups with enormous popularity all around the same age. I know everyone thinks their group is best, but for people (especially like these men) discussing kpop, it is not insulting or out of the blue to bring up both EXO and BTS and even compare them. I never compare groups in a negative way. Because that's not comparing if you are attacking one group to raise up another. That's being rude. There's a difference I think, but who knows maybe in Korea I'm very very wrong.

ACER12 21 days ago

LMAO what he said is the truth..

eryn9705 21 days ago

I knew there would be drama just with EXO and BTS in the same headline.. But that banger or whatever girl it's just plain rude.. I'm an EXO-L but I really love BTS too, but ARMYs like her make me get kind of annoyed with BTS for a moment, then I see BangtanBombs and I remember why I love them so much..

bangeryun94 eryn9705 21 days ago

Shitdown eryn9705. Go cry in a corner assjacket. Nobody gives a flying fack if your little boohiney gets annoyed. But hey thanks for calling ME out. See you around.

bigbangs_hoe eryn9705 19 days ago

first of all ITS NOT AN ARMY. its a NEWS ANCHOR. so armys aint in this. and he was stating his own opinion on both groups popularity and he thought BTS was more popular than ur faves so u shouldn't be pressed because its an opinion an opinion is an opinion. it aint rude

eryn9705 bigbangs_hoe 19 days ago

I apologize for this, but you should read better.. I wasn't talking about the news anchor, I was referring to someone in the comment section..

bangeryun94 bigbangs_hoe 19 days ago

She was running her big fat mouth about ME.

Shiraa eryn9705 9 days ago

I don't see the connection between a fan's comment and you getting annoyed by BTS. I love both BTS and EXO, but I'm not gonna get annoyed by them or unstan them because of the childish fights between ARMY and EXO-L....

LveKimTae bangeryun94 2 days ago

why r u getting so much hate for speaking ur opinion? seriously not cool....but anyway just ignore them cause they're jealous that you're speaking the truth fam :)

bangeryun94 LveKimTae 2 days ago

Because I'm K Army and they know it. Normally I would have avoided articles like this because of the bickering. I had a weak moment and went in on anybody dragging Bangtan, ARMY and Park Young Hwan. I was just floored that a fandom was that sensitive.

LveKimTae bangeryun94 2 days ago

wait a minute you're korean army? i mean i knew you were an army but that's awesome to see k-armys in these articles.....anyway yeah i'm not really surprised to see a fandom so triggered lol

LveKimTae bangeryun94 2 days ago

btw i love how u speak lol you're so savage it's awesome :) i need to learn few pointers from u lol

bangeryun94 LveKimTae 1 day ago

There are a lot of Koreans here now. It didn't used to be that way. And I prefer English articles to the sewage that's on Pann and Naver

Lumirecia 21 days ago

I really do not appreciate the hate Army is giving to Exo. If you're giving hate, consider thinking about how 3 members left and exo is still staying strong and manage to win many awards. SM entertainment doesn't treat people like actually humans just as Tao said, but the 9 members continued practicing for Exo-L. Yixing even fainted from working too hard but he still did it for his fans. If you're ere t spread hate, consider thinking about how BTS debuted since 2013 and haven't received a Dapsang award and has no Chinese awards.

jmseo Lumirecia 21 days ago

idk what a dapsang is but if you mean daesang, they won 2 daesangs in 2016. Bts don't even promote in China so idk why they would even receive an award from China. You wanna act like a victim but as if exo-ls haven't constantly downgraded and said shit about BTS. You want armys to consider all these thing but why should we if exol-s can't even show the slightest bit of respect to BTS.

bangeryun94 Lumirecia 21 days ago

You know what? If you want ARMY to not hurt EXO L feelings then tell your fandom to put a fucking lid on it, congratulate whatever group is doing well, and move the hell on. We are sick and tired of all the one way sensitive feelings. It goes both ways and until EVERYBODY realises that, nobody gets anywhere.

bigbangs_hoe Lumirecia 19 days ago

what hate is armys giving exo? I'm a vip and i died at ur comment. lool its the other way around. exo-ls be doing so much shit to BTS and armys its crazy. ever since BTS released INU..EXO-LS have been sending death threats, rumours, stupid hashtags, buying armys tickets, sabotaging BTS comeback, when they win daesangs they call the company and complain, ask news companies to write hate about BTScalling the police on them, releasing there personal data more and more and more IDK everything since I'm not an army but ive seen this on twitter. this isn't even HALF THE THINGS EXO-LS DID. and yet EXO-LS ACT LIKE THE VICTIM? flabbergasted lol

BoBo101 bigbangs_hoe 17 days ago

Well I don't stan anybody so it seems clear to me that you do, hate goes both ways between these fandoms.

BoBo101 jmseo 17 days ago

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

bigbangs_hoe BoBo101 4 days ago

yea i made a mistake ...i just went on twitter both fandoms say shit about each other

dont recall