Variety

Yoo Hee Yeol to replace BoA as a judge on 'K-Pop Star 3'

October 8, 2013 @ 1:51 am
by starsung
  • 0
  • 0
  • 228
  • 52796
  • 388
The rumors of SM Entertainment dropping out of the show turned out to be true and taking SM's judging spot will be Yoo Hee Yeol, who will replace BoA as the third judge on 'K-Pop Star 3'!

SEE ALSO: SM Entertainment will not be participating in 'K-Pop Star 3'?

PD Park Sung Hoon announced the big change in a sudden press conference called for today. "I thought there needs to be a change as season 3 unfolded. We appointed Yoo Hee Yeol as a new judge and we think that he could discover a different kind of jewel with a different perspective. However, the concept [of the show] has not changed at all."

Yoo Hee Yeol shared, "Our agency has been a little lacking in terms of finding new talents. That is why I think 'K-Pop Star' will help. I already had a meeting with the director. To be honest, I was planning to refuse the offer but I reconsidered it after reading one phrase." That phrase turned out to be, "fair competition", and he joined the panel of judges in the hopes of upholding a fair competition to find the next superstar.

He also spoke about the differences in between major agencies like YG and JYP Entertainments, and his company Antenna Music. "Antenna Music never discusses anything when making music. You're completely free to do what you want... There's no cafeteria nor a dance practice room, and it's a small office located in a basement like place...In comparison to major companies, you can think of our company like a local bakery [rather than a big brand name bakery]... Although those who come out from this audition program will probably learn a lot when they go to either of the two big companies, if they come to our company, they'll probably be able to develop a strong will to survive."

What do you think about this change in the program?

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 228 comments

Sort by:

kennethsone4ever
· Posted October 22, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Yoo Hee Yeol Representing of SM ?

silverwing108
· Posted October 18, 2013 @ 9:30 am

It's sad that there're no more girl judges though.

antichangjo
· Posted October 10, 2013 @ 3:48 am

that guy is funny xD

b3an
· Posted October 9, 2013 @ 2:43 am

Rain should be a judge! Lol

maynhp
· Posted October 9, 2013 @ 2:21 am
Althou im sad Boa is leaving but YHY is a perfect replace!! I love this guy so friggin' much

eddashane23
· Posted October 9, 2013 @ 1:38 am

Excited to see what Yoo Hee Yeol would bring to the table. Love him in Sketchbook. :)

mely44
· Posted October 9, 2013 @ 1:36 am
Wow this is something new ... Not hating but if you see sm never cast any of the members of the show and no one try to go to SM could there be a reason behind? ... Or could it be that they have so many trains idk but ... All I know is that it was fun to watch how boa would jam to YGs/JYP artist

nicoco
· Posted October 9, 2013 @ 12:13 am

The Pic is a little awkward but congrats Atenna Music :) hope you'll have good artist :D

kari_p
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

The picture looks so awkward lol & His company name reminds me of ants for some reason

But i love Yoo Hee Yeol, I look forward to this even though SM BoA was Great i think that it shows that not only the BIG 3 can have acces to & develop talented people.

genesisolivia94
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 11:20 pm

I love that he doesnt hide the fact that his company is small but he knows his artist are those who thrive for music

nikynik345
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

Excited for the new season!! But Antenna Music isn't really an "idol" agency, which might be more advantageous for the contestants if were looking at more popularity within Korea. I think this will be very interesting none the less!

zhenbang
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 10:25 pm

I look up to Yoo Hee Yeol so much. I seriously think this show will become much more interesting and the competitors will be able to mature their talents by seeing his perspective on talent.

I'll miss BoA though...

puffydramamonkey
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

I will certainly watch season 3, and I completely acknowledge their choice for Yoo Hee Yeol... but I loved watching BoA! She was adorable and great, and it seems like she was a good teacher. I know JYP and YG both were/are performing artists, but BoA was the one who really seemed to know what it was like being superstar in the industry

boaforever
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

I have no reason to watch the show now, BoA i will miss you as a Judge the best judge in my eyes, i will miss your beautiful smile >.<

sswwrr
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

no point for SM to be on this show. they have revenue. they have more influence than the others combined and could probably run an audition channel 24 hours a day just for SM.

ladyperona
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 9:25 pm

What made the previous judges line interesting was when BoA had to stand in the middle of those two happy ahjussis and now it'll be just 3 happy ahjussis...

WhoAhU
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 9:10 pm

I love this decision. Yoo Hee Yeol is very respected in Korea both as a musician and as an entertainer/host. He will definitely speak up for indie artists. It's funny to see people bash him. He's been in the industry for a hella long time with his group, Toy. I remember buying their CDs in the 90's. Yoo Hee Yeol >>> Boa.

matokikittyxoxo
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

honestly... season two everyone who trained under boa got IMMENSELY better... :(

Kpop4Lyyfe
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

I thought it would be cube..

xshootinghearts
· Posted July 26, 2014 @ 12:42 am
i was hoping itd be cube too...

babyblackjack
· Posted October 8, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

Who's under Antenna Music?

And I think they really need a female's perspective on the show :/