Variety

KBS announces cancellation of 'Mamma Mia' + 'Qualifications of Dad' to possibly take its place

August 13, 2013 @ 9:08 pm
by starsung
  • 0
  • 0
  • 116
  • 34294
  • 346
KBS announced the cancellation of the family-oriented variety show 'Mamma Mia'.

SEE ALSO: KBS hop on the popular daddy trend with new variety show 'Qualifications of Dad'

KBS reps stated, "'Mamma Mia' will be cancelled. Although the exact date of its cancellation has not been confirmed yet, a pilot broadcast will air during Chuseok and a regular program will be confirmed afterwards."

Although there were rumors of '1N2D's cancellation, according to KBS reps, 'Mamma Mia' will be the first to go as its been on the chopping block due to its poor average viewer rating of 5%. Meanwhile, MC Park Mi Sun who has been recovering from her leg injury will return to 'Mamma Mia' for its filming on August 18th.

Upcoming KBS 2TV variety show 'Qualifications of Dad' is currently the most likely candidate to replace 'Mamma Mia' in its time slot.

DON'T MISS

Comments

There are 116 comments

Sort by:

fanarabica
· Posted March 10, 2014 @ 8:32 pm

i don't really care anymore if it gets cancelled. I started watching it because of Minho and they switched him to kyuhyun (wasn't really a fan but i fell in love ) so i kept watching and i got hooked on the show because some of the episodes were really interesting and funny but now they switched him again to kyunghwan and i was okay with it but now they are all regulars guests and all of them are women without doing anything special or funny they are either bragging, fighting or crying and they rank eachother through the whole episode and i'm not korean so i can't really relate to any of it and i don't really care who ranks first and who does what and if i wanted to see that i'd go downstairs to my own mother this show went from HIT to just a place were mothers and daughters complain about eachother i have i an episode that i downloded before but i'm really hesitating on whether or not i should watch it

kawatapuarangi_
· Posted February 3, 2014 @ 1:24 am

Don't say its true, I watch the show because of Park Eunyeong!! Best way to fix it - get rid of the comedians and bring back the idol guest stars!! The old format was way more entertaining than the new one with the same old pairing, need to add more 'spice' to get viewers and mother/daughters jealous!!

drea3
· Posted September 9, 2013 @ 12:52 am

is it really gonna be cancelled???

deniseesina
· Posted August 25, 2013 @ 9:45 am

Following reports that Mamma Mia will be cancelled, KBS stated that it has no plans to discontinue the show.

A rep from KBS emphasized on August 14 that "reports that say Mamma Mia will be cancelled are not true."

Source: http://mwave.interest.me/enewsworld/en/article/43491

squishyhae
· Posted August 16, 2013 @ 4:04 am

Damn. I liked this show too. I watched most of its episodes and I really was looking forward to seeing some other idols with their mothers, like maybe a mcs with their mothers episode, so many ideas I had for this show, gone. Why? :(

jiyoungkim98
· Posted August 15, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

NO!!!!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! I wait every week just to see this show on Youtube and wanted to go on this show with my mom...... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

afie_nitik
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

The only korean variety/talk show i like the most is running man
and second is mamma mia
i watched it every week...
i dont even care if idol show up or not in mamma mia
this is bad,real bad..

yeolipie
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 7:25 am

sorry but this show was boring! i didn't even watch a full episode of it yet because i always get bored, i only watched the cuts with infinite and sistar.

i guess only the fans were watching it to see there idols, it wasn't targeting the general public

msfan
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Both the SM idols suck bad in Mamma Mia. SM idols aren't good in variety. Changmin also is wooden in Kiz on the Block. That's what you get when you stick untalented boring idols in variety shows. Obviously the PDs didn't put the idols in there because they thought they would enhance the programs but because they have an inside relationship with SM. This is the result. The PDs don't care a damn because it's not their money they're risking, it's the public's money that gets used by these public networks (KBS2), and if they scratch SM's back, SM will scratch their back.

It's happened with Dream Team as well. That's just turned into an idols' show and it's no longer about seeing good athletic performances from the Dream Team and other people. The quality has also gone down.

So the bad ratings for Mamma Mia could have been predicted. It actually made me feel awkward watching that show because the SM idols were so stiff and unentertaining. And you have to remember that these idols are pretty uninteresting as in real life all they've done is train in dancing and singing and haven't been able to develop an independent personality on their own. Everything's carefully planned by SM.

So as long as these special relationships between the PDs and SM-C&C/SM continue, you are going to get a series of failed variety programs that only have ratings in the low single digits and that are canceled after a short time.

lakina91
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 3:41 pm
Actually I think SM idols are pretty good in variety shows .... Minho was a bit awkard but Kyuhyun was pretty good .... I think the problem is more the point that they have too many as permanent cast .. I would be good to have 2 mothers permanent and the rest always new mothers so we can see the interactions of many celebrities with their moms
fanarabica
· Posted March 10, 2014 @ 8:50 pm
minho was there for eye pleasure (i know he pleased me O_O ) but kyuhyun was great and you could really tell that they edited him alot if not he would've taken over the talk show with him personality but like lakina91 said thay brought to many permanent guests who are like water and blanded the show and now they're all permanent and they show so they're is nothing but water in the pot . i'm sure many feel the sameway i just lost interest and stopped watching

ikpoplolz
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:20 am

what!? nooooooo T^T I just watched an episode yesterday, liked it, and now it's gonna cancel! :(

BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 2:41 am

People thought I was just "hating" when I said this would happen when they replaced Minho with Kyuhyun. They are two different people and have different appeals. Kyuhyun works for a show like Radio Star, but Minho is more a "family friendly" style. Not to mention the fact that people wouldn't believe Yeongja would be hitting on Kyuhyun in the same way as Minho. He is not her "type". Also, it was obvious Misun didn't like him...probably because he came in and took her spot as the main MC...especially considering she has at least 20 or more years on him in the business.

Minho also had a bigger reach outside of Asia, so they lost a lot of international fans when they got rid of him. That whole "seniority" thing doesn't always play to their favor in Korea. Kyuhyun has been around longer, but he's no replacement for Minho. And they can't use scheduling as an excuse, because Onew films WTRV while he is touring in Japan.

bushiybunny
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 3:29 am
u should not say that just because u are minho fans! even Kyu is not as great as u think minho's great, but he did the best for us. he's funny! dont u know that kyuhyun and others member of SJ are also famous among the international fans? they got 30,000 taiwan elf for their ss5. minho is busy. he want kyu to replace him! it is not kyuhyun's fault. sorry for being rude. SJ doesnt want ELF to be quarrel with others fan..
khtm
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 3:42 am
I believe that you are not hating, but i think you are being biased without yourself realizing so... What I got from reading your comment is that you like shinee and thus are well informed about them while you have no special interest for SJ and thus may not know much about them, making you think less of SJ.
BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 3:58 am
@khtm I know about SJ on reality/variety shows...that's why I think Minho was a better fit.
BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:00 am
@bushiybunny I don't think he fit the show as much as Minho. And international means outside of Asia. Minho was no more busier than Onew and Onew still films his show. They pulled rank on him and now they see their mistake.
bushiybunny
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:35 am
@BCSN24 yeah. but its still not kyu's fault. sorry for the international fan means. im being mistake as my friend told me that international fans is fans that live outside korea state. back to the topic, Minho gave up the MC place. and now.. the job had been replace. he cant take the job back. but im admit, im enjoy watching minho being MC too. for me, they both are good. althought both of them are bestfriend.
khtm
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 4:37 am
@BCSN24 ah, sorry I wasn't being clear. I was referring more to the second half of your comment about their popularity. You may know more about Shinee's achievements than SJ's was what I meant. I won't go into arguing about who's more popular though, I love both SJ and Shinee... I do agree that minho has more of the "family friendly" image, as you call it, since he's more the type that adults will adore. However though, you shouldn't be claiming that the low ratings is because of kyuhyun. KBS knows what kind of image kyuhyun has from the start, so other than the excuse that minho has to go to japan, it might actually be that KBS intentionally want to shift the atmosphere of the program. If that is the case, Kyuhyun isn't suppose to be like Minho... and I'm sure the change doesnt have anything to do with "seniority" or else they would've chosen kyuhyun from the start :)
BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 10:14 am
@bushiybunny He didn't give the spot up. Kyuhyun has seniority over him, so a new and popular celebrity/idol will start the show to get more people watching and then the job goes to senior celebrity/idol. This is a common practice in Korea. Jonghyun actually mentioned this on their recent visit to Weekly Idol. SM sent Shinee out to that show as the first artists from their label, because they have a large international following. Once more of the international fans started watching it...then they sent out SJ, f(x), EXO...and so on.
BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 10:18 am
@khtm I know all about SJ's accomplishment, because they are always shoved down everyone's throat when someone mentions KPop. Who could I not know? I explained the seniority culture to the other person who commented on my post...and I think that's the real reason he was replaced with Kyuhyun.
bushiybunny
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 11:03 am
@BCSN24 maybe its true. futhermore, SM give the job to make SJ more active as SJ just have ads job, ss5, musical, DJ and variety show now to avoid from disband like the rumor says. but seens heechul will be back. SJ will be more active soon as they will make a comeback next year!
khtm
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 11:11 am
@BCSN24 At first I believed you when you said you not hating.. but now I started to doubt after you say "they are always shoved down everyone's throat"... sounds to me like you dislike hearing news about them. And from your description, i would see it as you know all about sj's accomplishments that are being publicized... there's a lot of things (particularly individual member achievements) that goes under the radar and thus may not have been "shoved down everyone's throat" ...and your comment about seniority, I remember watching that episode of weekly idol and that comment from jonghyun was obviously a joke...well, i guess it might not be that obvious since you definitely did not realize it was a joke
BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 1:01 pm
@bushiybunny The best thing they can do is put Heechul in charge of Sukira. Otherwise it will continue to go downhill.
BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 1:11 pm
@khtm Every fan who doesn't like what someone has to say, always pulls the "hater" title out of their ass. Its not about "hating", its about people trying to have a conversation about KPop that doesn't include SJ if they choose so... In this case you can't avoid it, because Kyuhyun is in the group. Honestly, SJ brings a lot of disdain onto themselves. They don't even try to improve like some of these other groups and they use the sunbae thing to their advantage. Just because someone is on your radio show, doesn't mean they have to like your group or your music. They basically force these younger groups to choose them when its clear a lot of them don't mean it. Everyone knows what the have accomplished...not need to continue to shove it down people's throats. We get it.
lakina91
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 3:53 pm
@BCSN24 I'm not a fan of SJ or shinee .... and I think you are totally being biased ... if you watch minho's episodes they were not really smooth ... it is obvious ... yeah Kyu has a bit more sharp tongue but It gives some enterteiment to the show.. he doesn't just say whatever is on script
BCSN24
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 7:38 pm
@lakina91 I don't know the purpose of your comment?
khtm
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 9:37 pm
@BCSN24 If you've read what I said, you should notice that I came in with an open mind and did not take you for a hater until I sense that you really have something against them in your comments. The fact that I even use the word "hating" is because you brought the word up yourself in your original comment. I'm not trying to brand you a hater, but I'm just pointing out that you do have smth against them which i'm sure you know you do...And I don't see why you have to bring in the issue about the radio show into this. the core of that problem is not even about seniority, it's more about common courtesy where people should just appreciate their favorite artists without attacking others and behave like mature people do... only immature fans of both sides will be worked up and start attacking and blaming the artists who were just doing their work.
BCSN24
· Posted August 15, 2013 @ 7:09 pm
@khtm I have no problem stating my opinion on a group...good or bad. If you disagree with that opinion...that's tour business.
BCSN24
· Posted August 15, 2013 @ 7:09 pm
@BCSN24 *your
lakina91
· Posted August 19, 2013 @ 2:06 am
@BCSN24...comments don't have a purpose, it is just an opinion ... I'm just saying that people were right .. <>....
lakina91
· Posted August 19, 2013 @ 2:07 am
@lakina91 "People thought I was just "hating" when I said this would happen when they replaced Minho with Kyuhyun." ...

shineeshinning
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 1:42 am

omg! whyyyy!! this show is sooo funnn!!! I love the mothers!!!

butterdilys
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 1:39 am

Please don't cancel Mamma Mia. I love this show!!

kpopmontrealfan
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 12:58 am

this was a good show tho :(

yeolielove
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 12:39 am

SO SAD! Mama Mia is how I fell in love with Seo in Guk, and I loved watching Kyuhyun blossom.

NowNoon
· Posted August 14, 2013 @ 12:20 am

ahhhh i just saw my first episode today! ><

letting me go~
· Posted August 13, 2013 @ 11:56 pm

Too many shows about dads dammit!

colourofemily
· Posted August 13, 2013 @ 11:51 pm

WHAT THE HELL I WAS JUST STARTING TO GET INTO IT OMFG

kpop1295
· Posted August 13, 2013 @ 11:46 pm
WHY?! D: i actually enjoyed that show although i must say the last few episodes kinda lost its touch :|

9PM_Hwaiting
· Posted August 13, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

Just as I was getting back into the variety show scene, one of the shows I actually watch gets cancelled. Can't lie though the format changed up and I was really interested when certain guess were on the show.