YOU NEED TO WATCH PARASITE. includes some spoilers

Discussion in 'K-Movies & TV' started by MANGOPlE, Oct 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MANGOPlE

MANGOPlE Trainee

Currency:
    parasite is a korean movie that has released earlier in october of 2019. IT’S SO GOOD. definitely one of my favorite movies of 2019.

just to be preface this by saying i’m not going to reveal the complete ending. but i do want to discuss some of the themes. so i will be mentioning other parts of the movie.

DONT READ IF YOU DONT WANT ANYTHING SPOILED.

there are so many themes explored in this movie, the biggest one being the gap between the rich and the poor. for example: (1) the kim family literally living in a basement - lower than most of their neighbors. while the parks live in a mansion with very high windows. the windows are even taller than the basement walls. (2) even though they’re poor, the kims have great talents. despite this, their poverty causes them to be stuck in the same living conditions and moving up in social class is only a fantasy. (3) the exploration of stereotypes between the rich and the poor. there’s a stereotype that the poor are poor for their own faults. this is briefly alluded to when it’s revealed that kiwoo failed in college entrance exam 4 times (correct me if this part is wrong) and is unable to get into university, which would allow him to get a higher paying job. this is also stereotype is also explored when the kims try to cheat their way into fortune and fail. another stereotype is that the rich are gullible and sort of live in their own world, and the poor are untouchable. however, we are able to empathize with both the parks and kims.

another theme is the obvious “parasite”. of course, the kims are parasitic and living off of the parks. the housekeeper was a parasite too, using the house the parks owned to hide away her husband and give him food (it suddenly made sense when mr.park was complaining that the housekeeper ate a lot). min, the friend who recommended kiwoo to mrs.park, is a parasite too because he was basically only tutoring dahye to one day be able to date her when she graduated high school (EW. also notice how min was like “it doesn’t matter what kinds of grades she makes”).

i’m having trouble fully connecting the meaning of the rock min gave to the family. my theory is a little shaky but hear me out. the rock was suppose to bring material wealth to the family and it did at first. each member of the kim family was able to get a job serving the wealthy parks. i think things started to change once they used the rock to hit that guy urinating on the side of their house. in this way, they’re kind of like disrespecting(?) the rock and that’s when their luck goes to awry. you see the whole confrontation with the housekeeper and her husband which eventually leads to a death. this next part is what i have trouble connecting - their house is flooded and you see the rock submerged in poop water and then at the movie you see kiwoo putting the rock in a clear stream. could this be kiwoo taking control over his own fate?

some last things i found interesting. (1) the whole thing with mr.park being revolted by mr.kim’s smell. and then dasong saying that they all smell the same. the kim family agrees that the smell comes from their house, which i think is a metaphor to their poverty. it’s part of where they come from and they are unable to remove that smell for the entirety of the movie. (2) i found it interesting that both dasong and kiwoo were boy scouts. despite having that same opportunity, dasong lives a luxurious life and barely has to try (he acts out and is rambunctious but suffers no real consequences). boy scouts is probably one of many things that he’s involved in. whereas with kiwoo, every opportunity counts.

there is probably more that i’ve missed but my brain is ded. the movie was so good and deep, i had to write my thoughts down. but yeah you should watch it

begginforthread likes this.
  2. monke

monke Feline Villain

Currency:
    the thing that i like most about it is there's no black or white character. basically humans are opportunistic beings and you can't really fault them from trying to benefit from circumstances. basically it's up to you on how you react to the characters because everyone have their own reasonings.

about the smell. yeah it's the smell of poverty. underground houses are damp and musty and it latches to everything and everyone living in it.

MANGOPlE likes this.
  3. MJay14

MJay14 Public Figure

Currency:
    Yup. 100% recommend it. That is the first Korean movie I watched. And I was not disappointed.

Its a brilliant movie.

MANGOPlE likes this.
  4. begginforthread

begginforthread Trendsetter

Currency:
    Cunt
    Yeah it's great

MANGOPlE likes this.
  5. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    Yep. Really enjoyed Parasite. The family's terrible, likeable in a roguish sort of way but still terrible.The ridiculousness of the last third of the film when it went off the deep end (in a good way as it still worked) wouldn't have been good if not for the excellent performance of the cast.

MANGOPlE likes this.