[YONHAP NEWS] Universality, Communication, Decentralization...3 Things K-pop Should Learn from BTS

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by PopCandy, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PopCandy

PopCandy Celebrity

Currency:
    Just gonna drop this very interesting article here:

Also, which agency do you think has created a bts task force?

2. GGucci

GGucci Rookie

Currency:
    Probably SM or YG. They've been trying to break into the West for years :teeheek:

3. RxRedTx

RxRedTx Married to @TastyButtercream

Currency:
    BTS promoter
  4. Chloe0611

Chloe0611 Celebrity

Currency:
    Bangwools
    OH i just read this article haha. This was such a good one

rjkoya3579, rairte and randomstrang3r like this.
  5. PopCandy

PopCandy Celebrity

Currency:
    actually my money is on JYP

6. dotsit1999

dotsit1999 Rookie

Currency:
    So they have started huh..It took them long enough
    980x.gif

minnie97 likes this.
  7. LadyS

LadyS Leader

Currency:
    Lmao I bet my money it’s euther YG or SM

8. annoyed

annoyed Idol

Currency:
    JYP list a LOT when he tried it last time idk if he’d dare to do it.

But the thing with BTS is that they NEVER tried to succeed in America, the demand came to them and BigHit delivered what the outside public were asking for. The media should also notice that

9. PopCandy

PopCandy Celebrity

Currency:
    I feel like he still hasn't let go of it.

10. Flyingpetals

Flyingpetals Leader

Currency:
    Apple
    finally... they're getting it

rjkoya3579 likes this.
  11. AmmaAffa

AmmaAffa Celebrity

Currency:
    My money is on YG. But lets be honest all big 3 are trying to go international recently, with more fervour. :D

LuhanHobiarelife and minnie97 like this.
  12. minnie97

minnie97 Public Figure

Currency:
    Exactly. These companies are trying to reduce bts years of hardwork and pure intentions into some basic formula so that can try to replicate. Just like how they did with Seo Taiji. And once again, they'll try to force themselves into a market that really isn't asking for them or care — that's why they'll fail (again).

#12 minnie97, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  13. annoyed

annoyed Idol

Currency:
    Yes! You can't replicate something that's genuine, you either have to actually be about it or it's noticeable that you're doing it just bc the company told you to do so etc. I saw many people talk about how they hope the kpop industry isn't looking at talks about serious topics as a way of making money and formula you can just create for your own gain, that's just wrong and i agree. Social and taboo topics should be talked about bc you WANT to dress them or shine a light on them not bc you want to become popular overseas

14. 5wA663R

5wA663R Newbie

Currency:
    Legendary textbooks.

15. Teudungi21

Teudungi21 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Just dont try and become successful in America as a foreign group because I can tell you 99 out of 100 groups that do will fail. There is a reason why no group has made it big in America besides BTS and its because its very hard. Americans are close minded to listening to music with a foreign language and this is especially true of Korean as many dont hear it as often as say Spanish. I would say let the audience come to you and maybe give your artists more artistic freedom to write what they want too

cassexotic and v_anya like this.
  16. GGucci

GGucci Rookie

Currency:
    This is the reason why no matter how much you try and analyze BTS' success in the West you will never know who will blow up, so this "study on BTS' success" seems a bit pointless lol :teeheek:

17. minnie97

minnie97 Public Figure

Currency:
    You're right, people can tell, especially in the west. Plus people here don't have the interest in supporting more than one boyband, especially when they already like the current popular one. I mean, when 1D was still together no other boyband got the same attention or sucess as them. US has others boybands and yet it took BTS (from south korea) to take over. Plus, copycats are also easily spotted here. I hope those companies have that in mind.

randomstrang3r and v_anya like this.
  18. minnie97

minnie97 Public Figure

Currency:
    Yes! They also forget that a large reason of BTS success comes from the fandom. ARMY genuinely wanting the boys to succeed and working hard for it. Hell, we weren't even aware that we were going to get a Billboard nomination last year. It was a surprise for everyone! For eg, requesting their music on the radio was just because we really wanted people to give them a chance, cause we believe in their music. They didn't asks us for anything. It is pointless to try to follow some formula indeed, cause BTS doesn't have one and they create their own path.
    But hey, let them have some fun trying :teeheek:

19. Zehila

Zehila Leader

Currency:
    I don't understand their logic. Are they seriously trying to dissect success when luck and timing are also involved ? They can't manufacture success and authenticity in the West like they do in Korea. Plus, groups like CNCO,5Sos are already trying and they have Simon Cowell (CNCO) with them but can't break in the market. Westerners aren't buying into personalities and visuals like that, credit is given to authenticity and originality. The market isn't ready for a Kpop invasion.

20. annoyed

annoyed Idol

Currency:

That's it!!! After the jonas brothers were done, the crowd moved to Justin who offered dance moves and catchy pop songs, but after that people moved to 1D who offered more of "we're not your typical boyband bc we don't dance, we're too cool for that" image and now it seems like people moved to BTS bc they're a boyband that dances but unlike the western ones, they dance VERY well and they're not seeing anything wrong about it, but they're also a boyband who tackles social issues, even criticize the government and they have rappers in the group + they produce and write their music etc, which is something the west has never had before in a boyband.

The west is always looking for something that's NEW in music which is where kpop goes wrong bc instead of bringing in something that's new, they bring in something that's a copy of the popular product. They also need to know that products that's the same will never be allowed to be popular at the same time.
    Take 1D and The Wanted as an example: they were both racing to see who would take over America first, 1D won with a high album position and a higher album sales while The Wanted debuted at #7 with album sales under 40k and they ended up disbanding 2 years after failing. Not even 2 english speaking groups could be side by side and go on, even Big Time Rush had to disband bc of 1D.

PopCandy, Zehila and minnie97 like this.