Yang Yang

Discussion in 'C-Movies & TV' started by HanixHeechul, Aug 24, 2019.

1. HanixHeechul

HanixHeechul Public Figure

Currency:
    So I just recently started The King's Avatar on Netflix and after comparing his character here and in Love 020, I have come to the conclusion - Love 020 writing sucked because his character was so stiff in it, does anyone else here think this?

soso-24, Shybn and Haolat like this.
  2. anticipation

anticipation Newbie

Currency:
    His acting is mediocre

3. HanixHeechul

HanixHeechul Public Figure

Currency:
    I thought so too after Love 020 then I watched his other stuff and came to the conclusion - love 020 sucked, not the actors. Same with Gangnam Beauty and Im So Hyang

4. trafalgardzoro

Currency:
    Yang Yang is beautiful in Once Upon A Time. I like him better as Ye Hua compared to Mark (unpopular opinion lol). I wish to see him more in fantasy/period dramas. I want to watch Martial Universe, but the reviews are so bad, more negative comments than positive one (about the drama, not him) so I drop it from my watching list. Love 020 was the drama that introduced me to cdrama land so, despite I'm not really obsessed with it, it has special place in my heart hehe. King's Avatar is in my watching list, will start watching after finish my current drama (if the review is not bad)

Shybn likes this.
  5. Ilisidi

Ilisidi Super Rookie

Currency:
    Yang yang is an OK drama actor , he obviously trained in more stagey type acting.

In Kings avatar the standout actor is Gao Hanyu playing a rival esport team captain.

Yang Yang's rendition in Once upon a time was short in comparison to the drama but more weighty than the drama actor.

Love020 plot and writing was basically teen girl Mary sue but the acting was matched up by all the actors and comedic. Yang yang was like an anime male lead ,which was what the story called for. Some parts of the story pivoted towards giving the female lead maturity and agency rather than being helped by the male lead all the time which is nice.

Martial universe is long and like a lot of wuxia novels plotty, but yang yang goes through a lot in the show, so he got to do a lot of performing, from youngish brat to lonely world saviour.

Shybn likes this.
  6. Flowercrew

Flowercrew Celebrity

Currency:
    BTS nanny
    I read there's not much romance in King's Avatar, but it's Yang Yang, so might watch it.

Angestic11 and zakharovich like this.
  7. Shybn

Shybn ~Shy Bean~

Currency:
    Love o2o introduce me to cdrama as well..
    i tried watching King's Avatar but hadn't got time to finish it yet.

8. zakharovich

zakharovich Super Rookie

Currency:
    Lurking on PLKP's profile.
    Yang Yang should star in dramas where there is a romance angle!! I watched the entire King's Avatar just to look at him. And, he'd do great in period dramas!

9. zuesfht

zuesfht Trainee

Currency:
    I thought this was about WayV YangYang

10. essotea

essotea Super Rookie

Currency:
    I loved love020....i thought he was cute in it

11. Angestic11

Angestic11 Star

Currency:
    Yang Yang is actually a good actor with a possibility to become a really good one.. I hope more doors will open for him the future and even better if they are outside of China.

12. RyenLux

RyenLux Trainee

Currency:
    His best work is probably Dream of the Red Chamber back in 2010 and The Left Ear in 2015. I think he has great acting potential, but often gets typecast into playing the same type of characters since they guarantee high ratings.

To be fair, Love020 is based on an online novel, and the show didn't really do a good job of bringing the novel to life. They mixed up a lot of the sub-plots, and focused more on real life rather than the virtual world (where most of the action took place).

13. sakura222 Super Rookie

Currency:
    i agree. the novel was much better. i think yang yang plays his role pretty well, but the female lead was 1d and annoyingly played. i'm happy he did kings game tho, it upheld the novel's standards

14. RyenLux

RyenLux Trainee

Currency:
    Yeah, it's a shame really, I really liked the novel. Too bad they didn't put much effort into the virtual game world. There's so much happening there and they cut lots of it out in favor of new scenes in real life. Zheng Shuang (the female lead) was okay, though there were some cringe-worthy moments in her acting.

Since online novels and serials are such a huge trend in China, companies have been scrambling to buy the rights to adapt them into movies and tv shows, but not all of them do a good job because of censorship and strict media regulations in China.

sakura222 likes this.
  15. soso-24

soso-24 Rookie

Currency:
    i tried watching his work but to me he’s the problem. Yang yang is very handsome but his acting is stuff and he doesn't have on screen presence. But he looks great in photos.