Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

With the rise of I-Fans should Idol training now cover racism

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by K_Pop_Captain, Apr 16, 2018.

1. K_Pop_Captain

I understand that Korea is possibly behind the times on racism, but with what Chen EXO did, Wendy / Mamamoo’s insensitivity is it time that Entertainment companies started training idols in the art of non-racism.

What may be acceptable in Korea is not the same abroad, Idol groups have international fans who put money into their pockets that deserve better. I think K Pop can lead the way and I think it should be something that isn’t overlooked or just mentioned in passing, it should be laid down in K Pop Law!

2. crispina_aguilera

crispina_aguilera Married to @Vwc_sugakookies

full time tiffany pollard stan
    They don't need to have an entire college course on race, but yes.
    Even one lesson saying not to stereotype or mock would be sufficient.

3. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Artist

Dancer
    hmmm i dunno maybe. The sane majority doesn't see these ''controversies'' as racism. And i believe they already do have that covered during training.
    In the end, the screaming minority won't effect sales of groups at all.

jojomomo, SunheeXO, Darkyoda and 3 others like this.
  4. seiekineeded

seiekineeded Artist

Of course! We don't want the shit done by Wendy, Jackson and Namjoon etc. to be done over again, even if they apologized

K_Pop_Captain likes this.
  5. K_Pop_Captain

I don’t think these guys are racist (then again who knows), but I don’t think it should be brushed under the carpet because it won’t affect sales.

Asianfan678 likes this.
  6. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Artist

Dancer
    i just think pandering to the loud minority isn't a good thing or even an effective thing to do

7. K_Pop_Captain

Yeah because black people getting pissed at someone painting their lips bigger and referring to slaves is ‘pandering to a loud minority’.

Asianfan678, Coelacanth and centen like this.
  8. RoAnon9935

RoAnon9935 Married to @Vipmultifandom10

One thing people need to realize to not offend someone is damn near impossible. Especially with Americans now day in age. The problem is so many people have lacked the ability to be adult about it and decided to knee jerk and raise hell. You reach more people if you calmly approach someone and elt them know what they did was offensive AND WHY! That way they know and they are educated. Black face has it's own reference in Korea it's not black people. In order to reach out and make them understand you need to understand Korea has it's own version. It's not nice either, but it's not the same. That's my point it's NOT THE SAME. If you were poor you worked in the feild more and what does the sun do to you... Though seriously Korea get over disliking tan skin already.

What happens if someone starts screaming at you in a tirade for something you didn't know what you did wrong? You'd pull back and think WTF and be left wondering why it was truly wrong to begin with. Don't give me you cannot know now day in age because there is to damn much to know what offends. I came from the Midwest and it took me 5 years for my head to stop spinning so much once I moved out to CA because despite being American I didn't know. No one i knew was racist and no one gave a flying hoot but apparently some language we used was not acceptable.

Now picture someone from another country. We being loud mouthed offended Americans (face it most of it are Americans) probably is just creating a stereotypes of Americans.

FORCING someone to apologize for something they did/do not understand is not solving anything.

suiram, Asianfan678, ThisGuy and 6 others like this.
  9. Venomous

Venomous Main Monbebe
    Graphics Bitch Awards Team

Artist
    Sensitivity training for idols would be a good idea, on many topics, not just racism.

10. annoyed

annoyed Artist

Defiantly!!!! I'm still shocked how these idols are so grown and doing stuff like blackface and saying the n-word etc. There has never been anything wrong with being educated and since those idols have an influence on young people and sometimes the public, it would lead to good understanding on other cultures in general.

I've said this before but Koreans can't scream "racism" when a western celebrity does something that affects them and then turn their heads when they do/say something racist/ignorant about another race. That's not how a change works.

Buddy25, Coelacanth and K_Pop_Captain like this.
  11. K_Pop_Captain

That’s a good post from the other side

12. RoAnon9935

RoAnon9935 Married to @Vipmultifandom10

Again, you got to look at it from an under looked POV. Especially in YG they have a lot of black staff. Black people even British (yes it's still racist) in origin use the n word between themselves. Now imagine being arrogant to just how offensive and hearing your buddies of a different color sling it around, and you even get away with saying it. Heck just listen to some rap music and you'll hear the n word in some form. At some point you are going to be so comfortable around that word you won't fathom how racist it is. Then at some point you let it slip out, and all of a sudden you are attacked. Attacked for the same word you got away with saying.

Black poeple stop slinging around the N word as well.

suiram likes this.
  13. Shonenaaron1

Shonenaaron1 Artist

What I was going to say, maybe not racism but sensitivity training. Being racist and being insensitive are two different things.

Venomous, SunheeXO and K_Pop_Captain like this.
  14. annoyed

annoyed Artist

Do you hear yourself???? Do you even know WHY black people are using a racist term used against them? They gave it a new meaning for THEMSELVES, meaning that THEY can use that term bc it was a term used against THEM.

Let me give you an EASY example: You can call yourself dumb even if you're joking or not, but you know you would be offended if someone else called you dumb. idk why you're caping so hard for non black people to say the n-word, why do you wanna say it so bad to the point where you have to even put the blame on the people who redefined it for themselves only?

lizvip, Buddy25 and Coelacanth like this.
  15. LadyS

LadyS Star

Botmy
    This is such a good idea ugh

Genius

16. Karla

Karla Artist

It’s sad that this would even need to be suggested for people to have, especially young people to have in a developed country in the 21st century, but the answer is probably yes.

17. kennricky

kennricky Entertainer

Relevant i-fans (of specific regions) are the one who need to be less sensitive.

18. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Artist

I definitely agree. Kpop has a large international fanbase these days, and the world is getting more and more globalized and multicultural. Learning how to navigate other cultures without unintentionally causing offense is wise for anyone in the public sphere.

lizvip likes this.
  19. xenoblood

xenoblood Artist

full-time chad
    idol training shouldn't cover racism as a specific topic - it should cover public relations more in detail.
    because this shit is a pr nightmare that could've easily been avoided if they were more aware of the impacts of the words they spoke.

20. Spinereader

It couldn't hurt, but there will still be cases of idols slipping up and doing/saying something unintentionally racist because they've grown up believing it's acceptable. Cultural sensitivity can't cover everything.

Speaking of insensitivity, I know it won't happen, but I'd love it if companies would put a stop to gay fan service. I don't mean idols playing around and being affectionate on their own, I mean forced "kissing" games and putting on an act at fan meets. In a country where actual gays face a huge backlash if they show their feelings, and celebrities are pressured to stay in the closet, it's just tacky. It really brought the point home for me in an interview with Holland where he said how careful he has to be around straight male celebrities not to get too friendly, and pleaded with fans not to ship him with idols.