Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Will LOONA be a top tiered girl group once they debut?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by fxcx09, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fxcx09

fxcx09 Artist

Thus far, the only songs I've heard from them are the ones by Kim Lip, Yves, JinSoul and ViVi

their music sounds pretty great so far

but what will happen to them once they debut?

Do you think they'll end up like KARD who have a decent fanbase overseas but can barely chart or sell as it is in Korea or will LOONA be able to pull a GFRIEND or Mamamoo?

personally in my opinion, they're gonna have to release something like Me Gustas Tu or You're The Best if they're planning to grasp the general public's attention, it isn't going to be easy especially when they come from a nugu company. i hope they won't end up like kard though.

deathlymuse likes this.
  2. ArieIIe

ArieIIe Star

most likely not

3. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Honestly is the group i've more doubts, it can go in any way tbh. If i'd have to bet i'd say they'll end being a mid tier group, such as Cosmic girls for example, but i can see them being bigger too.

4. mparserz

mparserz Artist

They HAVE to hit a homerun with their debut. No ifs ands or buts. They have the public's attention. There is going to be a lot of ears when the group finally debuts because of this year plus effort to debut each girl and subunit first. If they totally underperform with their debut because the agency is caught twiddling their thumbs with a lackluster plan then all of this spectacle will be for nothing. They cannot survive a meh debut song. The public will be ruthless. They'll be killed online. So I hope the agency knows what they're doing and has something big planned. I want them to succeed since I like a lot of their members and also like some of their songs a lot.

JunsuK, Mynty, anothernoona and 6 others like this.
  5. Princess_Pure

Princess_Pure Artist

I saw lot's of people saying Loona has potential to be the female BTS or win daesangs. I would say all of this is delulusional and reminds me of when people expected CLC or WJSN or Pristin to be big. International Kpop forums have a great history of overhyping ggs and anticipating them like crazy,then leave them alone when they flop.
    I don't think loona will be nugu but I would say female BTS is REALLY REALLY delulusional. I see it a lot when a non big 3 girl group flops,people usually say "ohhhhhh,they could be like gfriend but the company didn't care". I would say being on Gfriend level (tho the hype isn't as much as before now) isn't as easy as people easily say. Yea,specially with all big 3 girl groups,the unit gg and fromis_9 and potential produce 48,expecting loona to be big is going far away. I think they will have a loyal fandom and continue that way like post IOI groups.

6. Abeamus

Abeamus Star

Who knows, their debut be good but then they get ignored after that like it's all people wanted to see, they could have a good debut and build from there or they could just have a bad debut and end up so nobody cares about them, etc. Anything could happen.

7. Cutie888

Cutie888 Legend

It depends what type of music they will release as a whole group

8. Marksonforever_1

i feel like they will be lower since look at kard, in predebut they were on top of the world everyone talked about them and once they debutted, they not talked about anymore

Happy_Nicey_BTS and Saimmi like this.
  9. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Artist

LOONA's music is very unique in the current girl group climate. Their visuals destroy all the mid-tier groups by far. They are rivalling Big 3 girl groups with their visuals. The only thing they are lacking right now is a mind blowing vocalist, they need a taeyeon.
    I have very high hopes for LOONA, since Eclipse, Singing in the rain and girl front are some of the best songs released this year.
    I hope they stick with their concept, And i don't think they'll fall in the KARD slump cause they've been showcased as a very diverse group when it comes to musicality. And one of the biggest strength of groups from SM is their diversity in musicallity, lots of non big 3 groups don't show much diversity in their music in their albums. LOONA does which is a huge benefit for them.
    And i do agree with other people here that there debut has to be MINDBLOWING otherwise their hype will die down and people will move on!

10. Saimmi

Saimmi Artist

I agree! LOONA can stand out musical WISE pretty easily if they keep the OEC style, but that style doesn't sell as well based on the comparisons between 1/3 and OEC. So it's hard to predict what they will actually sound like together.

I also agree on the vocalist thing AND they NEED a good dancer or two. So far LOONA hasn't shown really anything talent-wise, which is what they'll have to do, if they truly wan't to keep their fame. Because you don't want a ton of antis calling you talentless. There will be no second Twice that can handle such amount of bashing towards their talent.

Also, the thing that LOONA has against them is their Company. BBC is really shady and I have a feeling we will see quite a lot of scandals, most likely serious mistreatment, maybe even something related to sexual abuse... And I doubt that the group-dynamic will be that good either. Because of the individual songs there are a lot of akgaes. And the fame between girls will be distributed really unevenly, partially based on how good of a solo they have gotten.

So in conclusion I really don't have that high hopes. They'll either do moderately well or terribly.

11. haru081

haru081 Rookie

Honestly I don’t think so.

12. efoxbirdie

efoxbirdie Rookie

What they need is a good song. At the moment, the groups they are competing against are essentially Weki Meki, Gugudan, Pristin, WJSN (pre-debut attention/similar group size), not girl group likes MAMAMOO and Gfriend (who have already had a hit song). If they set themselves above the post-I.O.I groups, I think they have a good chance at getting to the top tier, but it's just about the music. I wouldn't compare them with KARD, since they got attention for the novelty of a co-ed group plus tropical house genre, while LOONA is getting it basically for being a unique girl group (similarly to Dreamcatcher but more mainstream).

keiko_tomoe likes this.
  13. qu33n

qu33n Star

Nah, I don't expect them to be top tier. If they are though it's good, if they aren't and are just mildly successful I'm good with that too.

I want them to do well but I don't expect them to debut as a top tier group or get their quickly after if ever.

14. AyanoE

AyanoE Super Rookie

Probably not because other groups will probably overshadow them

15. bangmenah

bangmenah Artist

I think that somebody hit the nail on the head. After Twice debuted, groups have been attempting this semi-cute/girl crush music without enough balance of either to make it actually good. Every IOI member with the exception of Chungha has done this so far, and none of them, with the exception of Chungha, has been successful. All we’ve gotten with recent groups is a lot of promise and no follow through. Conversely, I’m less nervous about Loona because it seems like they know their sound?

JunsuK likes this.
  16. anothernoona

anothernoona Rookie

yooooo you never know fam. they could be the female bts. never would i have believed anyone back in skool luv affair days that bts was going to hit so big two years or so later. after all, bts' success was due to a formula that worked.

17. BadDracula

BadDracula Entertainer

I hope their company still have a ton of money to promote them as a group and pay good producers for their debut album.

keiko_tomoe likes this.
  18. Lilac_Ace

Lilac_Ace Artist

I see a few loona stans here and there. I hope they'll succeed tho!

19. JunsuK

JunsuK Artist

I've said this multiple times but no they're most likely not going to be a "top tier" group....thats just reality for new groups. Everyone is expecting a lot from them almost too much or far too little, which to me suggests that some peoples minds have already been made up. Certain artistic aspects I would say that so far Loona is ahead but many of the current groups have a big head start.

20. Celaena

Celaena Super Rookie

I hope so they deserve it.