Why Jpop isn't as popular as Kpop?... [your honest opinion]

Discussion in 'J-POP' started by the_suddenlykfan, Jun 28, 2017.

1. the_suddenlykfan

the_suddenlykfan Trendsetter

this concepts could been aplied to kpop too, I particularly don't like the cute concept in Kpop either, but as you said this are just some groups. There are much more interesting things apart from idols and mainstream music.

2. pinkshrimp

pinkshrimp Newbie

The Japanese industry polices down on copyrights making a lot of content inaccessible to westerners especially Sony Music Japan... Also, most music videos on youtube channels from major Japanese labels are usually short versions and finding full length versions are difficult.

Plus, the music market in Japan is bigger so their country can sustain their market. Where-as the music market in Korea is arguably small thus a lot of Korean market tries to tailor to regions outside their country.

3. Cutie888

Cutie888 Married to :@ilovetzuyoda

I think because Jpop didn't have as much variety as kpop maybe?

4. the_suddenlykfan

it's actually backwards... I suggest you to take a look to non-idol groups and solo artists and you'll see the difference.

jimeous and kashchanocchi like this.
  5. katahtattat

jpop idol groups are more diverse than kpop idol groups too

ARMYOFTT and the_suddenlykfan like this.
  6. vivante

vivante Idol

doesn't matter anyway, cause the j music industry is second biggest in the world..

7. Alina1441

Alina1441 Super Rookie

J-pop couldn't care less about foreigners. Why would foreigners give a damn about J-pop? I have noticed A LOT of Japanese fans saying they don't need foreigners to support their music, they are doing perfectly fine on their own and are really rude to inl. fans who are asking for subs and stuff.
    Okay then... carry on....

the_suddenlykfan likes this.
  8. the_suddenlykfan

Well, to be honest, they're right. Japanese music industry it's pretty big, that's why they don't put any effort to get out of japan.:(
    about Japanese fans being rude to inl.fans, this is nothing new or exclusive of jpop, Knetz don't give a shit about us either...

9. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Jpop instead of promoting itself internationally tries to it's hardest to not let people outside of Japan to hear their songs. I mean at least there is nowadays youtube channels to some Japanese artists where you can see their mv's legally, but there didn't use to be. Still, japanese companies take down lot of fanwork like reactions, lyric videos etc. on youtube, you often hear kpop reaction youtubers to say they would love to react to japanese releases of groups, but how they are afraid to since those videos get taking down + strikes lot more than kpop videos do. So Japan sadly doesn't seem to want people to get into jpop.

In terms of promoting, I don't think japanese companies offer english translation as well as korean companies either.

Then about style, I think kpop takes more influence from US pop and hip hop music which makes kpop seem more familiar and approachable to many since what is popular in america, is popular around the world. Or so I think at least.

10. the_suddenlykfan

I've thought that too and it makes me sad. music shouldn't have this kind of barriers...:(:(

11. Alina1441

Alina1441 Super Rookie

I know there's a huge feud between K-fans and I-fans regarding K-pop, but it's NOT like the hate between J-fans and I-fans regarding J-pop. That's just a war zone.

12. katahtattat

with the groups i like most of the japanese fans are pretty nice

13. Ayumi9

Ayumi9 Public Figure

kpop is "bigger" (I put that in quotes because the american pop and the jpop music industry are still much bigger than kpop) is because the Kpop industry are tryhards. they make an effort to be liked by everyone lol. everything they do is taken from something else.

and hey, its works. but jpop artist dont even have to tour internationally to make way more than what kpop artist make. they dont have to leave the country to even make themselves appealing for other markets. jpop is self sustaining, and they literally dont need us to acknowledge them

14. noedardma

noedardma Newbie

My honest opinion. It's because of the anime & weird reputations of Japan in general. That's why kpop is more public (global public) friendly. People associate jpop with anime and Japanese quirkiness. It's not a bad thing but it certainly turns them into a specific kind of taste. Just like sushi. It's not for everyone.

15. jimeous

jimeous Idol

Kpop isn't that popular outside of SK either, it's Korean Idols that are popular as most i-fans are limited to Idol groups not Non-Idol Kpop Music.

Bolbbaggan4 is hot at the moment in SK, they are on their way to their 3rd 100 million Gaon Song but they are literally unknown outside of SK, IF Kpop was truly popular outside of SK, then Bolbbaggan4, which is now a Headliner group, would be more well known.

Korean Idols doing Jpop is much more popular than thier own Kpop in Japan.

As for Jpop, most Anime that has been released in the last decade has been with the original Jpop tracks

16. MajorBlackjack

MajorBlackjack Trainee

JPop has quite a "different" sound than mainstream music in the west, KPop on the other hand is more similar to it so I guess that's why it isn't as popular internationally.

17. lilyplease

lilyplease Trendsetter

EXILE TRIBE STAN
    Sounds are very different in my opinion(not just language)
    Kpop groups are big but try learning 44 names of a group you like for kpop and see how many will do that....
    Also like others mentioned Japan doesn't need foreign money to keep groups afloat and rather have fans in Japan than International

18. katahtattat

this is another area where people stereotype jpop. there are hundreds of jpop groups with less than 10 members

19. lilyplease

lilyplease Trendsetter

EXILE TRIBE STAN
    I learned all of EXILE TRIBE cause I adore them I just know some kpop fans think that all groups have 40+ members cause of it so they pass over jpop easily. It's sad cause I think Japan has some of the best female soloists I've ever heard and they are slept on by a lot of kpop fans.

Lindy003 likes this.
  20. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

To echo what other have said, not all Jpop idol groups are 40+ members, which, yes, is a bit foreign to western taste. (and, yeah, not my fav). They are not heavily promoted overseas...as others have said....they don't need to.

But there are plenty of really good ones, with the 'Pop' sound and with the more standard 5-Member, or even less.

some with a few more members, but with that same look and feel as Kpop

And then there is Jrock....which is very western, promoted overseas, and is becoming more popular worldwide lately due to the void of good music in the west. These are always in the top five rankings of Jrock female bands. These bands have/are doing multiple European tours.
    The newcomers.

The road warriors (Gacharic Spin)

The seasoned rockers

The 10+ year veterans

I guess in my experience, once someone in the west actually gets exposed to the examples above, they become instant fans. The bigger groups, and excess Kawaii turn off westerners somewhat.....too different.

#40 mkusa, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017