Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Why is there so much stigma regarding b-sides?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by PreciousJin, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:12 PM.

1. PreciousJin

PreciousJin Legend

I've noticed this behaviour a lot among the K-pop fans. Groups such as GOT7 seem to suffer from it a lot. People refusing to check out the b-sides on the album simply because title track wasn't good enough for them. But most of the time non-title tracks could have been used as title tracks as well. So why is it that you refuse to do it? I'm really trying to understand it. Title track doesn't define group's whole choreography.

For example, Cherry Bomb from NCT 127, probably considered one of the worst title tracks to come out this year (this is not in my opinion but on general consensus among k-pop fans) but, do you know this bop, a b-side song, it's out there, you can listen to it.

B-sides are there for a reason, to cater to different tastes, if title track won't do it. Because most of the time title track is catered towards one general group of people and not the rest. International fans tastes differ a lot from those of Koreans but they're not catering towards us, they're catering towards Koreans.

• I didn't like Ko Ko Bop but The Eve, What U Do?, Going Crazy are bops
    • DNA is meh but Mic Drop is lit, Best Of Me, Pied Piper are great
    • GOT7's You Are is just fine, there's nothing wrong it, but Face, Moon U are far better
    I don't want to pit these groups together but two of them have something in common while latter does not and I already said it. Why is that you people check out BTS and EXO b-sides but you refuse to give chance to GOT7?

Don't get me wrong. I'm in no means forcing you to listen to the group but I'd just like to see the reasoning behind it and why is there such stigma regarding some groups. PS: It's perfectly fine to not like group due to their vocals or rapping. But the simple 'I think rest of the songs will be even worse' thinking is what will destroy the K-pop not the group itself that had an unfortunate title track choice against their own will.

2. Lovely_Cornchips

It's time consuming is the main thing that comes to mind.

I rarely listen to B-sides all the way through unless I'm reviewing them or have been recommended them. I will typically just go and preview them on Itunes rather than listen to it fully and if that preview doesn't impress me odds are I won't listen to the songs fully ever unless its by accident or again it was recommended to me.

3. Xadne

Xadne Artist

I used to not check out b-sides, but I don't even know why really. It's maybe the lack of MV or promotion, or me having already enough music that I enjoy that I don't feel the need to find more.
    I have a prejudice that 90% of the b-sides are ballads (which I don't often enjoy) too lol
    Honestly don't know why I didn't (and still sometimes don't) check out albums.

peach_tae, Daduda and PreciousJin like this.
  4. kpopaye

kpopaye Legend

Tbh I just think its because as a non-fan they dont see the worth in checking out all those b sides everytime a group has a comeback.
    thats why a title track is fundamental for them
    I personally check out albums if im interested, regardless of title track
    but checking out albums is just a lot of effort and costs time as there can be a lot of b sides so it depends on the person i guess
    you cant really expect everyone to check out every album.. but i agree though there are many b side gems that are missed and buried because of this behaviour

5. svtsbreadnbutter

Honestly, if I dont stan stan the group the chances of me using my time to listen to an album is small
    If the title track is good, then I've gained interest
    If its not then I just end up forgetting about that comeback, its not anything personal but its just how it works

I might be missing out on good B-sides but I also might end up wasting time on something

6. Daduda

Daduda Star

When I started listening to Kpop I thought that even tho I liked the title or not, it would be really time consuming and in the end I probably wouldn't like half the songs. While now, I do listen to b-sides almost all the time instead of just the title.

I wouldn't have some new favorite songs if I hadn't listened to SF9's and Rainz album, so I'm pretty glad I check them out.

PreciousJin likes this.
  7. BritishSone

I can't understand the stigma...

The B sides are usually where the best tracks are because those aren't the ones that they are trying to promote to the public! I'm always happy to see when the B tracks are doing well as well though. Good example would be Taeyeon, because her B sides have a high number of DLs. U R alone has over 500,000DLs and every song off the I EP has over 150,000 DLs.

I've also enjoyed the B sides more than the title tracks of earlier releases by Red Velvet and Twice.
    I love Red Flavor, but my favourite songs off The Red Summer are You Better Know and Zoo.
    Luna is another good example...The title track is okay. But I love Breathe, Keep On Doin' and Galaxy more than I do Free Somebody.

IlikekpopIguess and PreciousJin like this.
  8. PreciousJin

PreciousJin Legend

Personally I don't find it time-consuming, I love exploring new groups and songs out there. But I can see why someone else thinks differently and as for the previews, sometimes the preview doesn't showcase the best part of the song, it has happened a lot with album spoilers. ;;
    I swear there's only 1 ballad most of the time. But for me it depends, there are different kind of ballads, I'm not that keen on really slow ones. xD
    I'm just more bothered with behaviour where people assume things about group's music based on the title track. I know it's time heavy but some of the mini albums are what 20 min long if not less. You can still listen to them while doing something else. >:

9. Xadne

Xadne Artist

Bless you for introducing me to all of those hidden gems :waterr:

kpopaye and PreciousJin like this.
  10. Lovely_Cornchips

Yeah i try to listen to full albums while I'm doing work but when I do that I become too distracted and never remember what I listened to-it really depends on the person I guess. For me it's hard to just sit and listen to music without something visual to keep my gaze focused on something.

PreciousJin likes this.
  11. PreciousJin

PreciousJin Legend

I assume you're a busy person? But I've gained so many bops from b-sides, actually most of the times b-sides are my favourite and not title. :p
    Same here which reminds me that I need to listen to SF9 and Rainz album so I'll get to it right now. :')
    I agree! You Better Know is a damn bop. It was my favourite on mini album and I'm not that much of girl group fan.
    Or Rude Love from f(x), what a great b-side, I like it even more than 4 Walls.

12. b9ee7

b9ee7 Artist

if the title track is good, i get intrigued by the bsides

if its shitty i dont bother with the rest of the album (even tho there are hidden gems like u said, for example diamond by f(x) is fucking amazing but 4 walls was not my favorite tt)

13. PreciousJin

PreciousJin Legend

That's why I usually play something or read news while listening to the music but I don't get distracted though. :eek:

Lovely_Cornchips likes this.
  14. BritishSone

God f(x) have way too many amazing b sides. Too many for me to go through and list right now.
    And SNSD's Japanese discography is the same. Most of my favourite SNSD songs are actually from their JPN B sides xD and then there is One Last Time which is emotional af.

PreciousJin likes this.
  15. Lovely_Cornchips

Yeah having ADHD makes it sometimes hard to listen to music and actually LISTEN to it. So it's kind of hard for me but I don't know if anyone else is like that...

PreciousJin likes this.
  16. PreciousJin

PreciousJin Legend

My favourite SNSD song is Into The New World. It's truly one of the greatest debuts but most of the time I don't actually have title track as a favourite track but rather a b-side. I guess our taste is more fitting for non-title songs. xD

BritishSone likes this.
  17. svtsbreadnbutter

Somewhat busy depending on the days cause of work and classes! But tbh if someone recommends and I know they always know good bops ill try to listen to them when I can or if tons of people are talking about it ~
    Tbh tho sometimes it doesnt work out in my favor since I'm picky, people recommended Mic Drop to me and I HATE it, not enough singing tbh

PreciousJin likes this.
  18. blossom_girl

blossom_girl Legend

19. PreciousJin

PreciousJin Legend

I can imagine. :( I usually get easily distracted as well but not when it comes to the music, just other things.
    That's the issue, sometimes there's a really good b-side, but it's from a nugu group so no one will check it out even if you talk about it and that sucks a bit. I don't like forcing k-pop songs on people though, lmao. I only send them to my friends. It's not really motivating to promote nugus.
    :sweatr:

20. BritishSone

ITNW has become such a classic and huge part of Korean movements. From political protests to LGBT pride marches. It really has become a iconic song which is now so influential in many different ways.

My favourite song is Genie. But other SNSD title tracks are lower in my rankings compared to a lot of their B sides like Beautiful Stranger, One Last Time, Top Secret, Chain Reaction, Let It Rain etc.

PreciousJin likes this.