Why is skinny shaming becoming worse than fatshaming these days

Discussion in 'Fashion & Beauty' started by dong_ii, Mar 28, 2019.

1. suprememadisyn

Currency:
    True.

Are you saying that people who are overweight shouldnt be praised for not trying to change their body? Thats not fair since skinny people can eat like crazy and get praised for not putting on the weight.

Lisa_Regina_G, Tuturuu and dong_ii like this.
  2. Taeri

Taeri Married to @NBW

Currency:
    MD
    Nopppppppppe
    You just think so
    But in reality it’s nothing like that

dong_ii and suprememadisyn like this.
  3. dong_ii

dong_ii Married to @mochichu

Currency:
    thats what used to be man but these days you see tons of people calling fat as realistic and skinny as idealistic

where did that come from

if we all have a good work diet balance none of us would be obese, thicker or thinner in size is dependant on body shape but tons of extra fat is not

4. Bluehappycat

Bluehappycat Super Rookie

Currency:

taemkitten and dong_ii like this.
  5. Tuturuu

Tuturuu Public Figure

Currency:
    there is some fucked up mentality regarding health and weight. many people justify the shaming by claiming "it's for your health" and they're not being 100% honest. these same people will often completely avoid bashing slim people who eat junk food and don't exercise at all but will bash a chubby person without knowing anything about their lifestyle. my friend is somewhat chubby and probably has the healthiest lifestyle of anyone i know, works out, eats right, but her hormones are fucking her up. people often are on her ass about her weight

basically, people often mask shallow comments concerned with aesthetics as worries about health

6. ancor

ancor Public Figure

Currency:
    This 100%

I got it all my life growing up when I developed PCOS which in turned made me gain so much weight. However, even with the weight I am healthier than most of my slim friends. And just recently found out I might have Thyroid issues too which explains the weight Gain...but overall, healthy as can be and exercise as much as possible. To be honest, Fat Shamming made me suicidal at times, but then I learned that it only mattered if I let it consume me.

7. suprememadisyn

Currency:
    Lmaoo, Honestly its no one's fault that they grew into it. A lot of people aren't aware of what they put into their system. America is doing population control. They wouldn't put those big ass words on the ingredients label if they really cared for our health. Obesity is the #1 killer in America. Americans love to make fun of Asians, Africans, and Europeans for being too skinny but that is literally what we should all look like (unless they're thick). But the hormones and all the saturated fat is killing us 1 by 1. Meat also doesn't help or fast food places. But HEY lets brush it off. The fact that I have to go out of my way to be healthy is crazy.

8. ancor

ancor Public Figure

Currency:

Just wanted to clarify that the number 1 killer in America is Cancer followed by heart disease..Obesity is lower than that.:)

9. suprememadisyn

Currency:
    Your mentality is beautiful dont let anyone corrupt it.

This is what I was trying to explain to OP but couldn't get the words out like this.

10. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Praising people for not maintaining a healthy weight is like praising people for not brushing their teeth.

Both require maintenance and effort to maintain and have both health and societal beauty consequences.

No one in their right mind would encourage the lack of maintenance of one's teeth.

I don't agree with "shaming" people for being obese (or slender) or not fitting a slender standard. But the whole movement to normalize obesity and indirectly encourage it is misguided.

Edit: Of course genetics and medical conditions come into play for some. But these aren't factors across the board.

Kpopaesthetic1, Dubu503 and dong_ii like this.
  11. suprememadisyn

Currency:
    Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 4.24.45 PM.png
    I mean....

GrapeGrope and dong_ii like this.
  12. dong_ii

Currency:
    Heart diseases can be caused by obesity too

GrapeGrope and suprememadisyn like this.
  13. ancor

ancor Public Figure

Currency:

yes but overall, statistically speaking, more people in America die of Heart Disease and Cancer than they do of Obesity...Obesity is a big problem for sure, but it's not the leading cause of death among US people. :)

suprememadisyn and dong_ii like this.
  14. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    obesity is literally a medical term for a condition that is not considered healthy

15. Tuturuu

Tuturuu Public Figure

Currency:
    I experienced a similar thing - used to be very skinny until my PCOS/hormones started acting up and then I put on 15 kg in a span of a year and a half while eating the same. Due to my anxiety and depression I was insecure as both skinny and chubby so I understand the insecurities related to both. It annoyed me so much when people kept telling me my weight gain was somehow my fault and that if I lived "healthier" I could drop the weight. Many people don't understand how much hormones can affect a person's weight outside of their control. In the end i realized I should focus on eating well and making my body strong (putting on muscle and being in shape) regardless of the number on the scale. It doesn't matter how my body looks as long as I'm treating it well. You should check your insulin resistance as it turned out I had bad genes for it and suffered from it even when I was very skinny. There is a misconception that it's something only overweight people experience. Anyhow, I hope you figure out everything for your health, I'm sure you look lovely!

Sunmis_elven_ear, ancor and dong_ii like this.
  16. ancor

ancor Public Figure

Currency:
    At lot of studies and research has been done and there are a sub-section of "obese" people that fall under the HEALTHY spectrum. Take for instance Sumo Wrestlers..they are considered Healthy because they do not develop diabetes or any other obesity related disease and are ACTIVE AF. The same for some weight lifters etc. So there are some differences in what is considered Obese...

Also the BMI of someone comes into play as well and not all countries have a similar BMI measuring technique. Some have argued that the BMI system should be eradicated.

dong_ii likes this.
  17. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    They no longer use BMI to define obesity but body percentage fat. BFP alot more accurate.

dong_ii likes this.
  18. ancor

ancor Public Figure

Currency:
    BMI is still used as the standard in many places...the US included. Again, from personal experienced I had this done to me last year on my annual check up. So yeah, while BFP may be more accurate, BMI remains in usage, which is sad since it doesn't give a good measuring accurate.

Tuturuu and dong_ii like this.
  19. annoyed

annoyed Idol

Currency:
    This is such an ignorant view lmao. There's more praise to skinny people in REAL life and online while what you have been saying is that you only see fat people getting praised online, have you seen it in REAL life? magazines? tv? at your own work place? people talking? have you seen people praise fat people in real life?

And if you wanna bring up Nicki Minaj then let me say she was talking about girls with fat ASS. the girl is skinny in the sense that she has a flat stomach and big hips.
    This was her in the Anaconda MV that you brought up
    [​IMG]

20. dong_ii

Currency:
    so basically anyone not having tons of extra fat on their ass is absolutely allowed to be dissed in a viral song