Why is Say Anything... considered a great film ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Blaenavon9, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

It is sweet and every bit good as high school romance flicks go. But to call it a great movie?

2. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    I'm probably not the best person to critique 80's high school movies because I'm a sucker for those - Teen Wolf, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo's, Ferris Bueller, and even the lesser ones like Can't Buy Me Love or the more serious type like Stand and Deliver. And this is me skipping a lot of the late 90s and early 00s teen movies and generally not a fan of romcoms. I think part of the charm is it's a generational thing (well at least for me). It's hard to quantify or to zero in on what made Say Anything one of the better ones. It's a bit of a cop out but you have to be there at that time when it came out to actually resonate with you. Definitely a product of it's time and I'd be the first to admit, part of it is nostalgia.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  3. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Hmmmm.
    I think I expected too much seeing Ebert label it one of his few "greats". But rating aside I do think it's a beautiful film, full of heart and artless. (Artless in the old sense of the word ofc)

StCatMouse likes this.
  4. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    Moderator .

I think at the heart of it is good writing
    I mean take the last season of game of thrones
    everything was top notch except the writing

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  5. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Yes maybe, I mean it's definitely a very well acted, well directed movie with a good message but it just seemed to me like so little was happening

kyutiemir22 likes this.
  6. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Trainee

Procrastinator
    At the end of the day Ebert was just one dude voicing his opinion. I googled his top ten list and I'd disagree with him on Aguirre. I acknowledge the film's merit but I just didn't find it entertaining. Sure, Ebert was probably way more versed in cinema than I will ever be but all told, it boils down to one criteria (at least for me), is the film entertaining enough for me to sit down and spend my time watching.
    Anyway, back to Say Anything. I enjoyed it and it was a solid movie but I probably wouldn't include it in my "films I'll be watching while stranded on an island". Breakfast Club inches it more to the top for me. Heck, I'll even put Weird Science above it :D
    Might be an unpopular opinion but I like Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire more as far as Cameron Crowe films are concerned.

Blaenavon9 likes this.
  7. Blaenavon9

Blaenavon9 Star

Ebert was whack sometimes. Like the time he gave fear and loathing in las Vegas a 1 star
    And yeah almost famous and Jerry M are really good. So is Vanilla Sky...idk about his newer films since Elizabethtown tho

StCatMouse likes this.
  8. _Healer

_Healer Newbie

slaying dragons
    haven't seen the film so can't give an opinion. all i'm aware of is that one scene of john cusack holding the boombox above his head being iconic or something. from the perspective of someone who hasn't seen it, i would assume that there is some significance regarding the film's plot and characters that make it special. then again, most teen-orientated films from that decade appear to be well liked and considered classics so that then leads back to your question. i hope i'm making sense lol