Why is it bad for non-black people to say the n word?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by x4ever, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x4ever

x4ever Newbie

Currency:
    Like i see some controversy's with Idols saying the n word due to lyrics in a song. I see a lot of american raps that include the word, so i'm assuming that it's okay for black people to say it. But why is it that non-black people are allowed? I'm genuinely curious? I mean, if we are all about "equality" shouldn't everyone be entitled to say it if it is okay to say it in the black community?

I'm so confused cx

btw I live in a very white area so idk this stuff

2. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    My belief is that black people are reclaiming negative N-word as something positive: N-word to. I don't see the second even as N-word cause it's seen as positive rather than racist and negative. That's how I have interpreted it at least- but then I'm not black person either so I don't know for sure.

#2 propanda, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  3. easyalyce

easyalyce Super Rookie

Currency:
    Fembot
    Well it depends.

Some blacks, like myself, do not a care who uses the "N-word" primarily because that word doesn't dictate my happiness or freedom the 21st century, so I simply let it go a long time ago, when I realize that no matter who uses that word in whatever context, I control my own destiny period, that word has no power over me. So now, I personally don't get offended when non blacks say it or sing it when covering songs, because I'm not emotionally attached to that word, I really really really could care less.

On the other hand, there are some blacks who are still offended by it in any context, for whatever reason they may have, and it's for that reason why non-blacks should refrain from saying it, unless you don't mind taking the chance at pissing people off.

#3 easyalyce, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  4. derpyfreesingle

Currency:
    Lurker
    IMO I think it's bad for anyone of any race to say it... People need to stop using words that are hurtful to others and stop trying to "change them into something positive." You can't put glitter on a rotten apple and say it's a good apple. It's still rotten. I have never said the N word and never will, though I was forced to hear it all the time growing up around my racist grandfather. If it's hurtful to me who isn't black, I can only imagine how hurtful it is to a black person that cares, though like easyalyce said some people don't care which is good. More power to ya, don't let it bother you. :)

5. xwhisperx

xwhisperx Leader

Currency:
    Derp Queen
    ^ This pretty Much.
    It is rare that anyone will use the orignal from of the N-word as it still has a bad history behind it, and is always used in a discrimatory way against black people. however the word 'nigga' still has certain traction with people, it all depends on the people your with and if they allow you use it. for here (UK), it basically replaced the word 'Brethren', which mean brother/friend, more associated with people in the black community (specifically with those carribean decent brethen is still used) or whom you are close to. Although is hardly used here anyway, more just younger generation slang and it's more an american thing and more publicized by certain hiphop artists.

#5 xwhisperx, Apr 3, 2016
    kefira14, emmy_loe and sicaranghae like this.
  6. chocho1080

chocho1080 Rookie

Currency:
    Student
    No one should use it no matter the race imo...

7. Aoki91

Aoki91 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Eating
    Its bad for none blacks the use the N word because the N word is a derogatory racial slur that's targeted only to blacks. Unlike ''B*tch, C*nt, Sl*ut or even the word f*g'' When blacks were forcefully taken from Africa and forced to work in the west for the white slave masters to build these countries majority of yall are living on they would be called the N word and any form of animal including monkey because they were not seen as humans they were only seen as property. Property like the chair in your living room or the pet you feed and take for walks. This word was used against blacks by European slave owners to demean and degrade them.

This is why its disrespectful and you would most likely get a beat down for saying it to a black person, or using it in general. Just like you would get a beat down for calling a Asian person Ch*nk.

8. Aoki91

Aoki91 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Eating
    It really surprises me that people are confused about discrimination against black people. But wholeheartedly understand it regarding Asians.

Because god forbid your fave Korean artist is mistaken for Chinese, god forbid westerners call your fave Korean idol any racially derogatory slur. Or post offensive comments under their youtube like ''ching chong'' or sum ignorant shiz.

But why cant we say the N word ? FOH.

i wonder what the world would be like if they liked black people as much as they liked black culture.

9. Valaena

Valaena Idol

Currency:
    Using a derogatory term against Asians is wrong, just like using a derogatory term against black people is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right.

mocochang likes this.
  10. sicaranghae

sicaranghae Rookie

Currency:
    jessica jung trash
    Because the n-word when used by non black people has a history of hundreds of years of oppresion behind it. Nowadays the word has been reclaimed by black people so that it takes the weight and the power away from it. We should all realize that we do not live in a vacuum and that everything has a social context, so obviously if a non black person uses this word even if they don't mean to hurt anyone, they're essentially perpetuating the racism in the word because that's the only context in which these words exist for their lack of negative experience with them. So as a non black person, they cannot simply contribute to the reclaiming of the word, because they had never had the experience of living in a social context where the word has been used as a slur against them, so it doesn't have any power to it, it's not a statement that can contribute to anything.

Besides that, it's really disrespectful that some people only listen to the opinions of black people when it's convenient to them. I know there's a lot of black people who have no problem with other people using the n-word, but the problem is that some people use that as a way to justify their actions, so they end up tokenizing their black friends. So yeah, I don't believe non black people should use that word no matter what the intention is. I can only speak from the point of view that concerns me, as a non black person, though. A lot of black people just don't use the word point blank and I don't think I or anyone who isn't black should be telling them what to do about that, but as far as it concerns me I believe we should all refrain from that and be as respectful as possible.

ihavemyownkey likes this.
  11. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    I don't think anyone should use it, including blacks, and here's why.

Non-blacks already are sensitized to not using the word, because of the long history of the negative use. Even an accidental uttering of the word brings immediate wrath from the black community. Nuff said about that...it is rarely heard anymore except in the rare deliberate racist way. Non-racist folks view it as offensive as most blacks do.

On the other hand.....blacks continuing to use the word just confuses the shit out of non-blacks. Many above mention that when it is used among blacks, it is a term of endearment, or brotherhood, or friendship. So non-blacks are very confused if they can use the term in the same way or not. I have personally seen non blacks use the word as a term of endearment, only to be jumped on by blacks as if they meant it in a racist way. It is just too easy to misunderstand, and too dangerous a term to try and figure out how to use correctly.

I suggest just stop using the word altogether and the misunderstandings could go away.

12. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    When it comes to song lyrics, I can't for the life of me figure out why it's so objectionable. I could sing along with Eminem's My Mom. "My mom love Valium and lots of drugs." My mom *doesn't* love Valium and lots of drugs. Nor do I, for that matter, and I wouldn't even accuse her of it, even as a joke (not because it's offensive but just because it wouldn't be an especially funny joke). When I sing along with the song, the context of the words still belongs to Eminem. They aren't suddenly my words. If I were quoting them in order to tell people that my mom loves Valium and lots of drugs, it would be, but when I'm singing the song, every bit of the context still belongs to Eminem and his mom. It's completely meaningless in regards to me. It's the same way when I'm reading out a quote in order to explain what someone said, like a Kanye West tweet. Whatever Kanye said isn't suddenly coming from me, it's still coming from him. I'm just telling you what he said. Again, I'm a meaningless pawn in the situation.

As for daily life, I'm not messing around with social politics today. Taking a day off, surprisingly. Just check which comments here I liked and you'll get the gist of my opinion.

13. mocochang

mocochang Celebrity

Currency:
    EXILE TRIBE trash ♥
    I very much agree with this. The word has a bad history attached to it and is very strongly seen as prejudice, therefore it should not be used, period. If some people use it as something trivial, then others will start to think it's ok to use it as well because it seems inoffensive, while it's not.

14. kodoku

kodoku Star

Currency:
    Maybe this is weird but I get offended by that word and I'm white and live in a really white country...I think it's because I don't look at the color of people's skin but just the fact that they're another living being like I am, so when you offend them over something unimportant that they can't and shouldn't change, I feel like you're a really crappy person who would probably offend me over anything too if that makes any sense. Idk I just hate hearing any word like that and think no one should use it.

Emileh likes this.
  15. Tellmeyoursone

Tellmeyoursone Celebrity

Currency:
    Nana's baebae
    Nothing of that is okay but if you'd know the meaning behind the n word, I don't think that you'd be using it since it has a horrible meaning. Have you not learned history??

#15 Tellmeyoursone, Apr 4, 2016
  16. Lotus_Girl

Lotus_Girl Rookie

Currency:
    Looking for job
    Where I'm from we don't learn that things of history .. they only teach us the history of our country

17. Tellmeyoursone

Tellmeyoursone Celebrity

Currency:
    Nana's baebae
    Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? But I still think that you should look up the meaning of the word, it honestly isn't something you should go around saying.

18. Tellmeyoursone

Tellmeyoursone Celebrity

Currency:
    Nana's baebae
    It obviously is otherwise people wouldn't get offended by it! -_-
    Of course they get offended when other people say it, it was and still is a bad word used by people back in time who thought that other people were less worthy, for examples slaves.

#18 Tellmeyoursone, Apr 4, 2016
  19. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    Rather than react to your comment, I'll just assume you actually don't know. Amazing...but I guess it's possible.

So, go read this.

Wiki is not always the best source, but in this case it is fairly accurate.

The term is probably the most offensive ethnic slur in the English language. There aren't enough words to describe how offensive this is.

although...I now am going to have to go find this movie mentioned on Wiki.... (1992) features black homosexual male aliens who commit gendercide to free the men of Earth from female oppression. The film follows a group of intergalactic homosexual black men from the planet Anus, who discover the presence of female creatures on planet Earth. Using rayguns, they proceed to eliminate females one by one from Earth, eliciting gratitude from the previously oppressed male population. Before leaving the planet, they leave behind a "Gay Ambassador" to educate the Earthlings about their new way of life." (I think this covers it all....get the popcorn)

Great reviews. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

#19 mkusa, Apr 4, 2016
  20. Valaena

Valaena Idol

Currency:
    You own ignorance of world history (yes, WORLD! I live in a country where slavery and American history are not part of the school curriculum, but I still fucking educated myself because that stuff is important) does not give you a free pass to go around a public forum (which has many people of color among its members) repeating a word that many have literally JUST stated that they find extremely offensive! What is wrong with you?

#20 Valaena, Apr 4, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.