Why is army so important to korean netizens?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by ninesoshi, Mar 13, 2019.

1. ninesoshi

ninesoshi Super Rookie

Currency:
    Any male idol that doesn’t want to enlist or escapes their enlistment by going to the US or else are ripped to shreds by korean netizens. Why do they receive so much hate from not wanting to go there? What’s so important about serving in the army for koreans? I never got why anyone would get so mad over someone’s choice...Koreans get fired up for such stupid things lmao.
    Discuss.

2. KirbyX

KirbyX In Your Area

Currency:
    It's the law of their land.
    No one is exempt as far as I know.

Kouss likes this.
  3. dong_ii

dong_ii Married to @mochichu

Currency:
    They're in the middle of a cold war and war can break out any moment with the North and they need as much manpower as possible

Every man counts

maruif likes this.
  4. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    Its not up to us to call it stupid. Their country is under intense amount of pressure politically. They have always been used and pillaged by the bigger empires in the region.

The only thing Ihat should change is that would take the sexist part out of it, if its a mandatory draft it should be required for all genders.

kgggg and Manoko like this.
  5. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    1) "If i had to do it, everyone has to"
    2) It's unfair if celebrities don't do it, but regular citizens have to.
    3) Patriotism + becoming proper man -ideology, serving your country as well as growing up with it.
    4) Threat of North Korea?

My country has mandatory service as well, but it's lot more relaxed than in Korea. Still many choose civil service instead and before the culture around military and civil service was that you had to go to military to do your duty to country and grow up from boy to man, civil service was looked really down and if you were a man that didn't go to military it was harder to get jobs. Nowadays people care lot less so it might change with Korea too eventually.

Plushieless and kgggg like this.
  6. Icaro_Ribeiro

Currency:
    Web Developer
    I guess military service now is just a way to control koreans citizens

Let's be honest, the last fight between North and South was over 50 years ago. Korea is not is state of war anymore

7. sandybee3

sandybee3 Trendsetter

Currency:
    It's their Law and they are in a cold war with North Korea

Also many don't want but they are forced so they get easily pissed if someone tries to dodge while they can't.

8. BarackOkarma

BarackOkarma Trendsetter

Currency:
    Satan's pet iguana
    I mean, in general I'm against people having to go to military and having no say in it, but it's the law and I'd be kind of pissed too if I had to go and a celebrity would get a free pass only because they are famous? You also have to take into consideration that North and South Koreas are not allies yet and the future is still unknown.

kgggg likes this.
  9. jimeous

jimeous Leader

Currency:
    The countries are currently in an Armistice so War can break out at any moment, neither country have shown signs that they are relaxing their military strength.

10. MC_Kpop

MC_Kpop Rookie

Currency:
    Not entirely true, North Korea always threaten to send missile bomb even these couple years. It always an ongoing political problem. Given they technically live on the same land just side by side to each other.
    South Korean also afraid of being invaded by Japan again. (which is one of the most traumatic memory in their history) I have Korean friend they are taught from childhood that there is potential Japan will invade them again as Japan located in tectonic zone that has a lot of natural disaster and finding opportunities to get their lands. And they indeed has ongoing fight about the occupancy of some territories.

They has a lot of ongoing political problems while they are not that big as a country with limited resources. Compulsory military training is to secure their own country.

jimeous likes this.
  11. inluvOT7

inluvOT7 Super Rookie

Currency:
    They public doesn't like seeing wealthy or influential people using their status to get out of it when the average man can't.

12. DoveTT

DoveTT Newbie

Currency:
    For someone who is into Kpop you sure look down on Korea from this comment. It's their law, every male has to enlist, many countries like Israel have mandatory enlistment. It's a duty to your country. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean you get to downplay how important it is to others. It's embarrassing seeing people say shit like this.

jimeous likes this.
  13. Kouss

Kouss Super Rookie

Currency:
    In this exact order tbh.

I don’t wanna down play the threat of North Korea, but it has a lot more to do with societal expectations and fairness than actually fighting/defending NK. NK has been in self-preservation mode more than “We hate SK” mode for awhile now. I feel like the general public also understand this and care about celebrities going just to show that no one is above serving/protecting their country.

propanda and Plushieless like this.