why i mostly prefer jpop idols over kpop idols

Discussion in 'J-POP' started by katahtattat, Jul 29, 2017.

1. katahtattat

Currency:
    disclaimer: this is mainly girl group focused based on my observations

it's also a little long.

1. more relatable easier to "believe"
    okay we all know the idol persona isn't the real person, but when the idol spends years living behind a wall being trained in who knows what, i have a hard time suspending disbelief. Compare that to idols that stay in the real world when not "working" it's just easier to connect with that for me.

2. jpop idols individually make more of an effort to connect with fans.

this is obviously based on averages,
    while the growing trend amongst while kpop idols seem to filter things through corporate\company social media accounts more and more, , jpop idols look to add a more personal touch. there literally isn't anytime of day i can't find a jpop idol(s) streaming from her bedroom, karaoke, riding a bike with a go pro (it's actually kinda cool to get a first person view point of where an idol you like is traveling) then add on the many that blog regularly. you don't just get the pictures, but well thought out writings over a variety of topics.

3. next level interactions\support

while kpop fans flip out over idols exchanging glances, jpop idols from different groups even companies regularly hang out and conversate. Remember when a few Onces made a big deal about a few jpop idols showing support for Twice? What they know is idols supporting other acts they like is pretty regular. remember the blogs i mentor earlier? reading an account of a fav fangirling over the concert of another fav is something else

4. variety of idol personalities
    nothing much to say, but the variety with jpop idols makes kpop idols all look like clones. the few outliers in kpop would fit right in jpop. the extremes of jpop would never even be considered in kpop.

5. variety of concepts
    this might be the biggest reason for me. from give you cavities cuteness to hardcore you're probably going to get hurt at a show. jpop idols pretty much do it all. 2 things i like are there isn't a concept that won't be tried, and girls audition for groups. This means they at least have a general idea of what they're going in for. idols\Groups with "sexy" images have a little bit of a choice.

performances
    this might be unfair because i focus on very few groups here, but jpop gg energy levels are in another league.

i could go on, but i don't want to

PopPunkIsNotDead, Iewwa and xwhisperx like this.
  2. Serge

Serge Trainee

Currency:
    Nah, kpop is much better.

You talk about jpop artists being more "relatable" and having "better interaction with the fans", when it's exactly the opposite, kpop idols promote their songs a lot more, they go on TV shows, games, etc, they have a strong social media presence, they update their twitter, facebook, instagram accounts, etc. Jpop idols do nothing of the sort

You talk about more musical variety, but all the jpop girl groups i've heard are cavities inducing cute. I'm talking strictly about gg jpop, not j-rock or anime music (those are good). The girls behave like they have a growing up disorder, it's like doing a sexy concept is banned or something, I mean look at AKB48 (and what's up with so many groups named as if they were chemical agents or something, HKT48, NM48, etc)

Kpop idols are much more skilled in their craft, they have to train extremely hard for years just to debut, compare the best idols of both industries and you'll find a big gap in singing and dancing skills

and tbh, I like the competition and confrontation between artists and between fandoms in kpop, it makes things more interesting, it's one of the reasons kpop fans are prone to show more loyalty. kpop fans are very loyal to their biases or favorite groups, they can even go crazy at times, no wonder the kpop fanbase is 100x stronger and more supportive than the jpop fanbase.

Meloverse likes this.
  3. babysakura

babysakura Super Rookie

Currency:
    You talk about personalities and interactions with fans etc. but don't we like these idols firstly for their music? I listen to jpop sometimes and I enjoy it, but you have to admit there is a big difference in level of musical skill compared to kpop idols.

Of course, you have your opinion and if you like jpop idols better no one will tell you not to lol :p

Icy68446 and Meloverse like this.
  4. MirajaneAlpha22

MirajaneAlpha22 Super Rookie

Currency:
    I feel like it's the opposite.

5. katahtattat

Currency:
    that's because kpop fans are tribal and care little about kpop music

remember kpop fans lose their shit over something like Dreamcatcher, which would be just another jpop idol group.

this is the most popular new gen jpop group.

i don't think any new gen kpop group really compares

is this cute?

the live

is there a kpop gg that has that type of energy.

or this passion on the stage

of course i can add several cute groups, but you have heard those
    there is literally no mainstream musical genre not being done by jpop idols. there is no concept not tried

they do all this plus more it's not even close
    and no jpop idol communicates with fans through a company account.

PopPunkIsNotDead likes this.
  6. katahtattat

Currency:
    well when it comes to dancing insync in a box kpop idols are better.

i give charisma, energy, stage presence to jpop idols

7. katahtattat

Currency:
    in what way?

8. Not_interested

Not_interested Super Rookie

Currency:
    Jobless shit
    Jpop never appealed to me, Jrock rocks.

9. katahtattat

Currency:
    then lets play a fun game

i will pick 3 videos of my favorites that represent various musical discplines, and you find three videos that show a huge gap

1. dancing
    rehearsal only

2. singing
    true live performance only

3 instrumental live performance

10. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    I am absolutely not a cavity fan but, I have to admit, as a full blown gg Jrock and Jjazz fan, there are indeed a couple of Jpop gg's that are so far out there, that they become very interesting.......in sort of a 'what did I just watch?' kind of way. .

Necronomidal is heavy metal backing, with idol-like stage presence. (plus...Sari is gorgeous)

Alice Project/Kamenjoshi is more of a traditional idol group.....with hockey masks, chain saws, and blades.

Momoiro Clover Z....always surprises.

..and this bizarre group. DotsTokyo is just fun to observe.

I think the statement about Jpop idol groups being more diverse than Kpop groups holds, with just these few examples.

BTW @katahtattat........never put Band-Maid in the same sentence as Jpop. They are purely organic Jrock, writing and playing their own tunes. Scandal may straddle that fence, but not Band-Maid.

#10 mkusa, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  11. katahtattat

Currency:
    i know band maid isn't pop, but their gimmick is so idolish i thought somebody had put them together.

12. Serge

Serge Trainee

Currency:
    I'm seeing some interesting things in this thread. That band of creepy schoolgirls, kyeazakantana46 or whatever sounds pretty good, i'll have to listen more of them.

Ok, maybe jpop ain't limited to cutesy concepts like AKB48 and Perfume, then again I'm no jpop expert. And some bands posted here as examples of how varied jpop is, are definetly not jpop. That band Bish has some good tunes and I agree they're not very cute, but they're not jpop at all. more like j-punk/j-rock hybrid? Don't mix up things. And even if there's more variety in jpop compared to kpop, that doesn't mean there's more quality or more talent.

Ok, these girls are very good, not your run of the mill jpop dancers definetly

but they cant match this

or this.

These girls learnt pole dancing, the hardest type of dance there is, just to perform one song. that's the level of professionalism and effort you only find in kpop idols.

Huge gap shown in 1..2..3

I'd like to point out how Sistar not only has absolutely better, more powerful live vocals, but they can sing while performing sexy choreos on high heels. Jpop cant compete with this

You want live passion? emotion? astounding vocals? check this out.

kpop slays and stomps again

Ok, pop idols don't have an obligation of playing instruments to begin with, and you're posting a j-rock band so that's cheating. I'll still leave you with a live performance of my favourite gg playing instruments

Jpop is pretty good and I'll have to research more and listen more of it, but kpop is still king

13. katahtattat

Currency:

i don't question the talent of kpop for what it does. it's just for me what it does is the same thing over and over.

my responses to your challenge responses

i won't argue with the dancing because i like the girlfriend choreography,

sorry but your sistar performance not only wasn't a true live (tv music shows aren't true live performances) it wasn't better. i mean that one person handling most of the singing is good

it isn't better than this either

your example of kpop passion is a highlight video which kinda proves my point

by the way i agree about after school and the pole dancing absolutely amazing learning something like that

one more challenge kinda

show me the current kpop groups like this

i am missIng them

babydoll23 likes this.
  14. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    I'll throw in a few more thoughts on this, to support Kat's original premise.

Yes, Kpop gg's are much more polished, practiced, synchronous, and have better vocals....but....they all are at this level, as they have been in dungeons practicing for 5-10 years before debut. Kpop is also indentured servitude. Diversity is not really there much, and I found that most were beginning to sound alike a few years ago......you couldn't tell who it was, on a new song, if your weren't looking.

Again, not all Jpop groups are cavities. There are several that are the same basic performance concept as Kpop gg's but more diverse in their sound:

E-Girls

Predia

TPD

Happiness

Dream

....to name a few.

I suppose the biggest popularity difference is that Kpop tries harder to promote worldwide. Jpop doesn't really care as they have enough domestic business to do just fine, and really doesn't promote much outside Japan media. This was discussed in another topic.

#14 mkusa, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  15. polca

polca Super Rookie

Currency:
    why not like both? There are badly made idols and great ones in both industries. there are groups that fit the mould, challenge the mould, and transform the mould. korean music might be more trend based but its not like there were never unique groups. Its 2017, who the hell still dismisses a whole subgroup based on inconsistent theories and subjective archtypes? Hello???? Just like what u like and stop trying to segregate an already divided concept like music and performers

evee127, PopPunkIsNotDead and may1889 like this.
  16. katahtattat

Currency:
    i do
    my stated preference is a broad one, but i agree there are good and bad in both

17. fightingsone

fightingsone Super Rookie

Currency:
    That'd be insane. Then we'd have nothing to fight over and no one would be the best & better than the rest.

ohohcollinBB, may1889 and polca like this.
  18. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

Currency:
    Damn....how did we not mention FEMM????

or Charisma.com

...maybe 2 doesn't count as a 'group'.

#18 mkusa, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  19. polca

polca Super Rookie

Currency:
    -gasp- then some people might not have something to use as a tool of power too. Ohhh nooo

20. katahtattat

Currency:
    your statement makes no sense