Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Why do some kpop fans say that kpop music is better than American Music?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by crayforchicken, May 6, 2017.

1. crayforchicken

crayforchicken Entertainer

I totally understand there being a lot of profanity and women objectification in Music videos, but that portion (which negatively impacts people and needs to stop) isn't the majority of American Music. I love kpop very much but I never understood why many kpop fans then go to say that kpop music surpasses American Music when ironically, most kpop music (98% of it) is westernized. This is not throwing shade at the people who totally dislike American music (that's your preference) but I've always wanted to know why people look down on American Music so much when it has influenced so many of the groups we love in kpop.

2. KoShinwon

KoShinwon Artist

I'm not saying one or the other is better, but American music is missing quite a few of the fun aspects of Kpop.

3. crayforchicken

True

4. borabora_97

borabora_97 Artist

for me its the production value/quality!! i find many american pop songs lacking a deeper sound and kpop usually has very well crafted songs in comparison!!

an example is that taemin added a few different instrumental layers to a bruno mars song in order to create his title track press your number, and the result was a much deeper and richer sound in the song, with a harder bass hit and generally fuller tone

5. NovaLuna

NovaLuna Artist

For me it's not about the music but about the performance. Kpop groups put so much effort into stage preparation and choreographies while american artists do nothing but stand in the same place. What is worse is when an american/western group members move to their own beat - it looks really cheap.
    Also Kpop actually train for their debut in singing, dancing and overall performance while any idiot can become popular in America with a shitty song and below average vocals.

#5 NovaLuna, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  6. crayforchicken

Beyoncé, Bruno mars, Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Rihanna have amazing stage presence and vocals tho. They may not do the most intense dance moves but you can't deny that they are amazing performers.

7. NovaLuna

NovaLuna Artist

Sorry, but Beyonce and Rihanna are overrated, imo. And I'm not talking about the stage presence, because yes, a lot of western artists have that - you really need to have that to make it big. I am talking only about the performance and choreography. Western artists (not all, but clearly the majority) really lack that.

Kireta, TPay15, Soohyeyoo and 2 others like this.
  8. seungriseyo

seungriseyo Artist

the hard choreos and lightsticks are like sort of unique to kpop but the music....... i really cant tell the difference anymore tbh
    i mean there are songs here and there that are unique cough cough red velvet cough cough but...
    idk i can find tons of american songs that resemble kpop hits the only difference is the language

Soohyeyoo, jaehyunnn, magito and 2 others like this.
  9. devilinblack1

I will not say American music but only american pop music... I don't like it..anytype of Rock song is my ultimate jam...but I like KPOP songs very much don't know why

#9 devilinblack1, May 6, 2017
    deadflagblues and magito like this.
  10. Yabie

Yabie Star

through lots of variety shows/vlives/behind the scenes and stuff i connect with korean groups/artists a bit more than with american ones so thats why i probably like them more. its not just about music but also about them as people.
    and kpop mv's are just so much better quality than american ones
    but anyhow i dont really "discriminate" cuz i listen to both

11. Belgian_ELF

Let's say that I used to like Apop, but the current music doesn't interest me anymore... It's not my style...
    Besides, I spend my free time in keeping up with my bias groups, so I don't have that much contact anymore with Apop

FranF45 and Sonehyun like this.
  12. kzrn_nrzk

kzrn_nrzk Artist

I think they're sounding more and more alike nowadays... the only difference is that I can't understand the lyrics to begin with LOLOLOL

Apart from that, kpop idols just seem so much more likeable and humble but that's just my opinion.

prisxcilla, alt829 and devilinblack1 like this.
  13. MonbebeX

MonbebeX Artist

For me it's the amazing combination of rap + vocals (and those choreos dayum..) . I always loved songs like "airplanes(b.o.b.) ft hayley williams i think)" "monster (eminem / rihanna)" and so on.. and kpop gives that to me :)

14. mafiea

mafiea Trainee

Beyonce is noisy

15. The_tru_th

The_tru_th Super Rookie

Cause they know nothing about it, they may prefer one over the other but in no way Kpop, which is basically a copy of american music, is better.
    heck many Kpop fansdon't even listen to it and they have the guts to bash it lol
    As someone who follow both, American pop is way better, objectively speaking

#15 The_tru_th, May 6, 2017
  16. crowboy

crowboy Star

because.... preference

17. The_tru_th

The_tru_th Super Rookie

Ofc he did, he had to change it in a way, if not it would sound the same lol
    and was Taemin the one who did that and wasn't helped by professional producers at all?

Beyonce is not overrated at all, and you can't compare at all, while Kpop idols focus on the choreo that makes them lipsnc most of the time, western artists focus on vocals, and let's not act like Kpop idols are all perfect, many of them lack a lot of talent

18. The_tru_th

The_tru_th Super Rookie

I don't think Kpop mv have better quality, they're ok, most of the time they're literally filmed in boxes, really nothing that outstanding.

For what you first said i have to burst a bubble, not everybody is into the fandom culture like Kpop fans are usually into, majority of people listen to the music for the music not to get emotionally attached to the atrists, ain't everybody got time for that LOL, as you grow older you'll understand, there are people who get emotionally attached to a said artists and just because you prefer the cute idols and toknow everything about them doesn't mean they're more 'real' than western artists, like seriously? they even admitted that themselves that the company create a kind of image they're supposed to follow to entertain fans and fullfil their fantasies, like some Kpop fans except western artists to be like Kpop idols but really?
    to have little to no privacy, to not speak their minds, to be 'innocent and pure', look at Kpop idols, they have freaking dating scandals, Kpop idols are so manufactured to keep up this fake show for not losing their populairty that they barely have any freedom, sorry but some Kpop fans need a reality check.
    Many of the western artists are really passionate about what they do just because you focus on the bad ones doesn't everyone is like that, and Kpop idols can be very fake for the sake of their populairty, please the Kpop industry is manufactured af.

#18 The_tru_th, May 6, 2017
    ancor, Buddy25, LuciferSir and 3 others like this.
  19. _Yeri

_Yeri Artist

Because their opinion is that Kpop is better?

TPay15 and persona1418 like this.
  20. The_tru_th

The_tru_th Super Rookie

Ar you serious? We're in 2017 and after all this time y'all still say such laughable thing?

Western artists focus on singing, because that's what a singer is supposed to do, they don't want idols who lipsync most of the time to be able ti dance and please train a lot? The irony, have you seen TWICE? And majority of other Kpop froups who have 0 talent? The title IDOL says it all, stop it with the hypocrisy, majority of idols are untalented, i can point useless members in literally every group, i've been a Kpop since 2011 you ain't fooling anyone really, even with all the training they still barely can sing LOL