Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Why do people talk more about Wendy's weight/visuals more than her talent/music?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Teshubs_Irene, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Teshubs_Irene

That's not to say people don't bring up Wendy as the "best female vocalist of the generation". But in comparison very little is said about the artistic aspect of her in comparison to how much mass she has or how she looks like superficially.

Obviously one of them is her real strength but it's sort of secondary to her.

2. RichSavior

RichSavior Trainee

Flop nctzen
    Bc those things aren't highlighted

3. Theo35

Theo35 Public Figure

if i open my mouth about the reason, this thread will be a mess

4. Teshubs_Irene

Not really

Weight is always a "touchy" issue, especially among the female demographic. And visuals is really the job of Irene, then Joy and Yeri. But I see more talked about Wendy's visuals than Yeri's. Heck, I see more talk about Yeri and music than I see Wendy and music

5. Leean_Taeyong

Soon to be employed! Anticipate!!!
    What’s the reason

Teshubs threads always end up messy just say it

Theo35 likes this.
  6. Inactive

Inactive Icon

Wendy isn’t the only idol to be judged this way

7. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Public Figure

I don't get the whole visual hole thing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

she's pretty and she can sing well, but yes, it does get overshadowed by other things

8. Zenning

Zenning Rookie

It's not so much about Wendy and weight, and more about new kpop news and changes that kpop fans like to talk about.

Especially when weight fluctuates much that it gets noticed like in the case of Wendy, people'll talk about it.
    But the same would happen if she'd post a great live on her instagram or when she'd sing a false note in her performance, or when she'd look like a potato sack fashion wise in airport pictures, people'd talk about it => changes from the usual, and new stuff.

Also not specifically only Wendy: Joy was talked about a lot too when her looks/body proportions improved significantly in Peekaboo/Bad Boy times, but also when Joy gained weight and looked puffier.
    Same goes for other kpop idols when their looks or weight changes noticeably, and so on.

And yeah, when it's about looks and weight, there'll be more talk about it when related to girl idols than boy idols.

9. samael

samael Newbie

cause it is what sets her apart from her group,for some people, in a negative way, and people like to point out the negative attributes of a member they like to hate on.

10. mirella

mirella Married to @Silverfang719

rap enthusiast
    People who judge her based on looks and weight alone are rather shallow. It's a shame because she's a talented vocalist but that's all they can focus on.

But this happens to many idols; the K-pop industry is visual-focused after all.

11. Suzan

Suzan Memorable

EXO's Mama
    Because this is K-Pop and visuals are a more important topic here than talent.
    If talent was more important than looks, we would have more than 1 talent based group somewhere near the top. But the top groups are almost all groups that people mention for their looks more than anything else. This is something that happens with almost all female idols too. K-Pop as a whole is just too focused on visuals.

zetsuioi likes this.
  12. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Legend

Astronaut
    I acknowledge her strength in technique and she is one of the top singers of her generation but she is not versatile in her vocal style or she has not had a chance to showcase it.
    Time to give her more solo collabs.

13. Teshubs_Irene

More solo collabs aka more boring ballads.

If she made an album of English song covers it might do better

14. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Legend

Astronaut
    I specifically she needs to show more versatility

15. abigailaudrey

abigailaudrey Trainee

Since when do kpop really care about talent. They will realize talent after you get insult and you still going to prove your talent. Look at how many people insult big bang at first. I think they are very talented but at that time they are not as popular as now because they don't have korean standard beauty. It the same thing in RV. People always look at irene, eventhough wendy has briliant voice people would only sleep.

16. VaginaEradicator

Because idols are supposed to be good looking and she is the opposite of that. She looks like an Overweight chimpmunk + she is a racist asshole and There you have it

17. Theo35

Theo35 Public Figure

well, top group from 2nd and 3rd generation (boy and girl) rarely praised for vocal (snsd not included). but my princess wendy is beautiful and fuckin talented.

18. Theo35

Theo35 Public Figure

try again, this wont trigger reveluv. at least she didnt jugde body weigh and called someone an asshole

19. bangmenah

bangmenah Notable

House wife
    But like... what do you even mean? She’s done so many types of songs with her vocals....

20. bangmenah

bangmenah Notable

House wife
    The only way you’re eradicating a vagina is by your disgusting mouth making them literally shrivel away