NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

Who makes better plot?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JaeKhayeCee, Aug 16, 2016.

?

Who makes stories that are more interesting for you?

1. Asian Writers

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Western Writers

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. JaeKhayeCee

JaeKhayeCee Public Figure

Currency:
    By better, I didn't mean one is lesser than the other but which writers make the mind-blowing and most interesting plots for you? Stories that are more your taste? (This is just out of curiosity because one of my friends kept telling me that American TV shows are better than Kdrama and I wonder what your thoughts are on this. He's an anime fan though.)

Western writers
    (think Hollywood films, TV series, and novels)
    or
    Asian writers
    (think Anime, manga/webtoon, and Kdrama)​

2. Taeri

Taeri Legend

Currency:
    MD
    you can't but anime and K-drama in the same category !!! two different worlds :3

strawberryberry, USSR and doe_eye like this.
  3. JaeKhayeCee

Currency:
    To help you think: I don't know much about Western films and shows. I do know there's Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Titanic, Pixar films (because they're all good) and your many superhero films. Anyway, you know a lot more than I do. Then there's Death Note, Code Geass, Clannad, Full Metal Alchemist, etc. for anime and then W, DOTS, Healer, and your usual romance fest for Kdrama.

LovelySerenity likes this.
  4. AutumnalCyanide

AutumnalCyanide Trainee

Currency:
    Making theories on everything BTS does
    THIS

5. JaeKhayeCee

Currency:
    AHAHAHA. Best of both worlds then?

6. ImDaOne

ImDaOne Married to: @Elizabeth_Xin

Currency:
    this is an unnecesarily long post lmao, read the last parts only if u want lol.

well, to start for, if someone is ever to compare, you can't stereotype any of the above mentioned
    if we're gonna say anime/manga we can't think only about shonen
    i we're gonna say kdrama/kmovie we can't think only about romcom
    same on the western side
    we can't say TV Series and think only of stuff like Doctor Who
    we can't say Western Movies and think only about shet like The Hunger Games

In anime and manga we have masterpieces like Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Ghost In The Shell, Legend Of The Galactic Heroes
    and more commercial yet still genius works like Steins; Gate, Clannad, Code Geass, FullMetal Alchemist, Death Note and Liar Game

In Kmovies there is stuff like The Brotherhood Of War, The Admiral: Roaring Currents, Ode To My Father, Miracle in Cell no.7
    in Jmovies we have...literally every Studio Ghibli movie
    In Kdramas and JDramas we have a lot of stuff as well but i don't follow them that much and there is too many to mention, but i know they are usually good regardless of how commercialized they are. And non-romantic stuff, although less popular is just as good or even better than most of the trendy works
    There is a shet ton of Chinese movies, specially Hong Kong cinema
    Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia have made a couple of extremely well done movies as well

My favorite stories ever are written by Asians, so it's not weird to hear me saying that i think East-Asians make better plots
    Stories like the Metal Gear Solid game series, Corpse Party (The game, anime barely has any story), Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, LOTGH, FMA, Code Geass, The Kmovies i mentioned as well are some of my favorite ones, and i love Studio Ghibli as well

I obviously don't hate western works but we're at the point where 99% of the stuff coming out are badly recycled plots, cliche-fests, and overly commercial stuff. Some still survive though, there is always a couple of novels, games, movies and series that are to my appeal, but they are very few.

And evn if we have all that in the Asian industry as well, it's not even nearly at the same scale of mess that the western industry has come to be.

#6 ImDaOne, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  7. AutumnalCyanide

AutumnalCyanide Trainee

Currency:
    Making theories on everything BTS does
    Ghibli Yasssssss

8. EstherElectra

EstherElectra Newbie

Currency:
    Probably somewhere dancing
    I read that as "Who makes better pot"

9. mamamoobts

mamamoobts Super Rookie

Currency:
    full-time MooMoo + Army
    idk personally i think a LOT of the plots in korean dramas r relly cliche (ofc not all)
    sooo for better plot, i would choose western writers (?)
    but tbh i watch a lot more korean stuff xD

10. strawberryberry

Currency:
    I can't choose, honestly. Especially because you can't simply oppose american plots against asian plots. Asian cinema/tv is way more richer and can't be sum up by "Anime, manga/webtoon, and Kdrama". Each country has it own style. You got India, Thailand, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China. You got RomCom, Drama, Thriller, Horror, Comedy, Indie, Action, Historical, Bollywood...

JaeKhayeCee likes this.
  11. USSR

USSR Rookie

Currency:
    Kdramas, are better, why? Because they have realism to which i can relate to, more than western.

Lotus_Shang likes this.
  12. yupitsme

yupitsme Rookie

Currency:
    They're mostly equal for me. I love manga, webtoons, and American comics; I dislike TV dramas for the most part; popular movies can be a hit or miss with me, no matter which country they're from.
    The only things I can willingly choose are Western novels - since those translated from a foreign language don't tend to flow well - and Asian animated films - since they tend to be more imaginative.
    There are gems in every category and more diverse writing teams anyway so...yeah can't choose :p

JaeKhayeCee likes this.
  13. Lotus_Shang

Lotus_Shang Rookie

Currency:
    Asian writers all the way.
    What I really love about Kdramas/Kmovies is that the writers always write an ending of every single character in the plot. Even the minor characters. They end all the stories very nicely and detailed and I love how they usually skip a few years in time too and give us more insight on the characters.

In Hollywood movies and dramas there are way too many plot holes. And sometimes the minor character's and even main character's stories are never completed. We are just left hanging most of the time. And the stories are so unrealistic most of the time. In Hollywood if a character is poor, he still has expensive clothes on and make-up even if they are going through a difficult time. But in Asian dramas, if a character is poor they really are dressed in rags and have messy hair and they cry with their boogers leaking out.

Draft saved Draft deleted