Who is the true flag bearer of the first hallyu wave in Japan

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Armedryu, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Armedryu

Armedryu Super Rookie

Currency:
    According to Japan's Oricon chart these 8 K-Pop groups are the best-selling acts in Japan (AS OF JULY 2019)
    1. TVXQ 9,889,000+ sales
    2. BoA 8,127,000+ sales
    3. BTS 3,942,000+ sales
    4. KARA 3,877,000+ sales
    5. Girl's Generation 3,671,000+ sales
    6. TWICE. 2,803,000+ sales.
    7. BIGBANG. 2,486,000+ sales.
    8. SHINee. 2,163,000+ sales.
    Source: Koreaboo

I always wonder why SNSD is the only kpop group/girlgroup that their fans claim to revive hallyu wave in Japan for the second generation. Label mates, TVXQ and BoA plays a huge role. KARA is barely mentioned and both are supposed to be mentioned together as their Japanese debut start around the same time, end up statistically having the same impact on kpop in Japan. Arent all these claims were because of international biased?

I am not going to hide my intention. This thread is hugely inspired by Twice vs SNSD thread we see yesterday. I am ashamed but had to admit that had Goo Hara accident not happened, I would not had realized KARA's impact in Japan but it should be the older generation's duty to teach us, younger and newer kpop fans the proper history. This is just a mere statistics so what I want to know once and for all is the true history as to who is the pioneer of the first hallyu wave in Japan? Please tell me the truth.

#1 Armedryu, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    litc, GDXT, JinWifeu and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lubby00

Lubby00 Icon

Currency:
    Sugar for starting it

TVXQ & Boa for making it start with high success

KARA & SNSD for solidifying it

Twice for reviving + revamping it

3. whateverwonwoo

whateverwonwoo Celebrity

Currency:
    boa and tvxq are irreplaceable legends

litc, Zsh, Lisaaaaa and 11 others like this.
  4. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

every time second gen fans opened their mouth, new fans tell them boomers to shut up
    now people wondering?
    whelp

I say, Kara peaks in Japan was the biggest for a korean gg
    still not topped

litc, bloodkonic, Lisaaaaa and 10 others like this.
  5. myaza

myaza Celebrity

Currency:
    Kara and SNSD.

BoA was alone and preceived as almost Japanese. TVXQ had no GP relevance. Kara and SNSD were all over Japanese TV and had huge public appeal for a while, kickstarting the actual wave.

Kara´s achievements being buried shows how important having a big company is. Since DSP has become irrelevant, SM has been able to drive the narrative, attributing all the success to their groups.

litc, hopeonthestreet and Armedryu like this.
  6. hitomoshi

hitomoshi Super Rookie

Currency:
    Probably cause SNSD is more popular worldwide compared to Kara, BoA, TVXQ etc. A lot of people forget how popular Kara was :(

7. perpetualpotato

Currency:
    I'd say TVXQ probably started it all? BoA kinda went undercover during the peak of female J-soloist popularity, a lot of people didn't even realize she was Korean :D Not to say she hasn't had an effect because she clearly has, simply that she blended in well in the beginning.
    Kara sadly gets forgotten often, many fans don't remember or simply weren't there for their peak and since SNSD continued being presented as the top group, it was easy to remember them. Both groups worked hard to introduce more of the Korean music scene into the general consensus.
    I gotta say, I'm a sone and pretty averse to conflict so these once x sone fanwar threads we see popping up are getting to me a bit. It's always the same people fanning the flames too. Can we just... not?

8. harambeisalive

harambeisalive Super Rookie

Currency:
    Why not both Boa and TVXQ? Both had an influence, no need to single one over the other.

As for SNSD and Kara it was ALWAYS known it was both of them, literally by kpop fans back then. Anyone who talks about hallyu in Japan mentions them for starting it. It's new fans that ignore Kara.

As for old fans "teaching" new fans that hardly works out mainly because new fans don't give a crap out fire back with old timer rebuttals. Hell I've seen fans downplay SNSD in Japan (and in general) despite their massive impact.

litc likes this.
  9. Armedryu

Armedryu Super Rookie

Currency:
    I think BTS will never be forgotten. It is probably more about international success hence it is always SNSD mentioned most of the time out of the four groups.

10. Armedryu

Armedryu Super Rookie

Currency:
    When I was lurking here two years ago with no account, I was under the illusion that SNSD is the one and only

That is probably true. We love our boomer memes.

Lulu_Key likes this.
  11. mimi-l

mimi-l Trainee

Currency:
    tvxq & boa discussion over

litc and teehee2020 like this.
  12. myaza

myaza Celebrity

Currency:
    Well, hopefully:) I have no idea how the Kara/SNSD era was in kpop fandom, if they saw them as equal and why noone remembers Kara, I can only speculate. But from jpop perpective they were equally big, maybe Kara was even bigger and they fizzled out at the same time, when the kpop backlash happened. So its very strange to see this narrative of TVXQ/SNSD being the main flag bearers for Japan.

Its will be interesting to see how people will remember Twice/BTS and the second Japanese hallyu wave. I think Twice has way more GP relevance, like Kara/SNSD did and BTS is more like TVXQ, more fandom based.

Armedryu likes this.
  13. Lubby00

Lubby00 Icon

Currency:
  14. Reclaimer

Reclaimer Public Figure

Currency:
    Documentary of SNSD during their Hallyu wave in Japan:

Documentary of SNSD in Japan after K-pop was boycotted from 2011-2013:

These will probably be taken down, so send me a message if you need a download link,

Also if someone can link a chart of the most popular girl groups in Japan over the years, I saw one where it included percentages for fandom power and general public perception or something like that

#14 Reclaimer, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  15. harambeisalive

harambeisalive Super Rookie

Currency:
    There are a few big reasons why Kara isn't remembered as much as SNSD: their contract dispute where DSP publicly pitted the girls against each other, the infamous radio star ep which almost singlehandedly ruined their rep in Korea, songs not doing as well, 2 members left etc. Basically it was the usual kpop gg going through troubles, affects most other groups.

#15 harambeisalive, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Armedryu likes this.
  16. Kouss

Kouss Super Rookie

Currency:
    Its weird seeing TVXQ, even though i know they have been crazy big in japan and i think doing better than BoA currently, I thought history always remembered BoA as the one to start the hallyu wave in japan.

Armedryu likes this.
  17. Aki06

Aki06 Trendsetter

Currency:
    BoA and Younha made it happen
    Everyone know BoA. Little do people know about Younha. Who went to Japan music industry which is dominated by the time. They name her Oricon Comet

Armedryu likes this.
  18. Aki06

Aki06 Trendsetter

Currency:
    If you don't know who Younha is... You are in real treat.. Her song was in big anime

bloodkonic and Armedryu like this.
  19. ripiasuju

ripiasuju Icon

Currency:
    Tvxq and kara

Armedryu and TwiceSone like this.
  20. Armedryu

Armedryu Super Rookie

Currency:
    Surprised I dont know her. TVXQ and BoA at some point also sing songs for big anime especially TVXQ. Most people would not even realized they are kpop singers. Hence why I also wonder if they were falsely considered as jpop artists, are they (BoA, TVXQ, Younha) actually the flag bearer of kpop more than KARA and SNSD who probably have way bigger GP support and make people in Japan, interested in kpop.