What's This RED VELVET Is Cute Business?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, Nov 26, 2017.

1. katahtattat

Currency:
    their red side definitely has cuteness in it. they just mix it with other things

soshilovelife and emanresu like this.
  2. anaaaaah

anaaaaah Rookie

Currency:
    RV definitely have their own flavor, and I'm living for it.
    Cute, devious, sexy or otherwise. :waterr:

emanresu and soshilovelife like this.
  3. anat4ever

anat4ever Celebrity

Currency:
    shortest AKP user
    I'm telling you all this cute but....cute and...cute with... means "off-cute"
    like off-white isn't white, but it is sort of
    or maybe cute-ish
    Definitely not straight up cute though

emanresu, JunsuK and soshilovelife like this.
  4. soshilovelife

Currency:
    Would you elaborate on the cute concept? I do believe Red Velvet is taking cute elements and twisting them to fit their concept. Peekabo might not be cute but musically it moves on the border of the cute side at some points but then some notes included at the right moment save it from falling into the cute hole.

But I'm not versed in cute maybe you can share some expertise with me :) (we seriously need more emojis, I like this one too)

emanresu, anat4ever and JunsuK like this.
  5. Johnny_Blaze

Johnny_Blaze Rookie

Currency:
    Okay let me just...

Skip to 16:57 mark, Irene couldn't say it better herself. Yes, Red Velvet can be cute sometimes, but they don't do it intentionally like plenty of other groups. If you're talking discography wise, RV is definitely not cute. If i were going for cute, I wouldn't go with RV's albums.

EDIT: Their albums usually never stay in one genre, they mix a lot of stuff in that just somehow works. The keyword with RV is concept, and not cute

6. JunsuK

JunsuK Super Rookie

Currency:
    Wizard
    I agree with this, the music always seems to have some cutesy and childish type elements to it which aren't bad but it just turned me off to some of RV's music.
    I think the issue is that the red side is cute/youthful, and the two comebacks prior to Peekaboo were cute so many just see the Red. Red Flavour was definitely cute to me, Rookie was sugary cute to me, I wouldn't really call RV completely quirky but like a blend of quirky and trendy (thats not a bad thing). Peekaboo seemed more mature but I don't think they've fine-tuned the blend between the velvet and red sides and completely figured out what a mature sound/look with each of the elements could actually be. Its also not bad to have a cute concept, and calling RV cute isn't belittling them. Cute concepts don't equal inferiority to more "serious" and "quirky" concepts. When cute is taken seriously its bad ass, no joke, moving as hell, and powerful hence Gfriend and Apink imo. RV sometimes seems lost to me and lacking in power, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them for what they are trying to do. Carrying on the experimental torch while F(x) is locked in the dungeon is something that I appreciate about them.

7. soshilovelife

Currency:
    Agree with you on Red Velvet looking for a middle ground between concepts, Peekaboo is the first example of it. Nobody will think of them as cute but definitely that word is not out of their arsenal of things to use either.

emanresu and JunsuK like this.
  8. JunsuK

JunsuK Super Rookie

Currency:
    Wizard
    Very well put.

emanresu likes this.
  9. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Oh no expertise here!

Or were you teasing me? Haha.

I'm just a mere fanboy who likes cute things.

:merongk:

Cute concepts to me are those that evoke a juvenile, childish or innocent aesthetic, and in my interpretation are defined by a distinct lack of overt aggression or "edge".

If it's not endearing, it's not "Cute".

I agree that RV incorporates cute elements in their concepts, but in my personal view their "edge" and more RV-esque quirk and spin keeps me personally from being able to classify them as a "cute" group.

But I am perhaps a purist in that sense.

And perhaps also in the minority.

Most don't seem to be so rigid in their conceptions of what makes a Cute Concept group.

In any case I freaking love RV, whatever the hell they are.

I still gotta go over their album.

I'll be resuming our PMs tomorrow when I get back on my keyboard. I'll try to listen to some tonight. Also I watched a drama with my mom lol. I'll have to tell you about it.

:)

anat4ever and soshilovelife like this.
  10. reveluvs

reveluvs Celebrity

Currency:
    this whole labeling rv as cute started bc of rookie. And red flavor didnt help that. RV isnt cute! none of their other songs if any of u non fans even bother to listen to their other songs instead of just 2 title tracks, u would realize theyre not cutesy....lol. Idc if u say their music is bad bc some of it is but its not “cute”. Even peekaboo wasnt cute. the chorus is just more highpitched. The mv is creepy. Their live stages arent cute either. Comparing them with twice is....stupid. lol. While twice is singing abt likey-ing someone and twirling their hair while eating bubble gum ice cream, Red velvet is planning on murdering a pizza boy and trying to perfrom sacrafices on him. So.... I rest my case! :D

anat4ever, emanresu and soshilovelife like this.
  11. Peaches_Rose

Peaches_Rose Celebrity

Currency:
    why is Irene so dead and emotionless?
    and it was 8:08 PM in India. yep 12 hours apart.
    we are GMT + 5: 30

emanresu likes this.
  12. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    What's this about Irene??

13. Peaches_Rose

Peaches_Rose Celebrity

Currency:
    oh i was looking at the pictures in this thread and meant to type it as a separate comment. it was left there by accident.

emanresu likes this.
  14. the3rdtWin

the3rdtWin Public Figure

Currency:
    INNEReVeLINKOrbit, all around kpop/r&b fanbrotha
    i agree with alot that been previously said.

its not what you do, its how you do it.
    really, this has been the case with red velvet since their debut track "happiness".

soshilovelife likes this.
  15. soshilovelife

Currency:
    I wasn't teasing you on purpose, you enjoy cute more than I do so I think you have a better cute radar than I do.

And thanks for telling me what makes cute to you, it gives me a better idea of what are we looking at when we used the word cute.

I agree on lack of overt aggression and edge. And I think that endearing becomes annoying to me, thus I'm not one to delve into cute unless it's a group I really like. I also think that Oh my girl doesn't completely fit the cute label either because I don't find them as annoying as other cutesy groups.

And I agree that Red Velvet is quirky and will never be labeled as cute, but they can be sexy, murderous and badass and they will still have the quirky label on them because of the way they twist those concepts to fit their own. The closest they came to cute was Red flavor, and yet they were seemingly doing therapy on fruit, and to some extent Happiness.

They are not full on cute because the minute you think they are cute enough they may take out a crossbow and kill you. Even more, they even do the crawl position, which is common in sexy concepts and yet nobody calls them sexy group for that. Be natural and Automatic also have a sexy vibe to me and yet no one calls them sexy for these. But apparently it fits their quirky concept this time and sexy is more present on their velvet side.

And take your time and listen to the album when you feel like it. I love more songs the more I listen to it.

And I'll be waiting for your pm about your mom watching a drama with you. I want details!

:D

They were on drugs in Rookie and a little nostalgic in Red flavor. And I think people have been talking about Red Velvet going cute since Russian Roulette which is the first song in which they repeat a word other than lalala and when they sound a little more high pitched than usual. I think they use cute to lure you in and then drag you to their crazy, quirky world. At least in the way they look and sound sometimes but once they start moving we all know that was all a façade. I agree with you on their music not being cute in the way Twice's is. But from the music alone people may think they are cutesy sometimes, at least in their titles.

#55 soshilovelife, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    reveluvs likes this.
  16. reveluvs

reveluvs Celebrity

Currency:
    yeah i can see that sorta. But not all their titke tracks sound cutesy...and none of their side tracks are. I mean twice is cute. Thats their main image. I think rv has sort of a variety....they can have parts of their image be on the cuter side but thats not their main image so idk why everyone is trying to label them as JUST cute. I dont even find rookie that cute even if theyre saying lookie lookie....repeating a word isnt necessarily cute imo. unless theyre using toddler voices lol. ok im getting too deep into this but u get what i mean? lol.

anat4ever and soshilovelife like this.
  17. soshilovelife

Currency:
    Totally I agree with you on everything you said here, Red Velvet doesn't fall fully into just one category.

reveluvs likes this.