What is the reason for Pledis

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by RV_TW_BP, May 24, 2019.

Tags:
?

Reason?

1. Kyla

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Kyulkyung

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. New girl group

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Fromis9

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Misogynist

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RV_TW_BP

RV_TW_BP Trainee

to make Pristin go on hiatus for 2 years and then disband them?

At first, I thought it was because of Kyla. But then to think about it, Pledis gave Nu'est many comebacks with 4 people while the good looking guy (Minhyun???) was still in Wanna One. They could have also given Pristin a full group comeback sans Kyla.

Another reason could have been that Pledis is misogynist and hated its female groups. But they never disbanded After School.

One more reason is that they are preparing to debut a new girl group with the girl from Produce 48 that took away Nako's position in ITNW. So they needed the resources for the new girl group since Pristin made no big profit, maybe even deficit, for Pledis unlike their male acts.

They also co-manage Fromis9 who is somewhat more successful than Pristin. Fromis9 continuously delivered bops since their debut. So Pledis wanted to maximize the profits with minimal efforts.

One last reason I thought of was that Kyulkyung is making banks in China, way more than how much Pristin as a group made for Pledis. And Pledis saw that they would get less money if the money Kyulkyung earned in China is divided among the group. So they decided to disband so that Kyulkyung's earnings can be divided by 2 and Pledis would get more.

I thought of all possible reasons but they all made little to no sense. Please educate me guys! Kyulkyung was my favorite T.T

2. jojomomo

jojomomo Public Figure

I'm sure it all comes down to money...
    Pristin was not profitable and Pledis didn't have faith that they would become more successful in the future.
    Pledis did attempt a rescue effort by putting out Pristin V last year. That was kinda lukewarm.
    It's fair to say that Pledis isn't great at marketing or producing girl groups.
    They probably initially thought that Pristin will be an easy hit riding on the success of IOI, but they misjudged the market.
    I don't know why they weren't disbanded earlier, maybe internally Pledis had ongoing debates about the fate of Pristin.

RV_TW_BP and emanresu like this.
  3. conrowall

conrowall Newbie

Pledis with Stone Entertainment contributes to OTR the joint division that manages Iz*One and Fromis. Stone is part of CJ Enm which is a big money entertainment company. If Pledis handles their training and contributes to the production they’ll give priority to Iz*One and then Fromis to fulfill the terms of that contract. Unfortunately for Pristine Pledis probably just went after the guaranteed money if those other 2 girl groups are funded by CJ Enm.

RV_TW_BP likes this.
  4. holy_sistar

holy_sistar Public Figure

the problem with Pristin is way before fromis_9

ppiddakhage, RV_TW_BP and kween_eunbi like this.
  5. emanresu

emanresu Icon

This.

It is almost certainly money.

A big group like that is not cheap.

PRISTIN was in all likelihood not profitable and PRISTIN V wasn't the life preserver they hoped it might be.

RV_TW_BP and jojomomo like this.
  6. Manoko

Manoko Married to @blossom_girl
    . .

Basic Bitch Cult
    theyre scared of little fat chunks

RV_TW_BP and Boraoju like this.
  7. Manoko

Manoko Married to @blossom_girl
    . .

Basic Bitch Cult
    This might've been the reason, but just some mild critique at pledis

First of all, they're not some nugu company theyve been in the game for a while and they should know more than anyone that you dont just hit it big with the first few tries. Yeah pristin wasnt bp level of income, but I think they were doing decently for themselves and the company underestimated them. They jumped into the conclusion that they wouldnt make any profit....a year into the debut. How can you predict such thing just a year into debut? I've seen smaller company groups last for many many years despite earning pretty much nothing.

RV_TW_BP, jojomomo and Orenjihiru like this.
  8. deadleaves

deadleaves Celebrity

its abt profits at the end of the day!

RV_TW_BP likes this.
  9. jojomomo

jojomomo Public Figure

I agree that Pledis was not good at producing, marketing, managing Pristin. They deserve the criticism.
    Sometimes in business the nugu are the ones who persevere. They have little, so they also have little to lose. They're already on their last string so they just hang on for as long as they can.
    Bigger company has more fund, they can invest more, but it also means they can potentially be throwing more money at a lost cause. The management would be thinking if they should be investing in another more profitable project than the current unprofitable one.
    Also companies have different culture and management style. SM for example has shown to be quite tenacious with their debuted groups. Pledis isn't so. They seem to lack conviction or maybe they're risk-averse because that's how the owners/partners prefer it.
    In the last 2-3 years the market has been saturated with new GGs. The supply is growing a lot quicker than the demand. I think both Pristin and Pristin V were okay, but not overly special. If I were to gamble, I wouldn't bet money on them either. Never mind the top GGs, there are so much competition even at mid-level: Lovelyz, OMG, WJSN, Momoland, Loona, G-idle, Itzy, CLC, Gugudan, AOA, and more.

#9 jojomomo, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    RV_TW_BP and Manoko like this.
  10. Hyoeulgi

Hyoeulgi Rookie

CLC sold only 10k below every comebacks yet they have stable comebacks and didn't have any hiatus.
    And Pristin sold 40k on their debut, thats big for a rookie group. So idk whats wrong with pledis.

RV_TW_BP likes this.
  11. cheezyfriez

cheezyfriez Newbie

opinion trigger warning :

I think it's because they were never going to be a successful group. Or at least that's how Pledis saw it. They debuted at a really bad time when the market was oversaturated with new girl groups. To make things worse they had horrible music and average at best visuals. There was really nothing that made them stand out over other girl groups. Their physical sales had already regressed by 16k for their FIRST comeback which is a really bad sign. Their digital sales took a similar nosedive and this was all before their hiatus. Then Pristin V happened and their physical sales dropped by almost another 10k. Pledis decided to just end them instead of throwing money into a black hole like Cube does with CLC. It's a scummy thing to do but makes sense from a business standpoint. Now all they have to worry about is profitable groups like Seventeen and Nuest.

#11 cheezyfriez, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    RV_TW_BP likes this.
  12. kween_eunbi

kween_eunbi Newbie

I'm waiting for Kyla to spill some tea on her IG story, tbh. There are definitely reasons we don't know about, but they ain't gon be good, knowing Pledis. Really hoping Lee Kaeun and Heo Yunjin are okay too.

RV_TW_BP likes this.