What is kpop. Let's sit down, talk and tell everyone a little about the history of the genre.

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by JiDrew, May 13, 2019.

1. JiDrew

JiDrew Trainee

Currency:
    Being one of a kind
    Hey everyone
    I didn't want to make an articale out of this in the main website since well...
    I dont know how to :) Also since it's filled with my personal ''professional'' (Don't roll your eyes yet. No stop it I see you -.-)
    I hope that you will have fun reading this thread of mine and respect mine and any other commentator's opinions without using any foul language or harm. Hopefully this article may also teach you about this genre. Begin *Morgan Freeman voice*

I found kpop through bts. I had joined in their blood,sweat and tears era(thanks recommended section on youtube) and fell deeply in love, not just for their looks, but primarily their dance more than their music( As I'm a dancer and largely interested in it) Later on I feel in love with their music, was curious about kpop and searched into other groups. Today I'm a V.I.P, and I stan that group of (now) 4 so hard <3

For a long time I've been wanting to talk about and tell as many people as I can about what kpop truly is. I wanted to talk about the groups and the history.

So many competition has been going around recently talking about phrases like ''Bts paved the way'' and Blackpink..well they don't really have a fixed phrase =.= and Nct and Twice and so on.

At first it couldve been taken as normal fandom banter with all the fanwars and what not. But then it started to get serious, the fanwars got too personal. The reason why it ticked me off was this: Ofcourse celebrate your group's achievements! Support them and give them all the love and attention they deserve! BUT the moment you disrespect other groups, especially senior groups, without knowing the facts. That's when you bring harm to your own group.

Kpop has been growing since well over a decade now. There have been generations that flourished in this industry with massive fanbases.

You have the first generation, with groups like Sechkies, Seotaji& the boys, g.o.d, Chakra and so on.
    They began kpop. They were a massive hit in Korea and they set the first standards. Ofcourse it was only just the beginning.

You have the second generation the class that flourished under the name that is known as the Golden Age of Kpop. They're the class known to have ended it. Many groups have flourished and risen to very high levels in this era, constantly rivalling each other and raising the bar. Many groups have gotten (deserving) names in this era

Superjunior, The Hallyu Kings
    SNSD, The Nation's Girlgroup
    Bigbang, The Kings of Asia
    Shinee, The Princes of Kpop
    2ne1, The Queens of Kpop
    Tvxq, The Kings of Kpop
    Exo, The Nation's Pride

(I was particularly unsure about Tvxq as they're said to have closed off the first generation as well as the start off the second generation. I was also unsure about Exo but it mostly seems fair that they were the last products of the Golden Age of Kpop.)

This Generation is my favourite to be honest.

Then you have the 3rd Generation, The prodigies, mostly believed to have started by Bts. It is the present, what we're witnessing now is the 3rd generation, also filled with incredible groups like Got7, Red Velvet, Twice, Blackpink, Mamamoo, Stray Kids, etc

Mind you I am not making any comparison, 100's of groups have debuted among these generations and so many of them have become huge successes, I am not leaving anyone out.

There you have it. The one thing that everyone needs to know is to respect all these generations. The 1st generation literally started the flames of the kpop industry. That alone is enough explanation. The nicknames of some of the groups mentioned in the second generation is also enough explanation to tell you how incredibly big they are. These generations paved the way to the 3rd generation. They didn't pass the torch down, they used their flames to ignite and inspire new groups, to carry their legacy where they left off, to make the industry, their country and themselves proud.

People like to often say that none of these groups are big. Numbers don't speak it all you know? You wouldn't believe the insane number of people that pirate songs and download them off youtube and other apps. Don't believe that those numbers are ever counted. It's not like we all actually download and stream their songs through the rightful apps. Come on, we all do this crap. Stop it -.- .

If you want to say groups like Bts and Blackpink made kpop huge internationally, wrong. It's not that they didnt make it big. It was already huge. If you look at the insane concerts that artists like psy,snsd,bb,superjunior, g-dragon, etc have had all over the world, you will agree with me. Do you know why it looks like they're small now? Do you know what made the difference?

Answer: Social Media. That's it. That's just it.
    It didn't exist before, but it does now, and its exploding, and its being used as incredible marketing strategies by kpop groups, in a good way.
    But like I said, It didn't exist back then. But even then these groups were massive. All through mostly word of mouth and listening. Can you believe it? Even without social media influence these groups were that big? That's gotta be something right?
    That's just it...It's all time...Time isn't ever lasting, it passes...Every group was big in their own era but that doesn't give you the right to compare and insult. I can confidently tell you right now that if those groups, all the way to seo taji and the boys existed in today's time? Today's groups would definetly have extremely difficult competition.
    Social media was a major influence that accelerated the popularity. That's just it.

No bts didn't pave the way. No blackpink isn't better than wonder girls. They're all amazing in their own rights. Bts is truly an outstanding group that is constantly raising the bar. But don't say they're raising the bar for other groups. In time definetly it will continue to grow and even those bars will be overcome. But what you should be doing is just focusing on their music, not just their achievements. it was never about becoming the best for them, it wasn't about their sales, their youtube numbers, none of that. They joined this industry because of a passion to create music and share it with the world for them to enjoy. People are forgetting that these days...come back to the centre of it all...celebrate this music, celebrate your group. But stop disrespecting other groups, especially the senior groups. They were incredible in their own time.

Today it's the 3rd generation's time. Stop wasting your time comparing it. Celebrate it..Enjoy it...Love it...That's all they wanted, that's all there should be.

I hope this helps a lot of people that are new to kpop, i hope this settles a lot of arguments. I apologise to anyone that feels unnecessarily or necessarily hurt by this article in anyway. This is my opinion afterall. But I hope this makes you smile, I hope this gives you pride in your group.

Thank you.
    Smile, Pabos 84249.jpg

2. Narumaki66

Narumaki66 Public Figure

Currency:
    I'M LITERALLY CRYING THANK YOU SO MUCH

3. aceri

aceri Trainee

Currency:
  4. Sameera96

Sameera96 Elite

Currency:
    You just said it your self you came into kpop because of BTS.

I don’t know why kpop fans are so hell bent on giving kpop history to Armys especially. Accept it that the majority of army’s do not listen to kpop. Army’s are a diverse bunch.

5. JiDrew

JiDrew Trainee

Currency:
    Being one of a kind
    I'm sorry but this post was not directed at armys

6. JiDrew

JiDrew Trainee

Currency:
    Being one of a kind
    Edited out

#6 JiDrew, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  7. justsaying_260

Currency:
    Couldn't agree with this more :') <3

8. JiDrew

JiDrew Trainee

Currency:
    Being one of a kind
    Put em up there bruv

9. annajo

annajo Newbie

Currency:
    Let me share some history of KPOP. Korean pop is a part of Korean Wave which marks a global phenomenon originating in South Korea at the beginning Guided London Tours of the 21st century that had a strong impact throughout the world and influenced contemporary culture, music, film, and television industry.

10. Harmony7

Harmony7 Newbie

Currency:
    It was very knowledgeable to read. Reading this article helps the music lovers to know in detail about kpop and it's origin. Find similar musical notes, articles and reviews at TechSARIGA Club, which is a virtual music studio. You can explore, create & collaborate your music at TechSARIGA. Also find muisc lovers with whom you can discuss and get help to make music online.

11. XxdlwlrmaxX

XxdlwlrmaxX Rookie

Currency:
    Facebook was around. YouTube was around. I think that’s “social media” :).

Ailees_Nudes likes this.
  12. htd85s

htd85s Trainee

Currency:
    Alpaca Apologist
    In my teenage years 2006-2012 the only place we could access internet was either in a cyber cafe or at school. Only a few privilege had internet and computers at home. Piracy of songs and movies was also at its highest during that time.

13. Unicorn_Pee

Unicorn_Pee Rookie

Currency:
    Not many from the 1st gen here so I’ll add some more. Seo Taiji and Boys were big in Korea not outside. Seo Taiji introduced new hip hop beats and style to SK when before it was all folksie/ballad type music. This contributed to their pop music industry growth because others started using hip hop and RnB beats in pop songs.

Most modernized Asian countries, such as Japan, already had access to hip hop and pop music from western countries. People who travel can bring back music and sometimes music videos were shown on TV. TV, radio, and teen magazines were the large factors in promoting music when social media did not exist.

The first real “idol” group in terms of good looks, dancing, and pop music was H.O.T. Big social media ofc was not around yet but people had ways of sharing music via MP3s, download/streaming sites, forums, etc. Asian countries in close proximity to SK also were able to enjoy pop music from H.O.T., SES, FinKL, god, etc. Old entertainment magazines from HK actually had features of the hottest pop groups in SK.

These groups also did promotional work in China. HOT was the first idol group to hold a concert in China and it sold out. China was also behind on the times with music (for obvious reasons) so SK pop music was cool to the new generation.

The 2nd most popular/successful bg from 1st gen was g.o.d. They were formed by JYP and some of their songs were produced by Hitman Bang. (Also the first bg I stanned.)

Baby VOX was a first gen gg and promoted a lot in China as well. There were SK artists who went to China and became more popular there instead of SK, such as Jang Nara. Fun fact: Yoon Eun Hye from Baby VOX went on to star in Goong (Princess Hours) and Coffee Prince, two highly popular SK dramas across Asia that contributed to the hallyu wave.

That’s all I recall for now.

14. Unicorn_Pee

Unicorn_Pee Rookie

Currency:
    Also gonna touch on how Kpop and music from Asia in general were able to be shared without YouTube back then. The late 90s (97-99) was the infancy of the hallyu wave. PCs just became necessary household items and not everyone could afford one. A good PC back then was 256MB of RAM and 2GB of HD space. Want that CD-RW drive? That’s gonna cost extra. A PC with these specs was maybe around $2k.

So how did people access music? You could have that one “rich” friend with a PC downloading music illegally burn you some CDs. You could also buy cheap bootleg CDs from China which was rampant and also available in Chinatowns across the world. If you were in university, the library and computer lab as well as dorm Ethernet were your best friends. This was how a lot of illegal sharing of music and movies went on. And I really feel people underestimate how fast things can spread among bored, procrastinating students.

Primarily, Kpop and Cpop were shared among Asian American kids back then. Jpop was more popular among Western fans. Eventually, non-Asians were able to be introduced to Kpop and Cpop through Asian friends/gfs/bfs because again, young bored students like to share things especially pop culture.

There were also English language sites (Soompi, BJunkyard) that updated news on current and debuting groups, new MVs, idol CFs, concerts, etc. This allowed people who could not read Korean to keep up to date on Kpop.

Again, this was the infancy period of the hallyu wave. SK just started to push their music, dramas, and movies as an export to other countries. If anyone wants to delve into the SK economy during this period and why exporting entertainment was done, feel free.

dancingbella23 likes this.
  15. dancingbella23

dancingbella23 Public Figure

Currency:
    Pirate King
    Yep 100%

I also want to point out that the general Hallyu Wave actually started with K dramas... then it kinda trickled down to kpop. Like people noticed Skorea on the map because of k dramas, then kpop came and it just became bigger and bigger.

Unicorn_Pee and Ailees_Nudes like this.
  16. Ailees_Nudes

Ailees_Nudes Rookie

Currency:
    Gods of Kpop not Kings

TVXQ started the 2nd after the first ended
    They are also the reason the 2nd ended

Exo actually

Social Media existed back then
    IDK what country you lived in but
    Myspace, YT and all other SNS sites already existed during the 2nd gen
    The only new ones are FB, IG ans Twitter
    As for popularity
    The Kpop niche has always existed
    having a tour to that niche is nothing new
    Its when they started touring outside the niche is when Kpop blew up
    No one outside of the niche ever cared about Kpop
    Psy is proof of that
    Most people didn't even know he was Korean
    The 3rd Gen spread Kpop outside of Asia
    Its undeniable

From Someone who's been a Cassiopeia since the start and has seen it all

17. Akeryu

Akeryu Rookie

Currency:
    Being busy
    I also think social medias and internet getting worldwide are the biggest changes too.

If snsd or big bang would blow up now they would probably be as big on sns as bts or bp.

The youngsters who gonna come saying fb and yt existed back then. Ok they existed but was internet so global? Did children own smartphone at 8 yo back then? In 2010 msn was the real deal lol (if some people actually knew it). Hell my first smartphone and computer were bought when I was 16 (entering high school). My first internet data was during my college freshman year. Now I see children in elementary school caring around their ipad/iphone, 10 yo children having snapchat etc.

We live in the internet/sns era now

18. Unicorn_Pee

Unicorn_Pee Rookie

Currency:
    Yep. Popular K-dramas were broadcast all over Asia and that’s how the hallyu wave picked up momentum. The first dramas I remember were Autumn in My Heart and Winter Sonata. People would travel to sites where Winter Sonata was filmed just to take pictures.

19. dancingbella23

Currency:
    Pirate King
    and we had "internet time" at home because we were using dial ups LOL. Ya and my phone was a flippy phone with no data. So yes, social media did contribute to the 3rd gen success

20. dancingbella23

Currency:
    Pirate King
    that. exactly. Autumn in My Heart and Winter Sonata were so huge. That was when people noticed the hallyu wave. like I didn't even know anything about SKorea until those dramas because my mom was watching them