Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

What happened to Gaon Chart?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by jagerjack, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jagerjack

jagerjack Artist

I wanted to see the downloads and streams for Ikon and Momoland but no numbers are shown. Is there a policy change or should I just wait?
    Any other source for downloads?

2. Rand_Al_Thor

Yes they changed at the beginning of the year. Its just this useless score now.

L_catzzz and jagerjack like this.
  3. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Buddy gang
    They don't give donwloads and streamings but they give the digital score which is made by downloads, streamings and the bgm chart.
    Yeah i want to slap them too.

4. Rand_Al_Thor

The worst thing is we know true counts are out there, because that is how the agencies/artists know what they are owed and will get paid on.

Maybe we can get Sm/some of the big companies to start releasing the numbers. That would drive a call for less biased counts.

jagerjack and Juanlag like this.
  5. Christmas_tree

That useless index chart:mad::mad::mad:

jagerjack likes this.
  6. kekebee

kekebee Rookie

Here is my take on this issue.
    There are a few new things happening in the Korean music market. You can use them to make things more transparent, maybe if fans collectively ask for it.

First, Hanteo is building their own chart. At the moment, Gaonchart is the only official music chart in the country and Hanteo just updates physical sales. Hanteo is now expanding. They are moving onto the Hanteo 2.0 system, planning to hold their own awards show, and already signed MOU with RIAK, the Recording Industry Association of Korea to enhance their authenticity. My guess is they are going to make something like Billboards or UK charts that comebines physicals and digitals, and maybe other things into one comprehensive chart. I think it is fine to have more than one official chart in the country, like in Japan where they have Oricon and Billboard Japan, something like that. Fans can ask Hanteo to give out more numbers and even have them do certifications like gold, platinum,... Hanteo may consider it when they launch their chart.

Another thing that is new is Iriver. Right now MelOn and its parent company Loen are too powerful like they are a monoppoly in the industry. Big3 have always kinda rebelled against them because Loen charges them too much money for their services, so they formed KT music and Genie in the past. Recently it's been announced SM JYP and Bighit will come together to use SK Telecom's Iriver as their distributor. Iriver will launch their own music streaming site soon, and I am lowkey hoping that Iriver would grow fast to rival MelOn in the market or even replace them as the frontrunner in the industry. Fans can maybe ask this new music service Iriver to give more detailed numbers on their own chart, which would be convenient.

The thing is, it is probably not Gaon's decision to make the change in how they display their charts this time. On their Ask Gaon section, many people have been doing queries like why Gaonchart did not put raw numbers on certain charts and only gave the order of rank, for example the BGM chart, and Gaon had clarified it was because the BGM services that report to them like Kakao Music and Naver Blog request Gaon to not disclose that information to the public. Essentially Gaonchart just compiles data and doesn't get affected by the changes in streaming, downloads, bgm sales. More than likely, it is the companies like MelOn, Genie, Bugs and even agencies/artists that ask Gaonchart not to give out numbers because they don't want to reveal too much about their business or show all the intricate details about their exact sales.

woase, CrazyBunnyJay and jagerjack like this.
  7. jagerjack

jagerjack Artist

It is possible they are doing it to avoid award controversies.

8. Rand_Al_Thor

Its the weirdest thing ever. For most of the life of the pop music industry you have been able to get counts or at the very least bench mark awards about songs and albums.

This is clearly a leap backwards, and in the hyper information age is frankly unacceptable.
    Its bad enough that apple is a manipulative monster (lol ok i do not like apple :) )

the future is streaming in some form, but as long as there are folks consuming music there is a metric to count it. Obfuscating that like Gaon is doing (weather forced or not) is a bad thing.
    Many of these companies are publicly held if they are trying to hide sales for whatever reason its short sighted.

9. Nicklaus

Nicklaus EXO Trash + XiuChen Shipper

Uni Student
    Losing access to downloads and streams was a good thing, not bad tbh. Kpop was becoming a toxic cesspit of kids comparing who's was bigger lol

CrazyBunnyJay likes this.
  10. Yabie

Yabie Star

the bgm chart annoys me, its so useless and its just there to give idols higher score.

Juanlag likes this.
  11. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Buddy gang
    Exactly, i don't even know how it's calculated, the chart is so strange and always so different to the download and streaming chart so it sometimes affects a lot in the overall score...

rjkoya3579 and Yabie like this.
  12. Yabie

Yabie Star

yeah. im not sure if the changes were made to prevent fandoms from mass downloading to win digital award, or to cover it up for Gaon awards so that nobody suspects them . lol
    But knowing Gaon, its the second one :confused:

jagerjack, Rand_Al_Thor and Juanlag like this.
  13. Rand_Al_Thor

I would agree if there were some bench marks. legit levels like the RIIA.
    The charts were flawed in that we only got to see the top 100 (except for the period when we got 400. ) But i prefer mostly solid metrics over a number that is both too large to be useful and way too black box in origin.

14. purnhub

purnhub Artist

purn star
    You have a good point there but I hope Hanteo too to make it fair.. :angryr::angryr:

Nicklaus likes this.
  15. Nicklaus

Nicklaus EXO Trash + XiuChen Shipper

Uni Student
    Certifications would be a nice compromise, that's a true, but even just bringing kpop back to basics like whether or not a song hit #1 rather than the exact download numbers would be nice

CrazyBunnyJay and Rand_Al_Thor like this.
  16. kekebee

kekebee Rookie

don't say it is useless. I don't get why people belittle the bgm chart so much.
    most of the time the bgm charts reflects more accurately of wider demographics because young people tend to use streaming services more.
    i can think only one or two idols that strategically use the bgm chart to help boost digitals, so no, it is not there to give idols higher scores.
    and for koreans, BGM was a highly popular way to consume music, dating back more than 15 years to the Cyworld (something similar to xanga, myspace...) era, it was the predominant thing before digital streaming became common. i remember i used to give my friends Dotori cyber currency (for cyworld) so they could put bgm on their mini-hompy.

well, to tell you, Gaon has always been a revenues chart from its onset. So technically, it doesn't matter whether you spend amount 1usd on any of digital download, digital stream or bgm. It should give the same points for your overall score.

Nothing has changed in Gaonchart except that now, they would give more weight to streaming when people buy the stream+download package. As for streaming-only pass, or individual digital downloads, no change at all... just that when you purchase the streaming+download bundle, they will adjust so that streaming is weighted more for the score. In regards to the awards show criteria, absolutely nothing changed. They have always used scores from the overall digital chart (sales revenue), for the last two years, 30-day aggregate for monthly digital award and 6-week total sales for quarterly physical albums. For the award show in 2019, it's safe to say the rule will be kept the same.

Actually, we do know when something reaches some benchmark thing. I remember last year when twice knock knock surpassed 100,000,000 streams (but couldn't be confirmed on Gaonchart.co.kr because KK had fallen off TOP100 couple months before), news stories covered it in November 2017, way before we could verify it on the 2017 year-end charts, which were released last month. The count is available to the idols and their agency, so what happens is the agency PR team asks writers to report about it through media outlets, just like how they hype up so-and-so's preorder numbers or whatever through news reports before any charts are updated. I think that even after the changes, the Gaonchart columnist will continue to tell us about it if someone has reached a milestone or the agency themselves can hype it if they want to.

CrazyBunnyJay likes this.
  17. Yabie

Yabie Star

so you're telling me that Sechkies song was a bigger hit than IU, BB4 and YJS because they won cuz of bgm, same as Kokobop.
    maybe it used to be in the past, but it sure isn't anymore lol.

18. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Buddy gang
    No man, i'll explain you tomorrow, let me rest ^^

19. kekebee

kekebee Rookie

Well Gaonchart never said they measure how big of a hitsong something is. It strictly is a chart that measures profit, from its very inception. They are supported by KMCIA, the Korea Music Content Industry Association, the purpose of which is to protect the rights on musical content and make sure artists get paid what they worked for, so the essence of it is to tally up the sales. Yeah and I say besides exo, sechskies, and maybe wannaone, all the other songs on the bgm chart are more like what my aunt would listen to. I don't think just a couple outliers invalidate the entire chart.
    And for anyone that says it like it is so easy for fandoms to use those strategies. To win the monthly digital award means to top the digital chart for 4-5 consecutive weeks. A simple comparison would be to keep up physical album sales at first-week sales level for the whole month, which means for idols like exo, they would have to sell 600,000k copies each week for the whole month. It just cannot be done as easily as everybody thinks. Every fandom encourages people to keep streaing, keep downloading, and keep buying albums, but not every idol group gets to top the charts, especially for that long of a time period. I don't think any more groups would be successful in replicating what exo or sechskies have done. I guess it is fine if you don't like Gaonchart. There are gazillion different awards that have different criteria. But Gaonchart is the only award in Korea that is solely based on sales 100%, without input from judge, fanvotes, or other weird things.

CrazyBunnyJay and Yabie like this.
  20. Yabie

Yabie Star

I see what you mean, thanks for explanation.
    However,its still one open way/path of "manipulation" for big fandoms and if it becomes a trend, then whats the point of it.

yeah i don't actually. they were petty as fuck this year how they treated BTS, which just added the fuel on fire after few digital months bullshit.
    Them removing numbers doesn't really give me hope that they gonna be more fair, if its being run by an adult whos acting like a hormonal teenager.
    Since now we're not having numbers anymore, those numbers could easily become "judges" or "stronger force" which automatically removes the title of it being an only award show based " purely "on sales.