What exactly propelled BTS to such global levels?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by HardcoreBLINK, Feb 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HardcoreBLINK

Currency:
    Don't say social medi because alot of grous are using it to the max like NCT.
    Also with no foreign members i wonder what made them strike a cord with international fans,so what's it?
    Discuss.

visualkei4402 likes this.
  2. Golden_Wishes

Golden_Wishes Leader

Currency:
    Sarcastic Salad
    Intense US-based fandom and SNS
    That's basically it.
    BTS is a phenomena in and of itself

3. prodigy210

prodigy210 Idol

Currency:
    mainly their fandom

4. kpopbangtanpanda

kpopbangtanpanda Super Rookie

Currency:
    kpopper | gg stan
    I can't really believe how far they've come
    I became an ARMY in 2015, and never would I have predicted so much fame for my one and only ULT group at that time...
    at HYYH, they gained fame I suppose, but certainly not to this level

5. Binnie_Bunny

Binnie_Bunny Super Rookie

Currency:
    Lino's cat sitter
    they made sure to click with a very young audience (at their early years, when they were super young too) so they ''grew up" with them with other fans joining in the way (my opinion but idk)

6. deadleaves

deadleaves Celebrity

Currency:
    Armys definitely
    I would say music but that's completely subjective
    Also, bts members chemistry too because people check out but stay for the members....
    I remember when i first stanned them in 2016 nobody knew them in my college, but now literally everybody knows them or at least heard of them which is shocking coz kpop isnt really popular in my country

7. Zehila

Zehila Leader

Currency:
    I think even army’s are wondering I never could’ve imagined that a korean act that I found randomly would reach such heights.

I’d say a bit of luck, cohesive and meaningful discography, intelligent marketing and them being genuine. I can’t really explain how they managed to create this bond with the people following them to a point were their fandom became a PR

ARMYs are the main reason really. Because from what I understood when some saw that they were charting in the US, fandom shifted the attention and goals to include it, researched about it etc.

8. Ash_and_Thorns

Ash_and_Thorns Trendsetter

Currency:
    A Lazy Manager of Something
    I get what you're saying because I feel that way but that 'strategy' isn't unique to BTS , Kpop groups tend to click with a younger audience at the beginning too , add to that , the age demographic for BTS shows a bit of diversity ...

LastResort318 and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  9. Darkyoda

Darkyoda Married to @peachHeaven

Currency:
    Buddy Gang
    1. Under-dog status? I feel like people love to hop on to a good "zero to hero" story.
    2. BTS member themselves who seem to be good stan attractors. I haven't watched much of their stuff, personally but there must be something for them to gather an "Army" like this lol.
    3. Lastly, the music. Their b-sides are gold.

10. SpicyRoll

SpicyRoll Leader

Currency:
    I have no idea myself

11. HardcoreBLINK

Currency:
    Imo it's their music first and foremost
    The music attracted more armys.
    The multiple reality shows made armys develop such bond with the boys.
    Their pre love yourself albums were honestly amazing

Korainism likes this.
  12. CherrySoda

CherrySoda Super Rookie

Currency:
    Timing played a part. There has been no global boyband since One Direction disbanded. BTS have been working to fill the vacancy.

HardcoreBLINK likes this.
  13. dong_ii

dong_ii Married to @mochichu

Currency:
    I'll summarize

Dedicated fandom hype
    Good music and visuals
    Personalities which are so different from artists in other countries
    Under dog - people love underdogs

But yeah none of this would have mattered if people hadnt heard of them in the first place
    They didnt have a viral song or a national hit

It was their fandom that promoted them EVERYWHERE relentlessly till everyone had heard of them so much that they wanted to check them out

14. jichucalmdown

jichucalmdown Rookie

Currency:
    blackpink full album activist
    their fandom definitely. also blood sweat and tears, I think that's what really blew them up in like late 2016 early 2017. they also have good music and theyre talented. but I think sns and them being on twitter so much really helped them out because that's where stan culture really resides.

Korainism, AYUMOMAN and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  15. Zehila

Zehila Leader

Currency:
    I’d like to say while their use of social may be a factor you just don’t garner this type of engagements even with the way kpop is fanculture oriented

Also seems like the group was so special armys felt like the need to spread the word and share to be known by others and became extra loud about them.

16. ForgottenSoul

ForgottenSoul A-List

Currency:
    I think its stuff like BTS bomb's and twitter interaction's i was watching all their bomb's.

Also their company focusing pretty much only on them helped.

17. Ash_and_Thorns

Ash_and_Thorns Trendsetter

Currency:
    A Lazy Manager of Something
    I don't think I can point out the exact reasons but I would say the main reason is the dedicated fandom : A.R.M.Ys
    This fandom is very interactive and very dedicated and passionate about BTS so they would go extra lengths to promote them using different means.

If you're asking why they have a dedicated and a big fandom of such calibre then it becomes a bit difficult since each have their own reasons for stanning : (no specific order )

1 - Their sincerity : I do not know how to explain it but there's something about the way they sing , rap , perform and simply talk that touches hearts based on what I've gathered from talking with fellow A.R.M.Ys (myself included) on this specific topic.
    2 - Their music : Their b-sides are gold . Musically , they're not doing anything avant-garde and nothing unheard of before (with a couple of exceptions ) but it's still really good , one of their strongest points is creating moods with their songs which is a much needed skill considering their concept driven albums , it's a also a huge plus that they're unpredictable with the genres and sounds they deploy and diversity always keep fans looking forward to albums . Lyrically , they know how to write in a way that makes you feel understood and relate to you a bit which is why A.R.M.Ys bring up lyrics all the time , it's because it tells the fans' individual stories when they themsleves can't.
    3 - Their personalities : They're relatable , quirky and a bit honest . Not to say that they show the fans everything but they still make the effort to be sincere . And they sort of feel like...good people in general ?
    4 - Timing : Timing defintely helped them with capturing attention , the Hallyu wave in 2016 is a good example of that : the timing was right and they delivered an amazing comeback BS&T right at the heart of it.
    5 -The engagement with the fans defintely helped too , they're interactive with the fans in all sorts of ways : Tweets (especially the silly one) , the songs , the fancafé. Big Hit as a company does really well in that aspect too : The HYYH storyline and the Notes , the untranslated vidoes that give fans room to interact even better with BTS and within the fandom.....
    6- The underdog story , I think ? I personally don't care about it that much or else I'll be a fan of 50+ groups and hundreds of other artists but I think it inspires some people...

That's what I can think of at least :3

18. ForgottenSoul

ForgottenSoul A-List

Currency:
    Their early music was so damn good loved it alot.

Ash_and_Thorns and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  19. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    Events Team . Moderator

Currency:
    Their fandom, the way they were marketed, and social media.

20. HSK

HSK Newbie

Currency:
    As a group or artist in general, without great music you won't get fans. Say what you want: that's simply how it works.

Frankly, their music is great and - more importantly - relatable on so many levels. Especially their older songs like "Tomorrow", "I Need U" or "Save Me". (The HYYH era really was their overall breakthrough with bops like "I Need U").

Another reason is BTS social behaviour. They constantly tweet, putting up 'Bangtan Bombs' (Vlogs), etc. No other group does this to that extend. But hey, if your group and fandom is lazy af, it's not BTS/ARMYs problem lol